Derek Anderson retired

Let's face it, Barkley is going to be the #2. Anderson was not going to see the field this year. I think what was great for Josh was when he got hurt last year, he got to see Derek run a week of practice, how to interact with the other players, etc. That wasn't going to happen this year. And with Dorsey here, they don't need DA as much for the coaching the kid up part, in the meeting room or on game day. Plus Josh isn't a rookie anymore. He still has a lot to learn, but he's been through a full season now and isn't quite as raw. And although Barkley hasn't had a lot of playing time in the league, he will be a 5th year vet this year. So he's got some experience as far as being a sounding board for Josh.

But what I think the team needs more than DA's presence is his roster spot. There are going to be some tough decisions at RB, WR, OL, etc. That extra roster spot allows them to keep one more player somewhere else. Hopefully you can stash Tyree on the practice squad and you only call him up this year if there is an injury. And as far as a 4th arm for camp, they can grab anyone, an NFL QB not on a roster or an UDRFA who hasn't been snatched up by a team yet. There are lots of both of those types. The guy won't make the roster, so there are plenty of options if you just need an arm to play with your 3rd or 4th team WRs, etc.

If this was totally Anderson's decision (and not the team saying thanks but we won't need you this year), then it is probably a blessing in disguise.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought Barkley put together one of the best QB games by a Bills QB last season?  First Jets game.  

Our WR looked better, we racked up the points, and while stats aren't everything he had the best QBR and passer rating of a Bills QB last season, passed for 2 TD, 0 INT 232 yds, 9.3 YPA.

Don't get me wrong, the Bears did the experiment of what he looked like over a longer stretch, but for a game or two, if he can continue as he did there, he seemed quite competent.

Awful players can have good games. He also threw several floaters that could have been picked off in that game. There is no doubt he had a successful game, and results are results. But he’s been historically awful mostly because of his rag arm. He has an abysmal record. If he plays four games I think we win one of them. I have watched him a lot. He’s slightly better than Peterman and has the same skill set. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Everyone thinks David Tyree will be given the 3rd spot just because he was a local product.  There’s no evidence the Bills will even keep 3 QB’s on the team

Second mention of David Tyree in this thread, and I'm only on page four. 

Do better, Bills fans.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

500 and change yards from #3 all-time in rushing yards, and he's going to retire? Do you think that kind of attitude is what got him to #4 all time?

https://www.footballdb.com/leaders/career-rushing-yards

Wow... Slowwwwwwww clap for you, @#34fan

Clap just as slow as you please... Thanks for the memories, Frank!

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well now I can exit the fear bunker I built in case he ever had to play again in a Bills uni. It was terrifying. 

What did you have built before Peterman was cut?  

Called this a long time ago. Bills just need two QBs this year. Barkley will do fine as a backup. There are too many young players like Teller and Levi Wallace to waste a roster spot on an emergency QB. If Allen gets hurt for an extended period the season is a waste anyways.  Best to just keep 2 QBs, roll the dice, and keep an extra young player.

....his contract (vet minimum $1.03 mil) was $90K signing bonus and $90K guaranteed......contract would have become fully guaranteed (I think at week 1) based on vesting......seems like retirement was pretty predictable IMO....

50 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Called this a long time ago. Bills just need two QBs this year. Barkley will do fine as a backup. There are too many young players like Teller and Levi Wallace to waste a roster spot on an emergency QB. If Allen gets hurt for an extended period the season is a waste anyways.  Best to just keep 2 QBs, roll the dice, and keep an extra young player.

And then 2016 happens, Tyrod Taylor gets hurt, E.J. Manuel gets benched, and we need rookie Cardale Jones to come in and finish the game.

Or last year, when we opted to trade A.J. McCarron and go with just Peterman and Allen. Then Peterman sucked in game one, Allen became the starter, and we had to scramble to find a third QB - Derek Anderson - to back up Allen.  Then Allen got hurt, Peterman still sucked, and we had to sign Barkley.

It makes sense to carry 3 QBs.  It’s the smart thing to do.  It’s what the Bills will do.  Allen, Barkley, Jackson - there’s your depth chart.

Edited by The Senator
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The Bills should get ahead of this thing now and bring in another qb. I think it’s a good idea to have that 4th guy in the hopper here to get reps and learn the playbook. You are always a hit or 2 away from these backups having to play and you can’t rely on an undrafted rookie with serious mechanical flaws to be a hit away from dressing.

they will definitely have 4 arms in camp.   that is a given.   how many on the roster week 1 is another question.  derek anderson was more than done.  all good

Edited by ProcessTruster

10 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

He was a good a #3 qb as you could find in the league

I think we scored 6 pts with him in for 2 games, he’s terrible, even for a 3. His only purpose was to mentor allen

Edited by Pbomb

29 minutes ago, Pbomb said:

I think we scored 6 pts with him in for 2 games, he’s terrible, even for a 3. His only purpose was to mentor allen

Yup. Josh got a 1/2 year of training and now they have Dorsey. Good luck in retirement DA. 

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'd be fine with that. Barkley is more polished as a backup then the rookie.  Too bad Derek couldn't just Immediately become a qb coach for Josh.

Why do you assume that Anderson would make a good QB coach?  Because he gave Allen some pointers last season when the Bills had a QB coach who wasn't qualified to be one?   They have a real QB coach in Dorsey, so they don't need an apprentice QB coach.

11 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I doubt the Bills are excited about heading into a season with 3 very inexperienced QBs. I realize Barkley is a veteran but it’s not as if he has a ton of game experience. Allen probably has more starts and he missed a bunch of last season. I bet they look for another vet backup qb to go with Barkley. At least for preseason competition.

Since the Bills went into last year's regular season with 3 QBs with 5 total NFL starts among them, I doubt that the Bills are all that consumed with adding a third experienced QB since Josh Allen already has  11 starts and Matt Barkley's had 7 starts over 5 years. 

Moreover, as last year's TC and preseason amply demonstrated, preseason "competition" is a joke when the HC's favored candidate is incompetent.   If you think that McCarron made a stink just because he was an idiot, guess again.   He complained because he wasn't given a fair shot at becoming the starter -- and the team knew it.  That the team instantly played better when the completely inexperienced Allen took over in the 2nd half of the season opener for Peterman proves that.

I'll take a "rookie QB with mechancial issues", which described Josh Allen last season and describes Tyree Jackson this season, over a QB whose only positives are knowing the playbook and trying hard.   Learning the playbook and trying hard isn't only the province of veterans.

Edited by SoTier

12 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

And to the coaching booth with him. 

Yup! They really need to keep him on as staff for Josh. You could see a real change in his play after he spent some time with D. A. He read the field better and faster. it would be a good thing to do to help Josh's mental game continue to grow.

12 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Why does every player have to become a coach? 

I don't think everyone believes every player has to become a coach. But in Anderson's case, there was a significant uptick in JA's playing after Derek arrived. He was mentoring the kid and it showed. He was reading the field better and making quicker decisions with the football. I would not be apposed to DA staying on as a mentor to Josh..

11 hours ago, #34fan said:

I feel like Gore makes it as far as TC, then calls it a career.

I would not be apposed to this either. That MoFo is old as dirt. Yes he was a great player and might have a mile or two left on the treads but i just see his as a brittle old man as far as football is concerned.