What the hell is wrong with Dawson Knox? Only draftee not signed..(6/14 - Now Signed-Go Dawson!!!)

JoeF

17 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

To those screaming "just sign already", hundreds of thousands of dollars is still a lot of money to kids who aren't guaranteed to still be in the league for a big second contract, it's worth fighting for.

What is the reason for the teams to try and save what amounts to a very small portion of their cap by fighting this. If the player doesn't work out, it'll cost them almost nothing, this has nothing to do with guaranteed money. And if the player does work out, they will have them locked up at well below their value.

Sounds rather petty to me.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/25/2019 at 11:52 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Why Are There so Many 3rd-Round NFL Draft Picks That Are Still Unsigned?

Sigmund Bloom -BR (older article but I think it is the same now)

"the dispute stems from the "25 percent rule" per Pasquarelli. That is the rule that allows teams to give rookies raises of up to 25 percent of the combined total of their rookie salary and one-quarter of their signing bonus. Pasquarelli ran the numbers for the first pick of the third round, Indianapolis tight end Dwayne Allen. He needs to check his math, but the difference between giving Allen the minimum salaries and giving him the full 25 percent raise is less than four hundred thousand dollars over the life of the contract.  "

"What makes this more baffling is that most, if not all of that money is not guaranteed. The difference between the minimum raise and a 25 percent raise is irrelevant if the player is cut before his contract is over. Likewise, if the player becomes quality depth or a starter, the difference in the amount of raise becomes irrelevant because they are playing at a massive discount either way."

Interesting.  I wonder if the player agents get something out of it upfront if they manage to negotiate a slightly higher contract, even if it's not guaranteed.  

39 minutes ago, Capco said:

Interesting.  I wonder if the player agents get something out of it upfront if they manage to negotiate a slightly higher contract, even if it's not guaranteed.  

...good question(s).....is if offset language?...guaranteed amount?......

5 hours ago, without a drought said:

What is the reason for the teams to try and save what amounts to a very small portion of their cap by fighting this. If the player doesn't work out, it'll cost them almost nothing, this has nothing to do with guaranteed money. And if the player does work out, they will have them locked up at well below their value.

Sounds rather petty to me.

Did I say a single damned thing about teams saving money, or did you miss that I was clearly arguing for the players to fight for what they can get?

Just now, 1ManRaid said:

Did I say a single damned thing about teams saving money, or did you miss that I was clearly arguing for the players to fight for what they can get?

Settle down.  He's agreeing with you.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I would GUESS that players like Knox, who the team traded up for, have SLIGHTLY more leverage. Considering the Bills expended both a 3rd and a 4th to acquire Knox, that could factor into negotiations. Just a hunch.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I would GUESS that players like Knox, who the team traded up for, have SLIGHTLY more leverage. Considering the Bills expended both a 3rd and a 4th to acquire Knox, that could factor into negotiations. Just a hunch.

And, your new presumed starter just hurt his foot again, that has to give him more leverage for whatever he's asking.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nanker said:

You think Knox not being signed is an issue - the Rams haven’t signed a single one of their draft picks yet. 

https://nfltraderumors.co/2019-nfl-draft-results-by-team/

It appears having all of your draft picks signed at this point is the exception rather than the rule. It is interesting (as talked about in the article quoted previously in this thread) that 25 third round picks are still unsigned. By far, the most of any round.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

There are two points of view to every discussion and debate. He was pointing out the team's view while still agreeing with you. Did you miss that ?

There are still 56 2019 draft picks who have yet to sign contracts.  Most (as discussed earlier) are Round 3 picks.

Singletary signed (I believe) the same day as all of Buffalo's other draft picks.  That's the only part that causes me any confusion.  If the Bills had a way to sign one 3rd rounder, why were they not able to do the same for both 3rd rounders?

My guess is different agents, but I honestly have no clue.

This is the most updated list I've found (last updated on 5/25/19): https://nfltraderumors.co/list-of-unsigned-2019-nfl-draft-picks/

There are 27 different teams on this list, too.  Take that for what it's worth.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

There are still 56 2019 draft picks who have yet to sign contracts.  Most (as discussed earlier) are Round 3 picks.

Singletary signed (I believe) the same day as all of Buffalo's other draft picks.  That's the only part that causes me any confusion.  If the Bills had a way to sign one 3rd rounder, why were they not able to do the same for both 3rd rounders?

My guess is different agents, but I honestly have no clue.

This is the most updated list I've found (last updated on 5/25/19): https://nfltraderumors.co/list-of-unsigned-2019-nfl-draft-picks/

There are 27 different teams on this list, too.  Take that for what it's worth.

...so is the generic holdup offset language or guaranteed money?....pretty hefty number of 3rds unsigned....

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Two trivial observations:

1.  The Packers also have an unsigned Third Round TE, so I'm wondering if Knox is waiting to see what he gets.  Or vice versa.

2.  What's with the Rams?  Are they taking this year off?

Edited by Ennjay
typo

6 minutes ago, Ennjay said:

Two trivial observations:

1.  The Packers also have an unsigned Third Round TE, so I'm wondering if Knox is waiting to see what he gets.  Or vice versa.

2.  What's with the Rams?  Are they taking this year off?

I was wondering the same about the Rams, but I've never paid attention in previous years, so maybe this is normal for them.  No clue.  It does seem odd, though.

On 5/25/2019 at 4:29 PM, 1ManRaid said:

To those screaming "just sign already", hundreds of thousands of dollars is still a lot of money to kids who aren't guaranteed to still be in the league for a big second contract, it's worth fighting for.

Yes but if you hold out too long it can also damage your career and getting to 2nd contract or finishing current contract.  A player can even miss bonuses because they were not in practice when plays were designed / practiced hence plays changed to not use player.

13 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Yes but if you hold out too long it can also damage your career and getting to 2nd contract or finishing current contract.  A player can even miss bonuses because they were not in practice when plays were designed / practiced hence plays changed to not use player.

I thought he's attending the OTAs.

He will be signed by the time camp starts.

13 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Amd yet, just a couple years ago most top picks weren’t signed yet