Trade Lawson and a 2020 draft pick for Clowney?

29 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Legit talent at premier positions cost money.  There is all this talk about salary cap he’ll we had.  Well, that was because Dareus was an all pro DT.  The test for McBeane will be if these young player develop into elite players and demand big money.  

I agree.  The test will be how McBean deals with their young players if they develop.  Unfortunately. Dareus played like an all pro in his contract year and has been decidedy average or below since.  You need to avoid paying players like that, and focus on those that are truely special. Not easy, but but not a skill that Whaley exhibited.  

Clowney is a huge risk in terms of a big contract.  Very talented, but not consistently great.  This has always been the knock on him and he has done nothing to exhibit a change in that perception.  I think paying Clowney a huge contract would be a massive mistake and I do not expect the Bills to do it under the current regime.  A big name, and a flashy talent, who only occasionally performs to his potential.  Buyer beware.  That is why the Texans are taking the approach they are.  

1 hour ago, billspro said:

We would be missing out on a strong WR class next year if we did that. 9 sacks can be found a lot cheaper, I think Clowney has reached his full potential, I would not expect more than that.

I’m not sure I agree a young player has reached his potential playing in a system not best suited to his talents.

On 5/10/2019 at 9:14 AM, tomur67 said:

John Breech of CBS Sports suggests that it would be a logical trade between the Texans and the Bills.  The Bills would get Clowney,  but give up its first round pick in 2020 and Lawson. 

Nope too much 

So many people complain about the mediocre quality of free agents the Bills acquire, but when a better than average player becomes available ( especially playing a position of need) I can't believe why a lot of you are saying things like "he's really not good", "too much money", "wait, we'll get a better player next year" . What are you waiting for?  I believe every player you can get that is much better than what you have is worth it to make your team better.

13 minutes ago, tomur67 said:

So many people complain about the mediocre quality of free agents the Bills acquire, but when a better than average player becomes available ( especially playing a position of need) I can't believe why a lot of you are saying things like "he's really not good", "too much money", "wait, we'll get a better player next year" . What are you waiting for?  I believe every player you can get that is much better than what you have is worth it to make your team better.

Wait he is available to sign?  Great let’s give up that cap space. Ooooo wait NEVER-MIND he won’t just require cap space. 

So so he is available at what cost. 

Say Dawkins, 2020 1st and 2020 2nd. And a 22M a year contract. You would do that?

Edited by MAJBobby

Clowney for a 1st and Lawson really favors Buffalo more than Houston, Lawson has shown to be a good End, but not necessarily a good OLB.  We might have to sweeten this deal.  You may disagree, you’re entitled to that.

Clowney on the Left side opposite Oliver and Hughes...#1 defense here we come.

On 5/10/2019 at 7:05 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Is there even the slightest chance that the Texans and Bills are considering this , or is it just media speculation about it being a “logical” move?

Why would the Texans be looking at being without a key defensive piece in 2019 for a future draft pick when they made the playoffs last year and their Super Bowl window is well and truly open?

Would be a terrible move for them..

I think it's media speculation

Certainly the Beaner has shown that he loves him his next year's draft picks.  I don't see him giving a 1st for anyone another team would part with.

• Like (+1) 3

We obviously see this all of the time. The media will look at a teams needs on paper and automatically assume that the players will fit elsewhere. Before Oliver was drafted, a few writers even suggested Gerald McCoy to the Bills in a draft trade.

16 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

100% agree with this and imo clowney is fool's gold.

While Clowney may be "Fool's Gold and a borderline second tier DE, he would be an improvement. If the Texans lowered the asking price...then maybe.

On 5/10/2019 at 9:14 AM, tomur67 said:

John Breech of CBS Sports suggests that it would be a logical trade between the Texans and the Bills.  The Bills would get Clowney,  but give up its first round pick in 2020 and Lawson. 

Hell no ! 

I will give them Lawson and Alexander but now way im giving a first for an old hit n miss talent. Plus that contract, no thanks.

On 5/10/2019 at 9:31 AM, YoloinOhio said:

They don’t want to pay him. Happens all the time. They need to pay Watson and have giant contracts on Hopkins and Watt. 

id rather have Watt but his injuries are concerning, maybe a second.