Derek Anderson retired

11 hours ago, McBean said:

I still crack up how Anderson signed here last year to hold a clipboard, but then got thrown to the wolves because of Peterpick.

Yeah, it was terrible to watch. It was like watching a pack of hungry wolves tear apart a kitten. Utter blood bath.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Awful players can have good games. He also threw several floaters that could have been picked off in that game. There is no doubt he had a successful game, and results are results. But he’s been historically awful mostly because of his rag arm. He has an abysmal record. If he plays four games I think we win one of them. I have watched him a lot. He’s slightly better than Peterman and has the same skill set. 

Peterman has a skill set?

4 hours ago, The Senator said:

And then 2016 happens, Tyrod Taylor gets hurt, E.J. Manuel gets benched, and we need rookie Cardale Jones to come in and finish the game.

Or last year, when we opted to trade A.J. McCarron and go with just Peterman and Allen. Then Peterman sucked in game one, Allen became the starter, and we had to scramble to find a third QB - Derek Anderson - to back up Allen.  Then Allen got hurt, Peterman still sucked, and we had to sign Barkley.

It makes sense to carry 3 QBs.  It’s the smart thing to do.  It’s what the Bills will do.  Allen, Barkley, Jackson - there’s your depth chart.

Barkley is far better than the back ups you mentioned. Jackson is a PS level QB.  If Allen is hurt the season is lost anyways.

• Like (+1) 1

It kind of stinks IMO.  Josh Allen seemed to really relate to him due to similar attributes.  It's not that easy to say just bring him on as coach.  As other reporters have pointed out, coaching is actually a bigger time commitment than being a 3rd string QB.

Also, Tyree is no where near ready to see anything close to an NFL field.  Last year we used way too many QBs for me to feel comfortable as having Tyree the 3rd.

14 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Peterman has a skill set?

You made my point. ;)

1 minute ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I am of the opinion that Derek Anderson had absolutely nothing to do with Allen's progress last year.   

You have a far different opinion than Josh Allen does then. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Awful players can have good games. He also threw several floaters that could have been picked off in that game. There is no doubt he had a successful game, and results are results. But he’s been historically awful mostly because of his rag arm. He has an abysmal record. If he plays four games I think we win one of them. I have watched him a lot. He’s slightly better than Peterman and has the same skill set. 

I can't dispute your characterization of Barkley as a Peterman-type, with less gunslinger and better field vision, but a similar set of physical skills including a limited arm.

He played a competent game against the Jets.  He flamed out when given a shot to start with Da Bears, but he I think was asked to perform above his pay grade there (though I really don't know too much about Dowell Loggains - do you?). 

Based on the Jets game, he seems a McCarron-type who, with support from a good run game/D and an OC who game plans for him, could meet the backup criteria of 50/50.  I'm not saying I wouldn't like an upgrade at backup, but Barkley isn't Peterman- or Anderson- scary to me.  Maybe I've just got low standards - he isn't Jeff Tuel or Thad Lewis. ?

2 hours ago, BigPappy said:

Yeah, it was terrible to watch. It was like watching a pack of hungry wolves tear apart a kitten. Utter blood bath.

I can't see Anderson as a kitten.  Make it a geriatric elk.  He could defend himself with his antlers at one point, but those days are done.

23 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He went way out of his way to say what a help Anderson was. He went less out of his way to say Barkley also helped. He said nothing about his QB coach. There was a clear preference. 

I'd like to hear the "less out of his way to say Barkley helped" bit - can you linky what you're referencing?

45 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Barkley is far better than the back ups you mentioned. Jackson is a PS level QB.  If Allen is hurt the season is lost anyways.

If Barkley is so good, why would the season be lost?  He seemed to play better than Allen in the one game we saw him play against the Jets last year when Allen was out.

If Allen has to miss a game or two, Barkley can step in and play at an NFL level.  And, if that happens, it would be stupid NOT to have a back-up who’s been on the roster all season - unless you think it would be smarter, at mid-season, to try to talk Anderson out of retirement, or bring in another QB who doesn’t the the playbook or the players.

Edited by The Senator

33 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I hope he sticks around as a coach.  Once again, we have sophomores, rooks, and journeymen at QB (EJ, Tuel, Thad redux).  BTDTGTTS.

why do you think he would make a good coach...plus I think our staff is set

• Like (+1) 1