Jordan Mills to Dolphins

38 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea I was actually hoping they'd bring him back for depth purposes, but it looks like they've upgraded at both starter and back up over Mills. 

Yeah, I have no issue with him not coming back. I like where they stand at the position. Mills isn’t terrible though. Everyone is ready to hand Dawkins a free pass and plug him in at LT but Mills was the better player last year. He’s a borderline starter in the NFL. This isn’t like some division rival handing Peterman the keys.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, I have no issue with him not coming back. I like where they stand at the position. Mills isn’t terrible though. Everyone is ready to hand Dawkins a free pass and plug him in at LT but Mills was the better player last year. He’s a borderline starter in the NFL. This isn’t like some division rival handing Peterman the keys.

If the Bills had signed him away there would be a bunch of references on TSW about how great the old teams running game was in 2015 and 2016 with Mills as a starter. :flirt:

I know people were ga-ga over the Cody Ford pick......mainly because draft boards that didn't take positional value into much account said he was a top 15 player.................but the fact that you can get ANY kind of young, durable starting player like Mills at a position this late in FA speaks volumes about the positional value of the RT position.    

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Ouch

Experts: The only reason Rosen looked like the 2nd coming of Nathan Peterman at times was the lack of OL protection the Cards had in place. He will be good with the next team.

Fish: Hold my beer

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If the Bills had signed him away there would be a bunch of references on TSW about how great the old teams running game was in 2015 and 2016 with Mills as a starter. :flirt:

I know people were ga-ga over the Cody Ford pick......mainly because draft boards that didn't take positional value into much account said he was a top 15 player.................but the fact that you can get ANY kind of young, durable starting player like Mills at a position this late in FA speaks volumes about the positional value of the RT position.    

I believe what you are saying but I don't get the reasoning.

Wouldn't the NFL being a passing league seem to dictate more importance to a Right Tackle? D Linemen stunt all the time looking for a mismatch. Additionally, with the LBs and perhaps even the safeties getting smaller, wouldn't a big, stud RT also be more effective in the running game?

I never thought Mills was that good but Ford looks to me like a very good player. Even if his floor is to be an excellent RG I am fine with this.

Jmo.

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Agreed regarding the value.  It's a tough situation for a kid like Ford, who I think is a very good football player.

I think he's the kind of guy that has very high value for a RT, because he's going to end up a solid starter somewhere on your line.  Might be RT, might be LG, who knows?  You're right, however, that he's probably not the guy you prioritize picking on day 1 or early on day 2.  Kind of unfortunate for him, because like I said: very good player IMO.

I do find it interesting, however, that a team like Oakland would go pay $16M AAV to Trent Brown in FA just to move him back to RT.  That seems really crazy to me. If other teams follow suit in future years, then the idea of drafting RTs early might change, but we shall see.

44 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I believe what you are saying but I don't get the reasoning.

Wouldn't the NFL being a passing league seem to dictate more importance to a Right Tackle? D Linemen stunt all the time looking for a mismatch. Additionally, with the LBs and perhaps even the safeties getting smaller, wouldn't a big, stud RT also be more effective in the running game?

I never thought Mills was that good but Ford looks to me like a very good player. Even if his floor is to be an excellent RG I am fine with this.

Jmo.

Ford is probably going to be good at some point in his first contract at least somewhere on the OL but as you know when it comes contract time it's unlikely they pay him if he performs.

You can't be great everywhere and it just happens that you can find starting Centers,  RT's, guards, LB's and safeties for value in free agency.

You gotta' use premium picks to fill those $15M-$20M positions with studs where it's mano-a-mano first.    The Bills lack a stud LT, stud WR1 and a stud edge rusher.   They didn't necessarily lack a starting RT or G like Ford.

IMO they let their Gettleman-esque non-positional-value board move them into taking a RT and a RB pretty early.   Two positions they heavily addressed in UFA.  Made no sense to me.   I mean were they thinking......."boy, I just don't know if a RT/G type and a RB will fall to us.........we better sign 6 OL and 2 RB's in UFA".:lol:

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Agreed regarding the value.  It's a tough situation for a kid like Ford, who I think is a very good football player.

I think he's the kind of guy that has very high value for a RT, because he's going to end up a solid starter somewhere on your line.  Might be RT, might be LG, who knows?  You're right, however, that he's probably not the guy you prioritize picking on day 1 or early on day 2.  Kind of unfortunate for him, because like I said: very good player IMO.

I do find it interesting, however, that a team like Oakland would go pay $16M AAV to Trent Brown in FA just to move him back to RT.  That seems really crazy to me. If other teams follow suit in future years, then the idea of drafting RTs early might change, but we shall see.

The expectation is that Ford is going to come in and be a stud right away.    Right or wrong it was already assumed that Nsekhe or Waddle or Dawkins were going to provide better play at RT than Jordan Mills........so more is expected of Ford.    That's a tall task for any OL nowadays.   If he doesn't then people will immediately be perplexed about the pick.

I have no idea what the Raiders were thinking with Brown.    Same with the Jets with CJ Moseley.    That's the kind of stupidity you used to see from teams back in the day when half of the league was in cap hell every offseason.    Bills did the same with Lotulelei last offseason.    He's nowhere near the player that Snacks Harrison is but he got the same type of huge overpay.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 7:53 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

No ppl are Gaga over Ford because he is a good player

jordan mills is not

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

No ppl are Gaga over Ford because he is a good player

jordan mills is not

Don’t you know? You cannot argue with the source of all that is true! 

I’m wide open. We shall see how it turns out. The people who pretend to KNOW......tire me. It’s all just a collection of opinions. I don’t disrespect people with strong opinions. But if they were actually better than the people with the job, why aren’t THEY collecting those millions? 

Maybe they are doing better? I don’t know. More questions than answers here. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Augie said:

Don’t you know? You cannot argue with the source of all that is true! 

I’m wide open. We shall see how it turns out. The people who pretend to KNOW......tire me. It’s all just a collection of opinions. I don’t disrespect people with strong opinions. But if they were actually better than the people with the job, why aren’t THEY collecting those millions? 

Maybe they are doing better? I don’t know. More questions than answers here. 

Let me drill down on this a little bit

Cody Ford was one of the best OL in college football on a all star caliber offensive line....his prospects of being a good OL in the pros are good....we need to see it at the NFL level.

Jordan Mills time with us at best has been a below average starter.....he is a nasty run blocker but he gets beat so often in pass protection that you just hope year to year that you can find a better alternative to him......so calling him "bad" maybe I mispeak on that a bit.....maybe what I need to say is "not good enough

If we want our 6 foot 5 inch hulking cannon armed young QB to go through his progressions and continue to improve his passing game.....we HAVE to give him consistant OL protection and a solid running game to take the pressure off him (and keep him healthy)

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Let me drill down on this a little bit

Cody Ford was one of the best OL in college football on a all star caliber offensive line....his prospects of being a good OL in the pros are good....we need to see it at the NFL level.

Jordan Mills time with us at best has been a below average starter.....he is a nasty run blocker but he gets beat so often in pass protection that you just hope year to year that you can find a better alternative to him......so calling him "bad" maybe I mispeak on that a bit.....maybe what I need to say is "not good enough

If we want our 6 foot 5 inch hulking cannon armed young QB to go through his progressions and continue to improve his passing game.....we HAVE to give him consistant OL protection and a solid running game to take the pressure off him (and keep him healthy)

He’s bad enough the Dolphins put him on the second team after a week of practice.

On 5/9/2019 at 7:37 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills backup oline this year would have all been starters last year. It’s going to be a huge improvement this year.

Meanwhile, this just in from Miami:

"On the negative side, former Bills starter Jordan Mills has disappointed to the point where he lost his first-team right tackle position after a week, replaced by guard Jesse Davis the past two days. Nate Orchard abused Mills for two sacks on Tuesday."

Yeah, we're going to miss you Jordan Mills.

Edited by CSBill
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Nate Orchard abused Mills for two sacks on Tuesday

Same Nate Orchard cut by Bills last year after being picked up from the Browns.  Went on to KC and then was signed by Seahawks before winding up in MIA.  Not exactly a top tier pass rusher beating Mills like a drum.