Trade Lawson and a 2020 draft pick for Clowney?

8 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Good insight here.

To disrupt NFL quick release offenses today on the passing downs, need interior pressure ASAP.  A White Lightning rush package of Zo/Murphy, Clowney, Oliver and Hughes could do the trick.  

To pay him what he would want and trade a pick and player(s) I would hope he could be effective in his rush from the left side of D too.  

Factor in Edmunds there too.

I'd love to see someone else be able to take over that MLB position and allow Edmunds to play Lorax position.    

But even is he stays inside imagine being able to bring Oliver, Clowney and Edmunds up the middle.    Could blitz Edmunds and drop Clowney OR Oliver back into a zone.  Just a lot of pass rush potential there.    Clowney could be a real catalyst for the defense, IMO.

But all that said..........you still gotta' have the assets to make Josh Allen great.   

I don't think anyone would trade a first for Clowney and then pay him $21M per year.    A second and a fourth might do it.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Factor in Edmunds there too.

I'd love to see someone else be able to take over that MLB position and allow Edmunds to play Lorax position.    

But even is he stays inside imagine being able to bring Oliver, Clowney and Edmunds up the middle.    Could blitz Edmunds and drop Clowney OR Oliver back into a zone.  Just a lot of pass rush potential there.    Clowney could be a real catalyst for the defense, IMO.

But all that said..........you still gotta' have the assets to make Josh Allen great.   

I don't think anyone would trade a first for Clowney and then pay him $21M per year.    A second and a fourth might do it.

Beane didn't want to give up a 2020 4th, as part of a package to trade back into the 1st for Cody Ford.  Why would he want to trade a 2nd AND a 4th for an overhyped DE who wants to be paid based on that hype?

1 minute ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Beane didn't want to give up a 2020 4th, as part of a package to trade back into the 1st for Cody Ford.  Why would he want to trade a 2nd AND a 4th for an overhyped DE who wants to be paid based on that hype?

Because Clowney is an established, highly productive player at a position where the objective is to beat the man in front of you............and Ford plays a position where a stalemate is good.

I know you are just a troll-bot but yeah pass rusher over guard with RT flexibility every day.:lol:

I haven't read all 5 pages of this thread, so I don't know what's been said, but I don't think Clowney is a good fit for the Bills.  He's an extremely talented guy, but he will command top dollar and Beane is very judicious with managing the cap.  Clowney also has a history of playing below his potential, whether it is due to injury, disinterest, etc.  His 2nd to last year in college he was a beast, then dropped off his final year, but still went #1 overall due to his off-the-charts physical talents.  He's been inconsistent with the Texans.  When he's "on," he's among the best, but he's not always on.  Giving up a lot of assets and paying top dollar doesn't seem to make sense here.  He's not quite Marcel Dareus (and he's obviously in much better shape), but I could see some of that kind of unrealized potential happening with Clowney.

Zero chance I move the 1st rounder. As optimistic as I am with this roster currently I still don't trust them. Allen still has a ton to prove this season and other teams will have more tape on him. This will be a make or break season for him and I'd be damned if we finish bottom 5 without having a draft pick. 

Lawson + 2nd rounder is fair imo. If another team pays a 1st that's fine with me. I don't trust out offense enough this season to trade a potential top pick. 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Unless they are trading for a better replacement why would they trade Shaq?

Why did they trade Watkins and then trade most of the value they got back for him for KB after already playing half a season without a WR who could get open?

McBeane heart wants what it wants.

Fortunately,  to paraphrase Belichick..........you gotta' make bad decisions all the time to stay bad in the NFL.   You just gotta' make "enough" good ones to be competitive.

7 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I haven't read all 5 pages of this thread, so I don't know what's been said, but I don't think Clowney is a good fit for the Bills.  He's an extremely talented guy, but he will command top dollar and Beane is very judicious with managing the cap.  Clowney also has a history of playing below his potential, whether it is due to injury, disinterest, etc.  His 2nd to last year in college he was a beast, then dropped off his final year, but still went #1 overall due to his off-the-charts physical talents.  He's been inconsistent with the Texans.  When he's "on," he's among the best, but he's not always on.  Giving up a lot of assets and paying top dollar doesn't seem to make sense here.  He's not quite Marcel Dareus (and he's obviously in much better shape), but I could see some of that kind of unrealized potential happening with Clowney.

Mario seemed a good fit and commanded top $

Dareus seemed a good fit and commanded top $

Fitz seemed a good fit and commanded top $

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 hour ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

I don't understand this fanbase's obsession with wanting to trade away what could be high future picks for a guy who they remember from an epic highlight reel tackle in a bowl game from 6 years ago, but hasn't done squat in the NFL.

Off the top of my head, the recent trades which involved giving up a future 1st round pick were for:

Rob Johnson

Drew Bledsoe

JP Losman

Sammy Watkins

None of them were worth it. Even with Bledsoe's 1 or 2 decent years.

Especially considering that if we held onto those picks, we could have had:

Fred Taylor, Randy Moss, or Tra Thomas in 1998

Troy Polamalu in 2003

Aaron Rodgers in 2005

(2015 draft kinda sucked, so no one there)

3 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

I think it’s too risky to give up 1st round picks without knowing what we have in Josh Allen, and the entire offensive unit. 

If it was a sure thing that Allen and the O would take a big step forward this season, it might be worthwhile. But if things go the other way than this trade ends up being a big mistake.

would be hating life next year if we traded our first and Allen does not show progress

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Why did they trade Watkins and then trade most of the value they got back for him for KB after already playing half a season without a WR who could get open?

McBeane heart wants what it wants.

Fortunately,  to paraphrase Belichick..........you gotta' make bad decisions all the time to stay bad in the NFL.   You just gotta' make "enough" good ones to be competitive.

This is inaccurate.  They got a 2nd and Gaines for Sammy.  They used the 2nd to move up for Allen.  They spent a third on KB, which was obviously a disaster of a deal.  Funny how people often mention this deal but not, say, the Tyrod trade...

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

cbs writer says trade a first and a lawson, what a clown.

logical, ha!

I know, why would the Texans do that?  It’s just funny how big Of homers some fans are.  Lawson has very low trade value since we didn’t give him the 5th year.  The Texans have SB talent so why would they just give away a big part of their team?

But yeah, float the Texans a conditional 7th, Lawson, and our second string P and see what they say.  

23 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

This is inaccurate.  They got a 2nd and Gaines for Sammy.  They used the 2nd to move up for Allen.  They spent a third on KB, which was obviously a disaster of a deal.  Funny how people often mention this deal but not, say, the Tyrod trade...

It's accurate.

You don't like it.........but it's accurate.

They traded Watkins for a second and Gaines.......an oft injured player who didn't fit their new scheme that the Rams were done with and throwing in.    Very similar to Jordan Matthews..........who the Eagles found they couldn't GIVE away for any kind of draft compensation after months of trying.    

Then after wasting half of a season trying to not throw the ball because nobody was open.........they traded their 3rd and 7th round picks for KB, to be accurate:flirt:..........who was then almost useless for his entire tenure in Buffalo. 

So the net difference in the picks swapped for KB and Watkins was 29 spots between round 2 and round 3.

That's it.

Plus whatever a full season of Watkins was worth at that point.........which considering he was healthy and clicking with Tyrod was quite a bit, IMO.

Anything Gaines provided in his limited work in his season in Buffalo they more than lost on the performance end of the Watkins/Benjamin trade.

And as Beane himself lamented he couldn't even maximize the value of his traded picks when moving up the board because teams knew he had better picks in hand than what he wanted to offer.

Tampa would have been fine with the Tyrod pick or the pick they traded for Benjamin......the Cardinals weren't offering dick to move up........but since Beane had the Watkins pick......which was 9 picks sooner than the Tyrod.......they demanded that. 

But even though you weren't accurate kudos for not being in the 95 percentile of apologists who think the Mahomes/Chiefs pick was used to acquire Allen.

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Absolute highest I’d go is 2nd and Lawson for Clowney. He’s good, but he’s no surefire 16-game starting superstar. Regardless of what we think of the prospects for the draft that’s 11 months away, a 1st is too high imho for a player with some question marks.

I would never do that if I’m the Texans.  I do think JC is overrated but he’s worth a 1st.  Lawson would be whatever to me.