TE Lee Smith visiting Bills

51 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Lee Smith is a lot more mobile than most guards/tackles and will be blocking down the field for WRs/RBs when most guards/tackles would be left behind.  That is why you sign a TE like him rather than use an extra OL on play.  The question is just like with FBs will he be on enough plays to warrent a roster slot?

When he is targeted he usually catches the ball (56/66) with 7 TDs - not many guards/tackles can do that.

Okay, thanks. I'm hoping the seventh rounder can be that guy, but if the price is okay, sign the fella and keep the best fits.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Doc said:

...why?  They signed Kroft and Fisher, drafted Knox and Sweeney, and already have Croom.  And he's just a blocker, which is something Fisher can do.  I don't get it.

I'm not convinced Fisher makes the full transition to TE and he has had some injury issues. he has TWO catches as a tackle-eligible. Smith has 50+(but  just   a 7 yard average). Fisher was a mediocre tackle, so blocking experience doesnt necessarioly translate  into becoming a good tight end.

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But seriously?  31 year old reprise of Lee Smith, that's the best you can do for a vet TE?

Try harder.

I hear you Hap.  But not a lot left out there.  From Spotrac.

Jermaine Gresham 31 ARI
Dion Sims 28 CHI
Lee Smith 31 OAK
Lance Kendricks 31 GB
Michael Hoomanawanui 31 NO
Levine Toilolo 28 DET
MarQueis Gray 29 MIA
John Phillips 32 ARI
Jerome Cunningham 28 DET
Matt Lengel 28 CIN
A.J. Derby 27 MIA
Brian Parker 27 DEN
Alex Ellis 26 KC
Alan Cross 26 TB
Jake McGee 27 PIT
Josiah Price 27 MIN
Henry Krieger-Coble 27 LAR
Erik Swoope 27 IND

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But seriously?  31 year old reprise of Lee Smith, that's the best you can do for a vet TE?

Try harder.

..exactly...do w even know YET what we have on the roster?....grass ain't always greener......let's see what these kids have first......

1 hour ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I am getting the feeling we are going to be running the ball 65+% this year. It is one way to give your young qb some help.

Not going to happen.  I'd venture to guess you'd have to go back a long way to find a team that ran the ball > 65% of its offensive plays....and if your QB is so bad that you have to run the ball that much in this pass happy era of the NFL, you probably need a new QB.  

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Try harder.

I can understand the need for veteran leaders, but how old do you need to be to be a veteran? Kroft will be 27 and in his 5th year, can't he be the veteran presence? Also the Bills te coach is 48 and has been an NFL te coach for 12 years. A veteran presence doesn't have to be someone past their prime.

5 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I can understand the need for veteran leaders, but how old do you need to be to be a veteran? Kroft will be 27 and in his 5th year, can't he be the veteran presence? Also the Bills te coach is 48 and has been an NFL te coach for 12 years. A veteran presence doesn't have to be someone past their prime.

You have to have had a prime to be past your prime.  Lee didn't.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I am getting the feeling we are going to be running the ball 65+% this year. It is one way to give your young qb some help.

remember when they Teams loaded the box for tyrod ?

well now we want teams to.
and the Allens chucks the ball to our speed guys.

this is going to b fun.

i am in the minority

wish we kept Smith.

39 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

The position has been a mystery and full of misery since I can remember..Big Pete was even kind of average.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Not going to happen.  I'd venture to guess you'd have to go back a long way to find a team that ran the ball > 65% of its offensive plays....and if your QB is so bad that you have to run the ball that much in this pass happy era of the NFL, you probably need a new QB.  

I'm thinking maybe 20 passing attempts per game for Josh, sort of like Big Ben in 2004. Pass more if you have to, but the goal will to be win next year with the run and defense. Then 2020 round off the weapons and open the offense up.

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I hear you Hap.  But not a lot left out there.  From Spotrac.

Jermaine Gresham 31 ARI
Dion Sims 28 CHI
Lee Smith 31 OAK
Lance Kendricks 31 GB
Michael Hoomanawanui 31 NO
Levine Toilolo 28 DET
MarQueis Gray 29 MIA
John Phillips 32 ARI
Jerome Cunningham 28 DET
Matt Lengel 28 CIN
A.J. Derby 27 MIA
Brian Parker 27 DEN
Alex Ellis 26 KC
Alan Cross 26 TB
Jake McGee 27 PIT
Josiah Price 27 MIN
Henry Krieger-Coble 27 LAR
Erik Swoope 27 IND

Not a great list. The most interesting guy is AJ Derby who was originally drafted by the Patriots and spent some time with Brian Daboll there. He has some upside as a receiver but not much of a blocker. 

A guy who is a free agent but is technically a fullback is Ryan Hewitt, former Colt and Bengal. I like the fact that Hewitt doubles as a tight end and a fullback. It gives the offense a good amount flexibilty and you don't have to keep a dedicated fullback on the roster. 

Another guy out there who can serve multiple roles is Dan Vitale, who the Bills claimed and released a few years ago. Vitale was a superback for Northwestern in college. He can catch, block, and run the ball and can double as a tight end. Vitale ran a 4.6 at the combine. He's bounced around the league, but there is a lot of upside there imo. 

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Not a great list. The most interesting guy is AJ Derby who was originally drafted by the Patriots and spent some time with Brian Daboll there. He has some upside as a receiver but not much of a blocker. 

A guy who is a free agent but is technically a fullback is Ryan Hewitt, former Colt and Bengal. I like the fact that Hewitt doubles as a tight end and a fullback. It gives the offense a good amount flexibilty and you don't have to keep a dedicated fullback on the roster. 

Another guy out there who can serve multiple roles is Dan Vitale, who the Bills claimed and released a few years ago. Vitale was a superback for Northwestern in college. He can catch, block, and run the ball and can double as a tight end. Vitale ran a 4.6 at the combine. He's bounced around the league, but there is a lot of upside there imo. 

Interesting about the Derby/Daboll connection but it seems the Bills want another blocking TE for camp.

With only 4 true TEs on the roster and the Fisher experiment they are likely to sign someone.

• Like (+1) 1