Who makes the Practice Squad

I have seen posts on who makes the final 53, but am wondering who are those players who are showing the potential to help us in the future, those who are close but in a log jam with others, and who can we bring up to fill in when there are injuries.

So, who is on our practice squad?

The parameters, according to the Sporting News:

NFL practice squad rules

For 320 players, getting let go on roster cutdown day is not the end of the road in the NFL, as each team is granted 10 practice squad players in addition to its 53-man roster.

An NFL practice squad typically is made up of rookies and undrafted free agents who the team recently cut. Each team can carry up to four veterans - who can have no more than two accrued NFL seasons (six games on the 53-man roster qualifies as an accrued season) - on its practice squad, and a player can't be on a given practice squad for more than three seasons. Practice squad players are not eligible to play in games. Teams can sign players from other teams' practice squads as long as the players are added to the new teams' 53-man rosters (active/inactive).

My potential practice squad:

QB-Tyree Jackson- I think the Bills will only keep two active on the 53 man roster

LB-Tyrel Dodson- may need a year practicing with an NFL team to crack through

RB-Keith Ford- not a bad running back but loses out to all the new RB’s that came in off season      

TE-Tommy Sweeney- may make it next year

S-Jaquan Johnson- starts here, on roster by mid-season

OG-Ike Boettger- may continue developing here

DE- Darryl Johnson Jr.- some potential for later on

WR-David Sills V, Nick Easley, Cam Phillips- not able to make it just yet

RB-Christian Wade (International/Exempt)- doesn’t cost the Bills much

Edited by joevan

5 minutes ago, joevan said:

I have seen posts on who makes the final 53, but am wondering who are those players who are showing the potential to help us in the future, those who are close but in a log jam with others, and who can we bring up to fill in when there are injuries.

NFL practice squad rules

For 320 players, getting let go on roster cutdown day is not the end of the road in the NFL, as each team is granted 10 practice squad players in addition to its 53-man roster.

An NFL practice squad typically is made up of rookies and undrafted free agents who the team recently cut. Each team can carry up to four veterans - who can have no more than two accrued NFL seasons (six games on the 53-man roster qualifies as an accrued season) - on its practice squad, and a player can't be on a given practice squad for more than three seasons. Practice squad players are not eligible to play in games. Teams can sign players from other teams' practice squads as long as the players are added to the new teams' 53-man rosters (active/inactive).

QB-Tyree Jackson- I think the Bills will only keep two active on the 53 man roster

RB-Keith Ford- not a bad running back but loses out to all the new RB’s that came in off season      

May bold take is Sweeney make it, Knox is PS.

Good call on the others. 

Is Dhaquile eligible? 

• Haha (+1) 7

9 minutes ago, joevan said:

NFL practice squad rules

If we carry 4 RB’s and no FB on 53 man roster then I don’t see us having a RB on the practice squad- Ford isn’t good enough to warrant a spot with the depth we have.

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

May bold take is Sweeney make it, Knox is PS.

Good call on the others. 

Is Dhaquile eligible? 

Knox will never make it to the PS. He will be on an active roster this year. With those physical skills someone will pluck him before we can get him to the PS. 

• Like (+1) 8

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Knox will never make it to the PS. He will be on an active roster this year. With those physical skills someone will pluck him before we can get him to the PS. 

No point putting Knox on PS. Another team would take him instantly for their 53

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Could be. My very superficial take is he seems like a tweener that won’t quite fit at TE or WR.  Let’s see

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Could be. My very superficial take is he seems like a tweener that won’t quite fit at TE or WR.  Let’s see

Whether he can play or not is another question but with those physical skills he will be on an active roster. The Bills traded up into round 3 to make sure that they secured him. He’s an absolute lock IMO but if, for some reason, they were to try to get him to the PS it wouldn’t happen. There are 31 other teams that would have to pass on him before we could get him to the PS. That just won’t happen for the 96th overall pick. 

8 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

No point putting Knox on PS. Another team would take him instantly for their 53

That’s what I said

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

One of Knox's strengths is his blocking. He's a complete TE,  definitely not a tweener, just needs to better develop his route running due to the limitations of his route tree at Ole Miss.

I think Sills and Easley make the final roster. They are refined receivers who are very good at their craft and they catch the ball.  They also have talent. I think Easley would be a backup slot and Sills is a guy who can play the slot or the outside. Easley has some elite quickness number and produced in a pro style offense. He's potentially a bigger Beasley. Easley just needs to beat out McKenzie and Ray Ray, and I think he has a great chance to do so. Sills is in for a fight but he's a guy who finds the endzone and makes contested catches. He and Duke Williams bring that element to the roster, an element that was missing last year. I don't think Ike Boettger or Wyatt Teller would make it through to the practice squad. Ike was claimed last year, and now he has a year under his belt and some game experience. I don't think Boettger makes teh roster, but he will be claimed. I also think Sweeney makes the roster over guys like Croom and Fisher because he projects to be a complete tight end. Though I am intrigued with the Fisher conversion. Jaquan Johnson will make the roster as well imo. 

So right now I'd say Daryll Johnson and Tyree Jackson are the most likely PS guys. yrel Dodson is pretty interesting as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Agree - seems like common sense.  Oops, wrong thread.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

could be right, but no one would know that for a couple years, so certain another team would grab him as soon as he were cut.  Likely anyone drafted higher than 6th round would have trouble making it onto the practice squad without being grabbed by another team.

I think now that Anderson retired, Buffalo for similar reasons may not want to expose him to be picked up by another team so he makes the 53, unless looks very shaky in camp and pre-season.  If Anderson were still here, then would agree with Jackson to PS and take your chances.  If he gets picked up, oh well, but now may be more concern.

Just remember; a player is cut and becomes a free agent before he can be signed to the PS; you dont just  automatically move  them over there. Makes for interesting decisions if you dont want to run the risk of losing a player you like. PS changes often,  depending on the condition and ability  of your active roster.

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

3rd round picks don't go to the PS

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, nucci said:

3rd round picks don't go to the PS

Exactly, if they cut a 3rd round pick before the season starts, heads would absolutely roll and multiple people would probably lose their jobs. It was major news when the Raiders cut Tyler Wilson before his first season and he was a 4th. We don't want to be in their company.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, joevan said:

NFL practice squad rules

Talk about jumping the gun.Let's wait for SJF....and for anybody to just simply think that Barkley is auto gifted the 2nd spot at QB,clearly didn't watch much of Tyree at UB.

this thread is meant for the second week of August..not mid May.