TE Lee Smith visiting Bills

...why?  They signed Kroft and Fisher, drafted Knox and Sweeney, and already have Croom.  And he's just a blocker, which is something Fisher can do.  I don't get it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That would all but end Jake Fisher's chance of making the roster. Are there any players left from Smith's first spell? Did he and Jerry cross for one year? 

I'm guessing signing Smith would just give us an insurance policy in case Fisher doesn't pan out at his new position

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

...why?  They signed Kroft and Fisher, drafted Knox and Sweeney, and already have Croom.  And he's just a blocker, which is something Fisher can do.  I don't get it.

He’s a “vet” TE, something they don’t have. Could be it. 

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

What's the problem with bringing in more competition?  Could take the 4th TE spot.  Keep the best 4

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Laughing Coffin said:

What's the problem with bringing in more competition?  Could take the 4th TE spot.  Keep the best 4

If it's for the minimum with no signing bonus, sure.

Beane isn't just building the best 53 or even 90 man roster. He's got to have a list in his pocket of who to call if the injury bug hits. Maybe this is about the roster going into camp, and maybe it's about contingency planning. One thing is for certain, Beane isn't sitting with his feet on the desk, he's kicking over every rock.

Edited by ocemur
  • Like (+1) 3

I mean what’s the chances Fisher is successful in his transition. I get the blocking TE thing for him but he was a below average offensive lineman who will still be blocking DEs and he offers probably nothing in the passing game. 

Smith is still a hell of a blocking TE and at least offers something in the passing game. I fully suspect you’ll see Sweeney on the PS. 

Kroft is the all around guy, Knox is the pass catcher, Smith the Blocker, and Croom if he makes the roster(I suspect he would) would allow them to use Knox and him in passing situations 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ocemur said:

Beane isn't just building the best 53 or even 90 man roster. He's got to have a list in his pocket of who to call if the injury bug hits. Maybe this is about the roster going into camp, and maybe it's about contingency planning. One thing is for certain, Beane isn't sitting with his feet on the desk, he's kicking over every rock.

Think he learned a valuable lesson last year when we became thin at several positions.

• Like (+1) 2