Derek Anderson retired

4 minutes ago, krf139 said:

Of course he's going to say the politically correct thing.  Personally, I wouldn't accept a job and then back out of the job.  I think it speaks to poor character and find it to be a BS move regardless of how it's spun.

Whether you play football or not the decision to retire is not an easy one.  Trust me on that.

McDermott and Anderson go back a long way and OBD talked Derek out of retirement once.

It's all good. 

Truthfully if they don't like TJ and end up with a "Cody Kessler" that would be fine with me too.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Whether you play football or not the decision to retire is not an easy one.  Trust me on that.

McDermott and Anderson go back a long way and OBD talked Derek out of retirement once.

It's all good. 

Truthfully if they don't like TJ and end up with a "Cody Kessler" that would be fine with me too.

One USC quarterback is more than enough, I think.

7 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I am of the opinion that Derek Anderson had absolutely nothing to do with Allen's progress last year.   

Agreed.  There's absolutely no proof that Anderson did more than offer some advice to Allen. More than likely  what led to Allen's improvement was his forced seat on the bench because of injury.  The crew on GMFB discussed how sitting and observing for several games after having started a few games significantly helped Sam Darnold with his understanding of what was happening on the field.  That both rookies looked a lot better -- seemed to actually have a better idea of what they should do  -- after they came back from warming the bench and just watching for a while suggests that was the real reason for improvement.

When you think about it, that's probably why most young QBs  tend to improve at least marginally as second year starters: they've had a baptism of fire as it were, and then have an off-season to think about what they did/try to improve their skills/better understand what they're watching on film, and then they go back out to try again -- and most of them have figured out enough to play better while the good ones play a whole lot better.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the team should still bring into camp a vet QB. The only two out on the market are Josh McCown and Matt Cassell. I wouldn't mind the team brining in either if they wanted an easy check as a mentor QB3. Barkley is a solid backup but not exactly a seasoned vet. I liked Anderson as a nice mentor that Josh could learn from and rely on without Anderson having much of a chance to play given Barkley is the backup. 

I think Jackson could benefit from competing against an established vet too. Not sure if either McCown or Cassell are interested in such a role but if either were I think it would add value for Josh to have an active player with a lot of experience. 

17 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think the team should still bring into camp a vet QB. The only two out on the market are Josh McCown and Matt Cassell. I wouldn't mind the team brining in either if they wanted an easy check as a mentor QB3. Barkley is a solid backup but not exactly a seasoned vet. I liked Anderson as a nice mentor that Josh could learn from and rely on without Anderson having much of a chance to play given Barkley is the backup. 

I think Jackson could benefit from competing against an established vet too. Not sure if either McCown or Cassell are interested in such a role but if either were I think it would add value for Josh to have an active player with a lot of experience. 

Nah.  Time for Josh to start defining his own style and spending time with his QB Coach.    These "Yoda"-geezers don't bring as much as people imagine 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nah.  Time for Josh to start defining his own style and spending time with his QB Coach.    These "Yoda"-geezers don't bring as much as people imagine 

Agreed.  Barkley has started more games in his five years in the league than Anderson has started in his last five years, so relevant experience is about the same.  More importantly, Anderson never exhibited a brilliant grasp of the game when he was playing. Those guys who get by on their brains because they lack enough physical talent are guys like Keenum or Cousins or Taylor.  

The Bills have Barkley to give Allen and Jackson a "veteran's perspective".  They both need to work with Dorsey to fix their mechanical flaws (if they can) and become better NFL passers.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I think there is value to having a QB with a healthy amount of starts under his belt. Josh has more starts in his NFL Career than Barkley. Coaches can provide most guidance but there is something to be said about having an active player in the locker room who has a lot of experience. Matt Cassell has 81 starts under his belt and played in a lot of systems under some well respected coaches. Josh McCown has 76 career starts and been in all sorts of systems. 

I wouldn't sign a Cassell or McCown to usurp Barkley and I wouldn't guarantee either a roster spot over Jackson. But if they can get either to take the vet minimum to compete for a third string QB spot I don't see why the team shouldn't do that. Even if they cut them before the season starts because Jackson looks good there is still some value to having all 3 players who have a total of 17 NFL starts around a seasoned pro. 

7 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think there is value to having a QB with a healthy amount of starts under his belt. Josh has more starts in his NFL Career than Barkley. Coaches can provide most guidance but there is something to be said about having an active player in the locker room who has a lot of experience. Matt Cassell has 81 starts under his belt and played in a lot of systems under some well respected coaches. Josh McCown has 76 career starts and been in all sorts of systems. 

I wouldn't sign a Cassell or McCown to usurp Barkley and I wouldn't guarantee either a roster spot over Jackson. But if they can get either to take the vet minimum to compete for a third string QB spot I don't see why the team shouldn't do that. Even if they cut them before the season starts because Jackson looks good there is still some value to having all 3 players who have a total of 17 NFL starts around a seasoned pro. 

Most teams don't even carry 3 QB's as roster spots are so valuable. Like all major league's, NFL teams have evolved and maximized every competitive advantage.

I would rather cut Barkley and sign a McCown/ Cassell type if you think either can actually play and believe in the whole mentor thing. It's not like Barkley is ever going to be the answer at QB. 

We've got a HC, an OC, and a QB coach. Allen also has Jordan Palmer in the offseason. Enough cooks already IMO. 

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Most teams don't even carry 3 QB's as roster spots are so valuable. Like all major league's, NFL teams have evolved and maximized every competitive advantage.

I would rather cut Barkley and sign a McCown/ Cassell type if you think either can actually play and believe in the whole mentor thing. It's not like Barkley is ever going to be the answer at QB. 

We've got a HC, an OC, and a QB coach. Allen also has Jordan Palmer in the offseason. Enough cooks already IMO. 

McCown would be a way better option than Barkley. That would be getting an Anderson and Barkley in one who was a much better player if Josh went down. Cassel was shot two years ago. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

They don't bring anything!  That's all just garbage discussed by sports fans as though it's a real thing. 

It isn't.

30 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Then what would you be signing them for?

There will be 3 QBs on the roster.  

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

McCown would be a way better option than Barkley. That would be getting an Anderson and Barkley in one who was a much better player if Josh went down. Cassel was shot two years ago. 

For sure. I actually wouldn't mind McCown because I believe he's a better PLAYER than Barkley. I've seen Barkley's lack of arm strength lead to enough picks to know he's not any kind of long term answer. I'm fine with him as a backup and that's probably the route they'll take. Just don't see the need for Barkley and ANOTHER vet. If we're gonna carry 3, I'd prefer to see Allen, one vet backup, and a developmental type; maybe Jackson or the kid from Northwestern Illinois State Tech. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I think a fourth QB/camp arm is almost a given, considering Tyree's inexperience. If they're smart (not a given, considering their management of the QB position, last season) the camp arm will be a seasoned vet. And, I believe that Barkley is on the roster as a competent backup-- a role he proved himself in last season.

But, whether the seasoned vet, or Tyree Jackson makes the roster will depend upon McBeane's (trolling Kirby Jackson!) perception of a vet presence's value weighed against Allen's development vs. the value of a third string prospect with possible future upside. I suspect they will place more value on the latter. (Assuming they even carry a third QB.)

Edited by Rocky Landing

Just now, Rocky Landing said:

I think a fourth QB/camp arm is almost a given, considering Tyree's inexperience. If they're smart (not a given, considering their management of the QB position, last season) the camp arm will be a seasoned vet. And, I believe that Barkley in on the roster as a competent backup-- a role he proved himself in last season.

But, whether the seasoned vet, or Tyree Jackson makes the roster will depend upon McBeane's (trolling Kirby Jackson!) perception of a vet presence's value weighed against Allen's development vs. the value of a third string prospect with possible future upside. I suspect they will place more value on the latter. (Assuming they even carry a third QB.)

1DE295F4-B181-4770-969A-5671129859D5.jpeg

I figured Anderson would retire, but thought it would come at the end of camp.  Odd timing.

And I see them going into the season with just 2 QBs again.  That is, unless Jackson impresses and they can't risk trying to sneak him onto the PS.