Quick reacting school bus driver saves a student

Greybeard

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Doesn't work that way.  She isn't a cop.

Anyway... She opened the door too quickly knowing the lane was clear.  Big brain fart on her part.

It will raise awareness, won't do any good if drivers open door too quickly with a clear lane.  Next driver may not be quick to reverse their error. Yes, the driver errored too. I am being serious. I get she saved the kid.  That's awesome.  That door should have never opened so quickly with a clear lane. Another 30 seconds won't kill anybody.  Pun intended.

Bolded part: You were lulled into complacency.

Are you nuts? She opened the door too quickly? That's your takeaway from the video? She could make the kids stand there for 2 hours before opening the door and if someone decides to pull around a stopped bus, what difference does it make?

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... My intent was not to blast her. It happens.

I am not going as far as saying it was done on purpose to make it look less boring so they can pass more laws.  But it does help the cause.  

If she doesn't crack that door.  It looks like nothing.

I will just let it go.  She had to see vehicle at a distance!!!

Again, not blasting her.  I wonder when this happened?  Just recently or at an early date?

Sorry for being skeptical.  But she did open the door (and quickly closed it of course) knowing that lane had no stoppef vehicles.  I would have NEVER done that.

I guess I am attune to safety.  I lock 10s of 1,000s little boats around tows that push 10,000 tons and are 800 feet long by 70 wide.  I never release the small boats until the tow is lined up on the wall.  Even if it takes all day.  One clown will always shoot the gap.  Deep water... The will get crushed.  I always release where the small vessel has to go to shallow water, the big boat will run aground and stick in the bottom before the little vessel.

I see the same situation here.  She should have never opened those doors until she was 100% positive that car stopped (if she saw it)...OR: waited 30 seconds or more if lane was clear.

Sorry... It's just me.  The next bus driver may not be as quick to reverse the need to rush.

Again... I don't want to accuse this as a set-up as theatrics to get more laws passed.  That would be insanely unsafe.  But, she did crack those doors too quickly knowing a car was coming OR the lane was clear.  We are not seeing the whole timeline here.  When the bus came to a compete stop, when the arm went out, etc... etc... Maybe she did wait a minute, it appears she didn't... Opened too quickly.

Again, nobody got hurt.  Move on.  Adjust for next time.

The difference between her opening the doors or waiting is where the drama and emotion is made.  She waits, let's the vehicle run, that's a less powerful video and doesn't convey any urgency to make new laws... Or with less urgency.

Cameras are only a snapshot in time. They don't tell whole story.

It is what it is.

In NYS it is illegal to pass on the shoulder.   When I drive to my daughter's house, there is a school on a heavily traveled road that has a lot of housing developments on it.   Soule Road in Liverpool.   The road is very busy at times and there are a lot of turning cars.  They have multiple signs on the road in front of the school that state, it is illegal to pass on the shoulder.    I have still seen people pass on the shoulder in that area.   Between the speed zone of 20 and the no passing on the shoulder, I think they could fund the police department.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Just saying... We aren't getting whole time line.  How long was bus stopped, guard down, lights on? Vehicle is going quick.  What's speed limit, road type.  If she stopped, opened doors too quickly, did vehicle have time to react, slam on brakes in what appears to be a vehicle doing over 40mph. Lane was obviously clear, vehicle sped by.  So if she didn't see it approaching, clear lane should have made her less quick to open doors, but again, we aren't getting the whole timeline. Good thing she is equally quick grabbing kids as she is opening (and to her credit, closing) doors!

Just saying.  Somebody has to play Devil's advocate. ?

Playing Devil's advocate is a beneficial practice as long as the argument is logical.

This is just stupid. It's the shoulder/breakdown lane on the right side. Not one that is being actively used. And you're judging speed based on that video... :doh:

5 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Your right, I too blame the driver. This is on her/him.

It is totally is on them.  But that door should have never opened that quickly! Unless we are not seeing whole time line.  Car going thay fast will slam on brakes and stop?  They would have skidded right through the person getting off bus.  They were speeding too.  Maybe Death Race 2000 was being run?  More points for the fast, agile children and less points for the wheelchairs, elderly nuns. ???

Trust me, I am a doorkeeper and know safety. I would like to see full timeline.

Vehicle must have been Canadian, they were passing on the right too!

And slow down people... Just got on the board, I will make my rounds posting.

16 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Playing Devil's advocate is a beneficial practice as long as the argument is logical.

This is just stupid. It's the shoulder/breakdown lane on the right side. Not one that is being actively used. And you're judging speed based on that video... :doh:

Fair enough!  Is is the shoulder, break down lane.  ???

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

In NYS it is illegal to pass on the shoulder.   When I drive to my daughter's house, there is a school on a heavily traveled road that has a lot of housing developments on it.   Soule Road in Liverpool.   The road is very busy at times and there are a lot of turning cars.  They have multiple signs on the road in front of the school that state, it is illegal to pass on the shoulder.    I have still seen people pass on the shoulder in that area.   Between the speed zone of 20 and the no passing on the shoulder, I think they could fund the police department.

Wow!  I assumed school bus just stopped in road to let student off across all lanes.

I suppose a bus can stop in any lane.  You're right. Are there situations where that could have NOT been the shoulder? Do we definitely know that it was the shoulder, or breakdown lane.  I didn't catch any comment on that.  Even if it was, a driver today... She had to see it speeding, I would have never cracked the door until all vehicles behind me were completely stopped.  That's all I am saying.  What's the rush?

5 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Are you nuts? She opened the door too quickly? That's your takeaway from the video? She could make the kids stand there for 2 hours before opening the door and if someone decides to pull around a stopped bus, what difference does it make?

We aren't getting the whole time line.  She had to see a speeding vehicle behind her.  Wait till that vehicle is completely stopped.  30 seconds.  Thats it.  When it stops, it effectively blocks the other vehicles behind that vehicles OR gives further back vehicles early warning.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

Yeah... It's beyond me... But people are driving more nuts in last 10 years.  Something is taking place in society.  I take my life in my hands turning left out of work.  Ford employees blow red light going to work. When it's red, only time traffic clears that I can make left out of work 700 feet east of that light.

And people wonder why there are red light cams.  I have actually changed my argument on red light cameras in the last 5 years.

48 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... It's beyond me... But people are driving more nuts in last 10 years.  Something is taking place in society.  I take my life in my hands turning left out of work.  Ford employees blow red light going to work. When it's red, only time traffic clears that I can make left out of work 700 feet east of that light.

And people wonder why there are red light cams.  I have actually changed my argument on red light cameras in the last 5 years.

My dad lives across from an elementary school - same one I attended.

Once upon that time, a much simpler time, it was mostly cows and cornfields, your closest  neighbor at least 100 yds away.  Cows used to wander across the street to graze in our yard.

Then, the domed stadium deal fell through, and since, Marrano, Essex, et al have bought every available piece of land between Harris Hill and Pavement, and put up at least a couple thousand new housing units.

Now, I don’t live there, but spend half my time there. (We moved there to escape the city - now, there are massive traffic jams in Lancaster, but none downtown.)

To the point, folks race down that once pastoral venue at 50 in a 30, 50 in a 15 on school days, despite the 15 MPH limit. And even on weekends, the playground is packed with young children.

WTF???   They are all young suburbanites, raising young children.

Do they not comprehend they’re driving past an elementary school to get home 30 seconds earlier?  That  they have kids of their own?

I would, just once, like to drive down their street at 50, and see how they react.

I have vented. Harrummphhh!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Senator said:

My dad lives across from an elementary school - same one I attended.

Once upon that time, a much simpler time, it was mostly cows and cornfields, your closest  neighbor at least 100 yds away.  Cows used to wander across the street to graze in our yard.

Then, the domed stadium deal fell through, and since, Marrano, Essex, et al have bought every available piece of land between Harris Hill and Pavement, and put up at least a couple thousand new housing units.

Now, I don’t live there, but spend half my time there. (We moved there to escape the city - now, there are massive traffic jams in Lancaster, but none downtown.)

To the point, folks race down that once pastoral venue at 50 in a 30, 50 in a 15 on school days, despite the 15 MPH limit. And even on weekends, the playground is packed with young children.

WTF???   They are all young suburbanites, raising young children.

Do they not comprehend they’re driving past an elementary school to get home 30 seconds earlier?  That  they have kids of their own?

I would, just once, like to drive down their street at 50, and see how they react.

I have vented. Harrummphhh!!

I agree! Thanx!

See how fast that vehicle was going past school bus!

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/11/2019 at 8:08 AM, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Why is the bus driver on their cell phone?

The Jeep driver should be dunked into the Outer Harbor repeatedly, in February, and then left outside in front of (formerly) Dug's Dive.