Trade Lawson and a 2020 draft pick for Clowney?

6 minutes ago, chris heff said:

This is a legitimate question, is Clowney the type of player the Bills want? Isn’t the knock on him that he takes plays off? I know there was a lot of hype when he was drafted. Has he lived up to it? I know there were injuries early on and I know he has been better the last two years.

Sounds like someone we know:

WIL431243.png

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Then keep Clowney and lose him to free agency. Too much really good wr talent at the top of the draft next year. Our window really starts next year. We're not the team with urgency, so we don't have to pay a premium. If the Texans want a second, okay, but the first is off the table.

I just feel like a 26 year old Clowney has immense upside in this defense.  He's exactly what McD likes at end, and I think he has been misused in Houston.

I hate looking at next years draft class this far out.  Things always change. 

no way for a first. completely off the board for a first. A  third is where id be ok with. The guys has an extensive injury history and hasn't been all that productive. Id hate to give this guy 20 million also. Not against a trade for him but a first and 20 million really scare me. If this guy was a 20 million dollar player they would just cut JJ and sign Clowney. makes you wonder why they wont. I know they have to pay Watson and JJ but lets face it JJ was a great player. Hes always injured now

Edited by Wsam4031

7 minutes ago, chris heff said:

This is a legitimate question, is Clowney the type of player the Bills want? Isn’t the knock on him that he takes plays off? I know there was a lot of hype when he was drafted. Has he lived up to it? I know there were injuries early on and I know he has been better the last two years.

I’d say so 

3x Pro Bowl 2016-18

1st team all-pro 2016

2nd team all-pro 2017

def player of the week 2018 vs Colts - remember what the Bills “defense” looked like vs the Colts last year? Have you blocked it out? I have. Anyway- 

The NFL named Houston Texans DE/OLB Jadeveon Clowney the AFC Defensive Player of the Week following his performance in the team’s 37-34 overtime victory over the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday.

Clowney recorded four total tackles (four solo), 2.0 sacks, four quarterback hits, four tackle for loss and one fumble recovery for a touchdown. He sacked Colts QB Andrew Luck for a loss of nine yards in the second quarter and brought Luck down for a loss of 10 yards on a critical play late in overtime.

Clowney is the only player to record at least 2.0 sacks, four tackles for loss and one fumble recovery returned for a touchdown in a single game since tackles for loss became an official NFL statistic. Not only that, Clowney has accomplished the feat twice in his NFL career (Week 3 of the 2017 season). He recovered a fumble by Colts C Ryan Kelly in the endzone for his second career touchdown and became the first player in franchise history to record multiple career games with at least 1.0 sack and a fumble recovery returned for a touchdown.

Clowney tied his single-game career high in sacks, quarterback hits, tackles for loss and fumble recoveries in the game. He has registered four-or-more tackles for loss in a game in each of the last three seasons (Week 5 in 2016, Week 3 in 2017 and Week 4 in 2018). No other player in the NFL has more than one game with four-or-more tackles for loss since 2016. He also has 42 tackles for loss in that time span (33 games), which is the second-most in the NFL.

22 minutes ago, BubbaT said:

Clowney is a good but not great pass rusher. He's  better than Lawson in that regard but has the benefit of playing opposite JJ Watt who draws a lot of attention. Under no circumstances would I give up a  pick in the first 2 days for him. His salary will be high and might limit you in the future as well. I'd pass on him. DE might be priority #1 next year in the draft.

...a voice of reason......extend Hughes for 2 years and look to 2020 draft...........

3 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Sounds like someone we know:

WIL431243.png

I hear you, if Clowney could bring what Mario brought in his first three years with Bills then I’d be okay with a trade. But I think Lawson and a first is more than they need to pay. 

Just now, SWATeam said:

I just feel like a 26 year old Clowney has immense upside in this defense.  He's exactly what McD likes at end, and I think he has been misused in Houston.

I agree that Clowney could thrive in our D. I don't think Houston can sign him long-term. We could make a play for him in free agency. You don't trade for him in any event without an extension worked out. Regardless, there is superior wr talent I doubt Beane is willing to pass on in 2020 draft. I'd offer a second plus and see if Texans bite.

1 minute ago, chris heff said:

I hear you, if Clowney could bring what Mario brought in his first three years with Bills then I’d be okay with a trade. But I think Lawson and a first is more than they need to pay. 

I would take Mario in his prime right now for sure. People have short memories. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Yep, trade out of the first round in the year with all the great wide receivers for a generally overhyped DE... makes sense.

Do you think it will be better than the amazing 2014 WR class?

3 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Yep, trade out of the first round in the year with all the great wide receivers for a generally overhyped DE... makes sense.

Where do you think we're drafting this year, with Clowney?  Because I think it would be in the 20's.  Even without him, I think we have a solid chance at a WC.   At the very least, it would be a VERY disappointing season to be drafting top 10 again. 

If there are stud WR's next year, they won't be around in the late-teens/20's.

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

My point is, though, that it will probably be for a 1st rounder.  Not less.

Who's preformed better over the past 3 to 4 year OBJ or Clowney?  In spite of all the off field antics OBJ and he was only worth a first.  Antonio Brown got a 3rd.  It has to be a real top super star to give u pa first, Clowney is not that.  I'd be shocked if a team gave a up a 1st for him, and just hope it's not the Bills.   3rd, go for it, 2nd maybe, I'd try and also get a 4th or 5th back then too.

PS If you gave me a choice I'd rather give up a 1st for AJ Green than Clowney. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would take Mario in his prime right now for sure. People have short memories. 

Me too, as to Clowney, if Texas can’t pay him and they are at the very least entertaining a trade, does it need to be a first and Lawson?

2 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Me too, as to Clowney, if Texas can’t pay him and they are at the very least entertaining a trade, does it need to be a first and Lawson?

Don’t think they need a 1st and a player. OBJ took a 1st, a 3rd, and a player. But in this case I think a 2nd and Lawson is about right. If it has to be a first, then no player, but no use for Lawson if we have Clowney imo unless There is an injury 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

There’s a lot of truth to this. 

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Love how the thread title omits 1st round pick. Lawson and a 2nd I'd consider, but Clowney is still going to want more than he's worth....

You'd certainly be paying him based off what he could be and not so much as for what he's done. He can be a double digit sack guy and to me a trade would be contingent on a contract that's fair both ways and with certain incentives that would compensate Clowney on a level that is fair to his own self perceived value while also protecting Terry's pocketbook. 

Edited by NewDayBills