Coaches, Trainers and GM’s should count against the cap.

There you go the most inspired in depth opinion of how the money should be split up in the NFL !! 

I bet the players will be all about giving up some of their cash to pay for the coaches & other staff I just wonder where this train of thought comes from ?? 

Never heard of it before ...

Edited by T master

3 hours ago, T master said:

There you go the most inspired in depth opinion of how the money should be split up in the NFL !! 

I bet the players will be all about giving up some of their cash to pay for the coaches & other staff I just wonder where this train of thought comes from ?? 

Never heard of it before ...

Try thinking about this from the players' perspective for a minute.  Right now, the unionized players collectively get a bargained-for percentage of the NFL revenues based on a collective bargaining agreement between their union and the league.  The assistant coaches aren't unionized, and don't collectively get a specified percentage of NFL revenues - - instead each assistant coach negotiates with team ownership to get the best salary he can out of the money each team has left over after the players get their bargained for cut. 

Why do you think the players unionized in the first place?  It was because they realized that collectively as a group they had more negotiating leverage than any single player individually.

Well don't you think that if they included all of the NFL's assistant coaches in the group of people who could threaten to go on strike if their salary demands weren't met, they would have even MORE leverage over the team's owners?

I don't recall the exact numbers, but hypothetically, let's assume that currently (1) the players get 50% of annual NFL revenues, and (2) although not currently guaranteed like the players' cut, the assistant coaches combined salaries, although individually negotiated by each coach, take another 5% of those same annual NFL revenues.  By banding together, the players and assistant coaches collectively would have even more leverage than the players alone do now.  So hypothetically, they could tell the owners during the next round of collective bargaining, pay us 58% of all NFL revenues next year (not 55%), or we ALL go on strike.  With more leverage, they can ask for a bigger piece of the revenue pie, just like the players union already can ask for a bigger piece of the revenue pie than individual players could.  Net result, by adding the assistant coaches to their side of the bargaining table, their side of the table gets 3% more $ than they did when acting separately.  The extra 3% could be split between the coaches and the players any way they negotiated for at the bargaining table with the owners.  So the players would probably get MORE money under Fergy's proposal, not less. 

The ability to have more employees (i.e., not just players, but assistant coaches, too) go on strike means more bargaining power, which directly translates to getting a bigger piece of the revenue pie.

It's really not that complicated, if you stop and actually think about it.   

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/10/2019 at 7:45 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Well, thus far no one has given me a logical reason why the cap shouldn’t apply to GM’s, coaches, admin and equipment guys. I, for one, would like to find the best nutritionist in the league but if he/she’s on another team, I want them to account for that salary. Same for the weightlifting trainer and the others who treat the players. Maybe, just maybe, if Hoodie has to skimp on a trainer due to the cap, they don’t have the benefit of that therapist’s expertise. You guys need to think ahead a little. 

So, you seem to contradict yourself; You 'want to find the best nutritionist in the league"...why wouldn't you be willing  to pay more for that person? its called 'free enterprise' and rewards the  person with talent and work ethic. Personally, I'm tired of all the whining about the Patriots. LEARN from  them

2 hours ago, Georgie said:

So, you seem to contradict yourself; You 'want to find the best nutritionist in the league"...why wouldn't you be willing  to pay more for that person? its called 'free enterprise' and rewards the  person with talent and work ethic. Personally, I'm tired of all the whining about the Patriots. LEARN from  them

My brother Darryl points out that despite the supposedly greater worth ethic and supposedly greater talent of the Pats*** players, those players, taken as a whole, get paid the same amount as the players on consistently seller-dwelling teams like the Browns and Cardinals.  Like every other team in the NFL, the Pats*** are an example of "unionized" enterprise, not "free" enterprise.  You get that, right?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Georgie said:

I am trying to level the playing field. Many here believe Bellicheat is the driving force behind the numerous Superbowls won by NE.   Bill B , Josh McDaniel, Matt Patricia and that old fella that sits in the back room like Robert the Bruce’s Dad....they get paid millions and millions. It’s time the NFL puts a stop to this kinda crap. Cap their salaries and facilities. It’s not fair.