Quick reacting school bus driver saves a student

Greybeard

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

Why is video of what happened on a public road not available evidence? Did I miss something? 

It’s not like a wiretap! 

The car passed on the right.   On the shoulder/breakdown lane so nobody and no cameras caught the license plate.  

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/central-ny/2019/05/central-ny-school-bus-driver-who-saved-boys-life-im-just-doing-my-job.html

i agree that the rule that says a cop has to see it is messed up.  If it’s on camera that should be good enough. 

Edited by Gray Beard
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I find it infuriating that police don't spend more time patrolling for this.....should be an immediate $1,000 fine and license suspension.

Nanny State!

Yeah... And go soft on the kids? You are doing a great future disservice! Will that bus driver be there when the kid is 18 and pulls a "Michael Brown" (walks down middle of street)?  When they think that vehicles just naturally stop for all pedestrians and school buses?

~This PSA brought to you and paid for by PPP's "People on the Far Right."  MAMAA (Make Americans More Accountable Again)

^^^^ Of course I am joking! ^^^^^

Now... Serious, with a Zero-Fail POV:

Anyway... How about NOT opening the door until ALL vehicles have come to a stop.  She had to see that speeding vehicle well off in the distance before pulling that door open.  You don't pull the door open in that situation... She had to see that lane without vehicles that weren't stopped yet. Don't get me wrong... Maybe she didn't see the vehicle.  But she saw NO VEHICLES stopped, waiting.  I would have gave it a good solid 30-60 seconds?  What's a 1/2 minute or two?

Sorry to be so cynical.  I see RichardHead vehicle break the law and over-expeditious driver swinging door too fast knowing there is a clear lane. Now? They (School District) wants "to get the message out."  Now... In all seriousness, a law may do MORE harm if bus drivers start to mindlessly pull that door open ASSUMING drivers will stop. Extra laws I am for, but I hope it doesn't get the drivers to be complacent.

No.  Zero-Fail here. She HAD to see that vehicle off in distance, don't pull the door open until it is stopped.

Come on, logic & safety people.  Never assume.  That door should have never opened in first place, I would give her less of a hard time. But, that would look boring, less dangerous.   She had to see that vehicle?  Why did she mindlessly pull that door open before it stopped.

NOW hear me out.  I am not saying to exonerate the driver that passed the bus illegally. Totally their fault.  But, we are on a Zero-Fail mission here.  That door should have never opened so quickly in first place with a clear lane on that side.

#1. Safety, Safety, Safety, & MORE SAFETY!

#2. Good Order

#3. Be expeditious

#3 can always be compromised, #2 next... MAYBE.  BUT if #3 and possibly #2 (needs to be compromised) then #1 never is! Slow "the game" down! Grind it to a halt,  no vehicles were stopped on that side.  The lane was open. Never assume it's safe.  Only assume a vehicle will break the law in that situation, NOT obey it.

Sorry... To be Mr.Killjoy here, Captain Anti-Dr. Feelgood. That door should have never swung open so quickly in first place, even if it was for a split second.  She was being too expeditious to get that kid off the bus.  Thank God she she withdrew that urge and shut the door and grabbed him.

But... Heck, what do I know.

I know the emotional, illogical crowd will crucify me for this post. I have no ill feelings for the driver, she is still a hero, she corrected her partial mistake (opening the door too expeditiously before order, which is the vehicles around her, and final safety) I harbor ill will just for the dooshbag vehicle that sped through.  My intent is not to blame the driver.  Maybe next time she doesn't open that door so quickly knowing there is are no vehicles at a complete stop Vehicles at a complete stop will actually semi-protect the person exiting from the brain dead vehicles that may not stop.

What if that kid beat the door and her reach? Why they don't want anyone standing AND past the line (which he wasn't) until the bus is completely stopped and door completely open.  But, again what do I know.  LoL... Sorry, I am beating a dead horse? Carry on.  She still deserves an OTSCA (On The Spot Cash Award).

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

The car passed on the right.   On the shoulder/breakdown lane so nobody and no cameras caught the license plate.  

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/central-ny/2019/05/central-ny-school-bus-driver-who-saved-boys-life-im-just-doing-my-job.html

i agree that the rule that says a cop has to see it is messed up.  If it’s on camera that should be good enough. 

She did open the door too darn quickly for a clear lane.  What's the rush.  Now, if vehicles were at a complete stop, sure fling the doors open, let them fly!

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Why is video of what happened on a public road not available evidence? Did I miss something? 

It’s not like a wiretap! 

It's because the camera is not Your accuser.  We do have Constitutional rights.  

FWIW.  Red light cams are "ordinance" violations.  Not moving violations.  The registered owner gets the red light ticket.

There are LEO's that review the videotape, pictures, then determine if possibly a law was broken.  It's either paid, or taken for review.  The custodian of the camera can also be called.

Simply... It's a mess when it comes to not making this an ordinance violation.  

You have a constitutional right to face your accuser in court.  You want to do that with a @mead107 MeadRobot® that doesn't talk back?

Slippery slope.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's because the camera is not Your accuser.  We do have Constitutional rights.  

FWIW.  Red light cams are "ordinance" violations.  Not moving violations.  The registered owner gets the red light ticket.

There are LEO's that review the videotape, pictures, then determine if possibly a law was broken.  It's either paid, or taken for review.  The custodian of the camera can also be called.

Simply... It's a mess when it comes to not making this an ordinance violation.  

You have a constitutional right to face your accuser in court.  You want to do that witj a MeadRobot® that doesn't talk back?

Slippery slope.

The video evidence is available to back up the bus drivers eyewitness testimony. 

I’m just glad nobody was hurt! Hopefully it raises awareness! I almost got crushed in elementary/middle school once. Bus driver’s horn stopped me from stepping into my blind spot at Maple and Hopkins in Williamsville. I was so used to it being safe that I became stupid about it. Learned a lesson there! 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

The video evidence is available to back up the bus drivers eyewitness testimony. 

I’m just glad nobody was hurt! Hopefully it raises awareness! I almost got crushed in elementary/middle school once. Bus driver’s horn stopped me from stepping into my blind spot at Maple and Hopkins in Williamsville. I was so used to it being safe that I became stupid about it. Learned a lesson there! 

Doesn't work that way.  She isn't a cop.

Anyway... She opened the door too quickly knowing the lane was clear.  Big brain fart on her part.

It will raise awareness, won't do any good if drivers open door too quickly with a clear lane.  Next driver may not be quick to reverse their error. Yes, the driver errored too. I am being serious. I get she saved the kid.  That's awesome.  That door should have never opened so quickly with a clear lane. Another 30 seconds won't kill anybody.  Pun intended.

Bolded part: You were lulled into complacency.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Doesn't work that way.  She isn't a cop.

Anyway... She opened the door too quickly knowing the lane was clear.  Big brain fart on her part.

It will raise awareness, won't do any good if drivers open door too quickly with a clear lane.  Next driver may not be quick to reverse their error. Yes, the driver errored too. I am being serious. I get she saved the kid.  That's awesome.  That door should have never opened so quickly with a clear lane. Another 30 seconds won't kill anybody.  Pun intended.

I don’t have all the video and timing, but she doesn’t need to be a cop if someone passes a school bus stopped with the sign out. If I’m cutting my grass nearby, I want to be heard on that. Conversely, if the guy was actually innocent, I’ll tell that story too. 

25 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

She did open the door too darn quickly for a clear lane.  What's the rush.  Now, if vehicles were at a complete stop, sure fling the doors open, let them fly!

Hindsight is 20/20, especially with video.  We all fall into routines. That bus driver probably ran that and similar routes tons of times. The fact that the driver was still aware after opening the door should be commended not condemned IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

Hindsight is 20/20, especially with video.  We all fall into routines. That bus driver probably ran that and similar routes tons of times. The fact that the driver was still aware after opening the door should be commended not condemned IMO.

Totally agree!

Bend not break.  That's what she did!!!  

I am not condemning her.  Even if it appears I am.  Learn for next time.  Might seem over-cautious, slow. So be it.

She should still get some extra cash.  That ain't condemning.  It's learning too... Next bus driver may not be that sharp on their game.  Cut corner and the kid slips thru.

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Totally agree!

Bend not break.  That's what she did!!!  

I am not condemning her.  Even if it appears I am.  Learn for next time.  Might seem over-cautious, slow. So be it.

She should still get some extra cash.  That ain't condemning.  It's learning too... Next bus driver may not be that sharp on their game.  Cut corner and the kid slips thru.

It did appear to me that you were blasting her. Thanks for clarifying.

But you lost me with the extra cash comment (disagree) and the next bus driver comments (irrelevant, thats hiring practices)

32 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

It did appear to me that you were blasting her. Thanks for clarifying.

But you lost me with the extra cash comment (disagree) and the next bus driver comments (irrelevant, thats hiring practices)

Yeah... My intent was not to blast her. It happens.

I am not going as far as saying it was done on purpose to make it look less boring so they can pass more laws.  But it does help the cause.  

If she doesn't crack that door.  It looks like nothing.

I will just let it go.  She had to see vehicle at a distance!!!

Again, not blasting her.  I wonder when this happened?  Just recently or at an early date?

Sorry for being skeptical.  But she did open the door (and quickly closed it of course) knowing that lane had no stoppef vehicles.  I would have NEVER done that.

I guess I am attune to safety.  I lock 10s of 1,000s little boats around tows that push 10,000 tons and are 800 feet long by 70 wide.  I never release the small boats until the tow is lined up on the wall.  Even if it takes all day.  One clown will always shoot the gap.  Deep water... The will get crushed.  I always release where the small vessel has to go to shallow water, the big boat will run aground and stick in the bottom before the little vessel.

I see the same situation here.  She should have never opened those doors until she was 100% positive that car stopped (if she saw it)...OR: waited 30 seconds or more if lane was clear.

Sorry... It's just me.  The next bus driver may not be as quick to reverse the need to rush.

Again... I don't want to accuse this as a set-up as theatrics to get more laws passed.  That would be insanely unsafe.  But, she did crack those doors too quickly knowing a car was coming OR the lane was clear.  We are not seeing the whole timeline here.  When the bus came to a compete stop, when the arm went out, etc... etc... Maybe she did wait a minute, it appears she didn't... Opened too quickly.

Again, nobody got hurt.  Move on.  Adjust for next time.

The difference between her opening the doors or waiting is where the drama and emotion is made.  She waits, let's the vehicle run, that's a less powerful video and doesn't convey any urgency to make new laws... Or with less urgency.

Cameras are only a snapshot in time. They don't tell whole story.

It is what it is.

6 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Driver of the car needs ‘a boot to the head’!  It’s a stopped school bus, ffs!

Just saying... We aren't getting whole time line.  How long was bus stopped, guard down, lights on? Vehicle is going quick.  What's speed limit, road type.  If she stopped, opened doors too quickly, did vehicle have time to react, slam on brakes in what appears to be a vehicle doing over 40mph. Lane was obviously clear, vehicle sped by.  So if she didn't see it approaching, clear lane should have made her less quick to open doors, but again, we aren't getting the whole timeline. Good thing she is equally quick grabbing kids as she is opening (and to her credit, closing) doors!

Just saying.  Somebody has to play Devil's advocate. ?

9 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s not like a wiretap! 

This is what is crazy to me especially since a driver is insane enough to pass on the right shoulder.  That is simply nuts.

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Your right, I too blame the driver. This is on her/him.

• Awesome! (+1) 1