Possible Cap Casualties

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

Top priority at this point is to add another middle linebacker. After Edmunds there is not another guy on the roster that would make another NFL team.

Adding another pass rushing DE or edge guy would be second. Of course that depends alot on PED Murphy's health.

I would love to bring in Navorro Bowman for some depth and to increase competition. 

I’m not sure if he’s still a free agent, or if he’d sign here almost surely as a backup though. 

Great work compiling the list.  There are some definite future cap casualties on it.  Some of the better players are likely to restructure existing deals to stay where they are.  Guys like Harris are being difficult to get more cash and probably don't care where they play next year.  As other posters have indicated, there are a few that would be great fits for our Bills.  I think there will be some surprises that aren't on the list, maybe a couple of Bills.  I'm sure Beane is on top of this and will be ready to move if the right guy becomes available.

4 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

omg I would be on Sean Lee so fast if he were cut. 

Like a gold digger at millionaires retirement home 

4 hours ago, glazeduck said:

Sean Lee ain't going anywhere (unless it's in a wheelchair).

But seriously, he's the heart and soul of that Dallas defense. They'll find other ways trim that massive amount of fat... 

Sean Lee is the heart and soul of Dallas' injury report.  No thanks!

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, elijah said:

I’m not necessarily saying he would, more so saying it shouldn’t be that surprising if it did happen. 

They’re tight against the cap, actually negative right now, and they just drafted Josh Allen.  The other side is set with Ngakue and cutting Campbell would save them $12 million. 

Out of this list, I expect maybe 2 or 3 of them to actually get cut.  A lot of guys are talented players that you wouldn’t expect a team to cut, but when cap space gets tight we’ve seen crazier things happen. 

Two things- I suppose a question and a point

1) are the savings noted the specific June 1 distinction savings?

2) now that you can designate a guy a June 1, the actual day is no longer particularly important 

20 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

omg I would be on Sean Lee so fast if he were cut. 

Like a gold digger at millionaires retirement home 

How does your wife feel about this?  

10 minutes ago, ALF said:

After Knox signs,   Bill's cap about $25.5M ,    that would be a nice roll over 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

it would  But I believe the Bills need to spend more to meet the league 4 year spending limit 

This rule mandates that over a set 4 year span a club must average spending of at least 89% of the allocated cap. We are currently in year 3 of the current 4 year span (2017-2020).

Based on publicly available figures from Spotrac and the NFLPA, the Bills are required to spend about $213.95 million in cash dollars between 2019 and 2020 (assuming a $10 million salary cap increase in 2020) in order to comply with the CBA-required 89% team minimum cash spend. Currently, the Bills are at around 88.3% for 2017 and 2018 (the minimum is computed-based on a 2017-2020 average), and need to spend around $83.1 million in 2019 in order to be on pace to meet the minimum of 89%. The team already has $87.375 million in 2019 committed cash, so it shouldn’t be difficult. If only the minimum cash spending to be on pace is equaled in 2019, the team would then be required to spend a whopping $130.85 million in cash in 2020. The Bills currently only have $46.25 million in committed cash for 2020.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/2/11/18218124/buffalo-bills-need-to-spend-cash-this-offseason-to-meet-nfl-requirements-nflpa-salary-cap

Of course 2020 there are still 20 ish spots to fill in 2020 so...  factor that in. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

19 hours ago, elijah said:

I would love to bring in Navorro Bowman for some depth and to increase competition. 

I’m not sure if he’s still a free agent, or if he’d sign here almost surely as a backup though. 

He is a Raider.

21 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Agreed.  I very highly doubt that he would be a cap casualty anytime soon. 

21 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

It’s the Jags so you never know.  He’d be an incredible pick up for anything less than a premium draft pick. 

Doubt he gets released. They cut Malik Jackson and restructured Dareus so they can keep Campbell. But, he would look great in a Bills jersey.