Rookie Minicamp coverage on NFLN 5/10 1pm - Duke Williams will also participate

On 5/12/2019 at 11:23 PM, Putin said:

Then why did he go undrafted? 

WV is a pretty big school we’re not talking South Dakota state here , just seems bizarre the kind of numbers this kid was able to put up and out of 32 teams not even one was willing to give up a 7th round pick for this kid , NOT even US  , 

I hope this kid will work hard , and I hope he could be this years Robert Foster !!! 

Go Bills !!!!

By the way...I am not sure you really understand what GM's are looking for in the late mid rounds through the 7th round.  The primary position of the player is secondary to their ability to play ST's.  Their are guys who slip for reasons like injuries, off field risks, unproven, small school, etc that also find themselves there.  But the majority of picks taken in these later rounds are being done so for the purpose of ST potential as opposed to their primary position.  Beane has publicly said this himself, although its not unique to him, its what all teams do.  

For a guy like Sills, Beane literally said they had a draft-able grade on him and liked him, but chose to go after guys they felt had more ST upside and could start on ST.  This was also a very deep WR class.  It wasn't top heavy, but very deep after that.  Many guys went much later than expected or didnt get drafted at all.  DK went from potential top 15 to end of 2nd.  Butler went from potential late first to early 2nd to the 4th round.  Emmanuel Hall didnt even get drafted and many people here wanted us to take him in the 2nd round.  Even Sills was thought by many to be a sure 4th rounder who could go as high as late 2nd or 3rd round.  

And lots of teams wanted Sills when draft was over, he just chose the Bills.  None of this means he will make the team, but I wouldn't disregard him because he was undrafted, especially since we got very good contributions last year from UDFA players.  He will have an uphill battle though if he cant also contribute on ST.  

I love his story, so rooting for the kid.  I worry though he wont get enough reps in camp with such a deep WR battle as its pretty wide open right now with only Cole really locked into a role right now.  The two outside starters are up for grabs with Foster, Brown and Zay battling...plus you still have Roberts as a lock and getting WR reps too, Ray Ray, and McKenzie.  Only so many balls to go around, so he is going to have to really shine when he gets his chances to keep himself competing for a roster spot.  

My guess is we keep 6 WR's with Cole and Roberts having their respective spots locked up leaving 4 to come out of Foster, Brown, Zay, Duke, Ray Ray, Mckenzie, Sills, Phillips, and the others.  So won't be easy to make this team for Sills.  I also think someone will pick him up if we try and put him on the PS.  So if they like him enough, might make them think about keeping 7.  

Sills best shot at making this team will be one of the following 3 scenarios:  Duke struggles and he straight up beats him out, or we keep 7 WR's, or someone gets hurt/traded.

• Like (+1) 1