Trade Lawson and a 2020 draft pick for Clowney?

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We simply CANT give up a 1st going into a legendary WR class next year. Plus, I hate trading 1sts for a player you also have to immediately sign to a huge deal.

I'd consider doing it for Shaq and a 2nd.

I don't understand this fanbase's obsession with wanting to trade away what could be high future picks for a guy who they remember from an epic highlight reel tackle in a bowl game from 6 years ago, but hasn't done squat in the NFL.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills have strategically put themselves in the position to pay these types of players if they want to. They have one big time contract on the books - Morse. They have only one coming up - Tre White. QB on year 2 of rookie contract. This is when you make these deals. They could have no vet Pass rushers under contract next year. Clowney is in his prime.Contending teams have several blue chip players who are vets and they are $$. 

Kind of where I’m at. The $ is totally irrelevant at this point. The Bills could sign Clowney and AJ Green (or something like that) and wouldn’t even know the difference. The salary cap is a non-issue and borderline non-consideration for the Bills at this point. Try to front load whatever money in case Josh turns into the player that we all hope. That’s still a few years away though. This is the time.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

Hard to see Beane parting ways with a 1st, in any year - he didn't do it for Josh Allen or Tremaine Edmunds, hard to see him doing it for Clowney that will also need a big contract. However a 3rd and Lawson would make sense. Yes, Houston wants more....but there has to be a market price and right now, except for maybe one or two teams, I don't think the market price bears out a 1st. A 2nd maybe...but 3rd and Lawson seems more reasonable IMO. And I'm not just saying this as a Bills fan. It could be the terrible NJ team that wears puke green and white, a 1st still seems high but....I guess we'll all wait to see if Houston makes the move or decides to keep him and let him play for his long-term value. 

2 hours ago, tomur67 said:

John Breech of CBS Sports suggests that it would be a logical trade between the Texans and the Bills.  The Bills would get Clowney,  but give up its first round pick in 2020 and Lawson. 

I dont want to give up a top 20 pick but the trade makes sense for a low first rounder. I would be ecstatic with a second rounder + Lawson for Clowney. 

The compensation to the Texans is only half the issue. What to pay Clowney is another issue. The sticking point of the contract impasse with the Texans is what Clowney thinks he is worth. I DO NOT want to give him Khalil Mack money. So long as he agrees to 50-55 mill guaranteed, I'd be all for it. But maybe the Texans are already offering him that much. Any writeups on how far apart Clowney and the Texans are? Then we can see if there is a sweet middle ground where we can pay more than Texans and still make it work.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We have the money to extend Hughes and give Clowney a new deal.  Our defense is set for the next few years at an elite status with this move.  

What people may or may not be factoring in when it comes to a 1st Round Pick, is that with Clowney, we should expect to be a playoff team.  That means we're drafting in the 20's.  This most likely wouldn't be another #9 pick.

I'd still be 50/50 on it, but would be ok with giving up Lawson and a 1st if that's what it came to.

We'd still have money next year to resign our guys and then have an entire draft, 2nd Round on, to focus on the offense and depth.  

Defense would be stacked this year and next.

Ideally OL is set for this year, and next, with Nsekhe, Ford, Morse, Dawkins and then we hope that some of Spain, Long, Feliciano etc warrant new contracts after 2019.  We're all cautiously optimistic that we have our QB in Allen, and we can focus on RB/WR next offseason/draft.

It’s not just trading a top 20 pick.  It’s losing out on a 1st rd talent under our control for 5+ years at a cheap salary WHILE also paying a pass rusher that doesn’t get many sacks or forced fumbles 20-+ mill a year.  20 mill a year is a huge asset.  As is the 1st rd pick.  Meanwhile clowney isn’t even as good as our own Jerry Hughes imo.  Sure, he looks the part.  We’d be hoping that he learns how to play the part.  Too much risk considering where our team is.  I would’ve rather paid the price for Frank Clark.  At least he produces 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Hard to see Beane parting ways with a 1st, in any year - he didn't do it for Josh Allen or Tremaine Edmunds, hard to see him doing it for Clowney that will also need a big contract. However a 3rd and Lawson would make sense. Yes, Houston wants more....but there has to be a market price and right now, except for maybe one or two teams, I don't think the market price bears out a 1st. A 2nd maybe...but 3rd and Lawson seems more reasonable IMO. And I'm not just saying this as a Bills fan. It could be the terrible NJ team that wears puke green and white, a 1st still seems high but....I guess we'll all wait to see if Houston makes the move or decides to keep him and let him play for his long-term value. 

In a video showing a behind the scenes look in the draft war room, it showed that they would have had to give up a 2020 4th, as part of a package to move back into the 1st for Cody Ford and Beane wouldn't do it.  That just shows you how he values future picks, which means that it's highly unlikely that he makes a trade for Clowney.

Edited by Cornette's Commentary
  • Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-2019-here-are-seven-trades-that-make-sense-now-that-the-draft-is-over-including-a-patriots-blockbuster/

I would rather do the Darron Lee or Solomon Thomas trades than the Clowney trade. And even pay a bit more than what the Bengals and Bucs have been projected to pay.  Each is worth at least a 4th rounder.

15 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-2019-here-are-seven-trades-that-make-sense-now-that-the-draft-is-over-including-a-patriots-blockbuster/

I would rather do the Darron Lee or Solomon Thomas trades than the Clowney trade. And even pay a bit more than what the Bengals and Bucs have been projected to pay.  Each is worth at least a 4th rounder.

No to Lee - has not performed to the level required.  If not a bust, he is on the train to being a bust.  He was a bad draft pick by a bad GM.

Thomas - also has under performed but maybe able to do better in the right scheme.

19 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

No way. Not even worth a pick to me, really. Kid has serious issues. Just leave that one alone. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Normally I'd be fine with giving up the first in this situation.

But it's gotta' be a 2nd and something else at this point.   Maybe a 4th.   Shaq has like 5th or 6th round value at best due to his combination of "meh" football and pending free agency.   From the Texans perspective he'd just a roster sub like Jordan Matthews in the Darby trade but that COULD help facilitate a trade.

It's a critical year for McBeane regime...........if they go 7-9 or 8-8 "the process" is going to look like a sham.

But job #1 is making Josh Allen great...........and since they swung-small/bunted in rounds 2 and 3 on draft day this year they will have a near certain need at WR1 and next years draft is going to be loaded with WR1 types. 

Should be like the 1996 or 2014 WR classes.......utterly loaded with difference makers..........and since 2014 most of the WR classes have been BAD so they gotta' try to hang onto that #1.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

OK I will bite.  Trade based on reaching agreement on contract with Clowney prior to trade.

My best offer is a 2020 3rd rounder, Shaq Lawson and Teller or Bodine.  Houston needs OL help on interior.   

Edited by freddyjj

2 hours ago, BubbaT said:

Clowney is a good but not great pass rusher. He's  better than Lawson in that regard but has the benefit of playing opposite JJ Watt who draws a lot of attention. Under no circumstances would I give up a  pick in the first 2 days for him. His salary will be high and might limit you in the future as well. I'd pass on him. DE might be priority #1 next year in the draft.

Clowney may be the quickest/fastest straight line DL to ever play in the NFL.

That signature play against Michigan in college has translated to the pro's.........he can blow up plays from the inside like nobody else.

His edge rush is a work in progress.    Needs to get better with his hands to get more efficient to the QB so he can turn pressures into sacks.

But that technique is often something that rushers get much better at over time.

It's risky to project a player to get better in the second half of his career........injuries happen..........but he really has a good deal of untapped potential yet, IMO.

And while he is not a great pass rusher yet he is a great disruptor and very versatile.

I could see him kicking inside with Lorax playing end in obvious pass downs.    He really could help McD take his defense to another level of complexity as well. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Clowney may be the quickest/fastest straight line DL to ever play in the NFL.

That signature play against Michigan in college has translated to the pro's.........he can blow up plays from the inside like nobody else.

His edge rush is a work in progress.    Needs to get better with his hands to get more efficient to the QB so he can turn pressures into sacks.

But that technique is often something that rushers get much better at over time.

It's risky to project a player to get better in the second half of his career........injuries happen..........but he really has a good deal of untapped potential yet, IMO.

And while he is not a great pass rusher yet he is a great disruptor and very versatile.

I could see him kicking inside on with Lorax playing end in obvious pass downs.    He really could help McD take his defense to another level of complexity as well. 

Good insight here.

To disrupt NFL quick release offenses today on the passing downs, need interior pressure ASAP.  A White Lightning rush package of Zo/Murphy, Clowney, Oliver and Hughes could do the trick.  

To pay him what he would want and trade a pick and player(s) I would hope he could be effective in his rush from the left side of D too.  

No way in hell you give up a first and a decent player to get a guy with an injury history and pay him 20 million a year. That’s a terrible idea. A second I would consider though. You never know if Allen gets hurt and we end up with the first pick this trade would look like the worst trade in history. You should never give away future first for non qbs or don’t have an established franchise qb in place, sorry but Allen ain’t there yet. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/quick-hits-3-updates-from-sean-mcdermott-s-rookie-minicamp-press-conference

1. Shaq and I are on the same page

Bills head coach Sean McDermott addressed the team’s decision not to pick up the fifth-year option on former first-round pick Shaq Lawson.

McDermott made it clear that the club and Lawson are comfortable with where things stand right now.

“The critical piece to that is we’ve had communications with Shaq and we are on the same page with where we are and how we view Shaq,” he said. “This doesn’t necessarily mean that after this year that we’re going to go our separate ways. We like where he is and the work he’s put in of late. I think the critical piece is we’re on the same page with where we are and where he is.”

• Like (+1) 1