Trade Lawson and a 2020 draft pick for Clowney?

I think it’s too risky to give up 1st round picks without knowing what we have in Josh Allen, and the entire offensive unit. 

If it was a sure thing that Allen and the O would take a big step forward this season, it might be worthwhile. But if things go the other way than this trade ends up being a big mistake.

• Like (+1) 1

Its a tough one. The Bills are at least IMO a 8-9 win team which puts them in the late teens and upper 20's draft wise.

So the real question I guess should be would you give up the 18th-20th pick next year and Lawson this year for Clowney this year.?

Clowneys not my first choice but we need a pass rusher and I have to admit that him and Hughes on the edges with Star and Oliver in the middle is very appealing.

• Like (+1) 1

Clowney would have to agree to an extension before I made the deal. And I’d have no problem trading next year’s first. Would people really pass up Jadeveon Clowney if he was sitting there when it’s our turn to pick? Really? 

9 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

I think it’s too risky to give up 1st round picks without knowing what we have in Josh Allen, and the entire offensive unit. 

If it was a sure thing that Allen and the O would take a big step forward this season, it might be worthwhile. But if things go the other way than this trade ends up being a big mistake.

sorry, but no way this offense does not take a step forward, they will certainly take a step forward. that said, I still would not give up a first.

4 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

sorry, but no way this offense does not take a step forward, they will certainly take a step forward. that said, I still would not give up a first.

I think there is a chance Allen plays at the same level or regresses, which would really limit the offensive unit and most likely lead to marginally improved performance despite the additions.

Obviously, hoping that isn’t the case but it needs to be considered when analyzing the risk of making bold moves like trading next year’s high picks.

4 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I would do it for a 2nd+Shaq, but the money scares me

The Bills have strategically put themselves in the position to pay these types of players if they want to. They have one big time contract on the books - Morse. They have only one coming up - Tre White. QB on year 2 of rookie contract. This is when you make these deals. They could have no vet Pass rushers under contract next year. Clowney is in his prime.Contending teams have several blue chip players who are vets and they are $$. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Buddy Hix said:

I think there is a chance Allen plays at the same level or regresses, which would really limit the offensive unit and most likely lead to marginally improved performance despite the additions.

Obviously, hoping that isn’t the case but it needs to be considered when analyzing the risk of making bold moves like trading next year’s high picks.

Fair point but I see no scenario where we would be using our 1st next year on a QB.  Even if Allen is not the guy, we probably won't no for at least another year.

7 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

totally disagree but you're entitled to your own opinion.

enjoy the season.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

32 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

My point is, though, that it will probably be for a 1st rounder.  Not less.

Be tough to get a first rounder for him. Last year of contract. He’s basically a rental player who will want mega bucks.

No thanks. I kind of like keeping out firsts.

Why would they want Lawson?

6 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

or improves

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills have strategically put themselves in the position to pay these types of players if they want to. They have one big time contract on the books - Morse. They have only one coming up - Tre White. QB on year 2 of rookie contract. This is when you make these deals. They could have no vet Pass rushers under contract next year. Clowney is in his prime.Contending teams have several blue chip players who are vets and they are $$. 

I get it, the time to pay a guy like this is now with Allen's contract. But it would be probably pretty close to Frank Clark's 5 yr(s) / $104M / 62M guaranteed deal

35 minutes ago, billsfanmd07 said:

If they are trying to trade him it just seems like a big red flag

yea, this was my first thought..

But i will say , probably for the first time as a die hard fan of this team , i completely trust and will be optimistic towards any moves made by this front office.