Dogfish Head & Sam Adams to merge

Meh....not generally a fan of mergers of two good things (cause it usually ends with one mediocre thing).   And certainly not a fan of the current wave of small brewers selling to big ones, but I understand the economic realities driving the trend, so I guess this is better than either of them being purchased by one of the giant, crappy brewers.

• Like (+1) 4

I've been through the Sam Adams brewery here (for work, not on a tour), where 90% of their beer is made. They break a crapload of bottles every day and it's a maze from the 1940's. 

Sam's getting paid (Sam that owns Dogfish Head) so good for him. Their beer is/was excellent.

22 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Meh....not generally a fan of mergers of two good things (cause it usually ends with one mediocre thing).   And certainly not a fan of the current wave of small brewers selling to big ones, but I understand the economic realities driving the trend, so I guess this is better than either of them being purchased by one of the giant, crappy brewers.

Agreed.   Once the corporates (Greggs and Karens) who use the phrase "workflow synergies"  start making the real decisions, you're well on your way to average.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

Agreed.   Once the corporates (Greggs and Karens) who use the phrase "workflow synergies"  start making the real decisions, you're well on your way to average.

Is this good for the company?

image.jpeg.a3a00e66ae1b9a8728de274ad509f168.jpeg

A bit off topic, but I am seeing Heady Topper and Focal Banger all over Vermont now.  Is it being distributed in other areas as well?  I live in central VT, and until recently had to travel 45 minutes north to find it.  

FTR, not a huge HT fan.  Focal Banger is better, but my fav Vermont IPAs by far are Fiddlehead and Hill Farmstead - Edward.

• Like (+1) 1

Sam was a stalwart of the craft beer industry.  Few have the level of respect that he does among brewers and true craft beer enthusiasts.  Props to him for not selling out to one of the big conglomerates.  In all honesty, it was probably the right time for this move and he sold to a much better option.  Cheers, Sam!

• Thank you (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

A bit off topic, but I am seeing Heady Topper and Focal Banger all over Vermont now.  Is it being distributed in other areas as well?  I live in central VT, and until recently had to travel 45 minutes north to find it.  

FTR, not a huge HT fan.  Focal Banger is better, but my fav Vermont IPAs by far are Fiddlehead and Hill Farmstead - Edward.

We are getting regular shipments of heady and focal in the Philly market.  Agree with you about focal.  Fiddlehead is still hard to find here, but I found it in Syracuse once.  Hill Farmstead is well represented down here!

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

We are getting regular shipments of heady and focal in the Philly market.  Agree with you about focal.  Fiddlehead is still hard to find here, but I found it in Syracuse once.  Hill Farmstead is well represented down here!

It appears that Alchemist has finally sold out ?.  Surprised you can get Hill Farmstead.  Another one that is not even readily available across Vermont.  Another one of my favorites is 14th Star Tribute IPA.  If you can get your hands on some of those, do it!  They make an outstanding maple breakfast stout as well.

On 5/11/2019 at 10:31 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Staying off topic, they used to just sell Heady Topper one day a week at one location, and you could only get one case at a time. My brother traveled from Buffalo to Vt to pick up several cases. When he could only get one, he hung outside and every time he saw a couple walking in he would ask them if to pick him up a case if they were only getting one. He ended up getting 4 extra cases that way and headed back.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Staying off topic, they used to just sell Heady Topper one day a week at one location, and you could only get one case at a time. My brother traveled from Buffalo to Vt to pick up several cases. When he could only get one, he hung outside and every time he saw a couple walking in he would ask them if to pick him up a case if they were only getting one. He ended up getting 4 extra cases that way and headed back.

When I first moved here, my friends were all up my ass about bring HT back to CNY for them.  One day I literally drove around for hours to the different stores listed on their website.  I only found one store who had any left, and they only allowed me to buy one case.  After trying the “mistic unicorn” of beers, however, I realized that (in my opinion) it wasn’t nearly as good as the hype led me to believe.  Again, it’s good but wouldn’t even be in my top 5 of Vermont beers.  Not even close.

Definitely prefer Focal Banger over HT.  Never had Fiddlehead, but Hill Farmstead has some great beers.  

One of of my favorites outside of Buffalo is Dancing Gnome out of Pittsburgh.  Great tasting across the lineup, particularly like Jam, an IPA.  In Buffalo I love Thin Man Brewery Trial by Wombat, a NEIPA..delicious.  Also love their raspberry sour called Minkey Boodle.

For those in Buffalo who’d like to try Heady Topper, I saw it at Murphy Browns on Main in Clarence.  Not sure if they have any longer, but they do have a nice selection of craft beers in cans and bottles.  Quite a few on tap also.

• Like (+1) 1

Agree on Focal Banger. Holy Cow is a nice American IPA as well. 

Philly has a "special pipeline" from Hill Farmstead as Shaun Hill and Gene Broillet, from Tired Hands have a long and collaborative friendship, not to mention some of the other beer big wigs in the area.  That's the reason Philly is one of 2 or 3 places in the country to also get Pliny the Elder and more important Pliny the Younger. 

20 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It appears that Alchemist has finally sold out ?.  Surprised you can get Hill Farmstead.  Another one that is not even readily available across Vermont.  Another one of my favorites is 14th Star Tribute IPA.  If you can get your hands on some of those, do it!  They make an outstanding maple breakfast stout as well.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:14 PM, dpberr said:

You are correct, but one exception is when Anheuser Busch bought a Long Island Brewery called "Blue Point." They maintained the quality and make a beer called "Toasted Lager." While not spectacular, it is certainly far superior to any of the mainstream beers.

A nice beer to try is made by the Coney Island Brewery called "Merman." It is a very smooth IPA and is only 5.8% so you can drink 2 or 3without getting plastered. Believe it or not, NYC has excellent water because it comes from upstate reservoirs. There are several good micro breweries in places such as Brooklyn and the Bronx.

• Like (+1) 1

Coming up for the Yankee game on saturday.  Naturally plan on hitting Other Half, but are there Bronx breweries that are must visit?

21 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

You are correct, but one exception is when Anheuser Busch bought a Long Island Brewery called "Blue Point." They maintained the quality and make a beer called "Toasted Lager." While not spectacular, it is certainly far superior to any of the mainstream beers.

A nice beer to try is made by the Coney Island Brewery called "Merman." It is a very smooth IPA and is only 5.8% so you can drink 2 or 3without getting plastered. Believe it or not, NYC has excellent water because it comes from upstate reservoirs. There are several good micro breweries in places such as Brooklyn and the Bronx.