TE Lee Smith visiting Bills

42 minutes ago, Doc said:

...why?  They signed Kroft and Fisher, drafted Knox and Sweeney, and already have Croom.  And he's just a blocker, which is something Fisher can do.  I don't get it.

Competition for camp.

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is a better blocker than Fisher. 

Yes he is. Maybe if he does not make 53 man roster they will offer him spot as assistant coach.  Lee once mentioned he wanted to get into coaching post football.

They also have more OL and more WR on the roster than they need.  Some guys are going to get cut in the later stages of training camp.  If they sign Smith, that just means that one more of the TEs on the roster will be cut at that time.  Perhaps Smith is the guy they cut, or perhaps he beats out one of the other guys (many here think it will be Fisher) and makes the team.  What's different this season from recent years is that there will be guys with some level of talent and can play that will be cut.  Should make for a much stronger and deeper roster.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

...why?  They signed Kroft and Fisher, drafted Knox and Sweeney, and already have Croom.  And he's just a blocker, which is something Fisher can do.  I don't get it.

Do we actually know that fisher is an effective perimeter player, or can block well at his new weight? 

Seems they want to add a solid one between Sweeney, this visit and fisher. Whether they think they have one is up for debate. 

This would be a signing for the preseason, and not a bad one.     Things are wide open after Kroft and Knox.   If the others get injured or do not work out, you know what you have in Smith who can block and be an option in the red zone. 

Edited by dgrochester55

Lee Smith is one of the top 3 or 4 blocking tight ends in the NFL. Seriously.

I know he became sort of a running joke around here because of his one dimensional play and his complete inability to be a receiving threat, but if you need a blocking tight end, you can do a lot worse than Lee Smith.

That said, I'm surprised they're still adding to the position. I know you need a certain number of guys for camp, but sheesh, they already have 5 TEs on the roster.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Lee Smith is one of the top 3 or 4 blocking tight ends in the NFL. Seriously.

I know he became sort of a running joke around here because of his one dimensional play and his complete inability to be a receiving threat, but if you need a blocking tight end, you can do a lot worse than Lee Smith.

That said, I'm surprised they're still adding to the position. I know you need a certain number of guys for camp, but sheesh, they already have 5 TEs on the roster.

Well, Fisher is a project... they don’t even know if he can play TE yet. Then the other blocking TE is a 7th rd rookie. I don’t blame them, plus he’s a vet who can help in the film room. TE is one of the tougher positions to learn as a rookie and 2 of the 4 we have are rookies, and 1 has never played TE at this level. 

Edited by YoloinOhio