Possible Cap Casualties

After missing out on Ziggy Ansah, it’s time to look forward to the next wave of cuts coming.  June 1 is a big day in a lot of contracts and takes off some of the dead cap that teams have to carry in the case of cutting a player, so I looked at some teams tight against the cap and some players they would save a lot of money by cutting and compiled a list. 

NOTE: I’m not saying every name on this list is going to get cut, I understand it would take some crazy scenarios for a couple of these players to get cut, but this is just a list of players that won’t weigh heavy to cut on a team that’s up against the salary cap.  I’m also not saying the Bills would be interest in everyone, or anyone, on the list.  Just some names to keep our eyes on as June 1 and training camp approach closer. 

I may have missed a few but from glancing through spotrac these are the names that popped out too me. 

Paranthesis are roughly (team savings by cutting player/teams cap space) 

DE, Everson Griffin - Vikings ($7.5M/-$17M)

DT, Gerald McCoy - Buccaneers ($13M/-$13M)

OLB, Lavonte David - Buccaneers ($10M/-$13M)

WR, Mohammed Sanu - Falcons ($6M/-$14M)

CB, Joe Haden - Steelers ($10M/-$14M)

DE, Dante Fowler Jr. - Rams ($12M/-$6M)

CB, Aqib Talib - Rams ($8M/-$6M)

DE, Mike Daniels - Packers ($8M/-$10M)

CB, Tramon Williams - Packers ($4M/-$6M)

DE, Mario Addison - Panthers ($8M/-$5.5M)

CB, Chris Harris - Broncos ($8M/-$6M)

DE, Derek Wolfe - Broncos ($8M/-$6M)

DE/OLB, Ryan Kerrigan - Redskins ($10M/-$3M)

TE, Vernon Davis - Redskins ($5M/-$3M)

DE, Calais Campbell - Jaguars ($12M/-$5M)

OLB, Sean Lee - Cowboys ($6M, -$250k)

DT, Tyrone Crawford - Cowboys ($7M, -$250k) 

DT, Xavier Williams - Chiefs ($3M, -$2M)

RT, Marcus Gilbert - Cardinals ($5M, $500k)

DE, Chris Long - Eagles ($5M/$4.5M)

If any of the above were to get cut, there’s quite a few players that I think would be worth taking a flier on for the  Bills.  Namely being Everson Griffin, Mario Addison, Ryan Kerrigan, Calais Campbell, Mohammed Sanu, Aqib Talib, Joe Haden and Chris Harris.

Chris Harris is really someone to keep your eyes on with the reports of wanting a trade if not restructured. 

Edited by elijah
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, elijah said:

After missing out on Ziggy Ansah, it’s time to look forward to the next wave of cuts coming.  June 1 is a big day in a lot of contracts and takes off some of the dead cap that teams have to carry in the case of cutting a player, so I looked at some teams tight against the cap and some players they would save a lot of money by cutting and compiled a list. 

NOTE: I’m not saying every name on this list is going to get cut, I understand it would take some crazy scenarios for a couple of these players to get cut, but this is just a list of players that won’t weigh heavy to cut on a team that’s up against the salary cap.  I’m also not saying the Bills would be interest in everyone, or anyone, on the list.  Just some names to keep our eyes on as June 1 and training camp approach closer. 

I may have missed a few but from glancing through spotrac these are the names that popped out too me. 

If any of the above were to get cut, there’s quite a few players that I think would be worth taking a flier on for the  Bills.  Namely being Everson Griffin, Mario Addison, Ryan Kerrigan, Calais Campbell, Mohammed Sanu, Aqib Talib, Joe Haden and Chris Harris.

Chris Harris is really someone to keep your eyes on with the reports of wanting a trade if not restructured. 

How many CB's do we need?  We probably have 5 starting caliber corners already and one who is a legit all-pro level corner.

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

How many CB's do we need?  We probably have 5 starting caliber corners already and one who is a legit all-pro level corner.

That’s a stretch. 

Tre White is very talented and a top cornerback in the league, but he’s not quite an all-pro level corner yet.  Pro bowl caliber? Yes.  But all-pro is a whole new tier of cornerback’s, you’re talking about top 5 in the league, I’m not sure Tre is top 5 in the league yet. 

And I’m not sure I would go as far to say we have 5 starting caliber corners.  Gaines showed capable back in 2017 when he was healthy. Taron Johnson had a terrific year, but again that’s when he was healthy. On top of not consistently being healthy, McDermott seemed to like Taron in the slot rather than on the outside. Levi Wallace had a good year but he had a very small amount of playing time and being an undrsfted free agent, you can hope for the best but ultimately should expect his game to regress with more exposure. 

And who who are you considering the fifth? Kevin Johnson? He may not even make the roster and is extremely injury prone. 

We we have one sure fire starter and then a bunch of borderline starters that provide for excellent depth.  Bringing in another starting caliber corner could really improve this defense. 

2 minutes ago, SMAKCruiser said:

Dante Fowler was just signed to a 1 year deal in March,  why would they cut him June 1st?   

I’ll edit him out of the list, I thought he was on the last year of his old contract, not the first one of a new one year deal. Thank you ? 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, elijah said:

That’s a stretch. 

Tre White is very talented and a top cornerback in the league, but he’s not quite an all-pro level corner yet.  Pro bowl caliber? Yes.  But all-pro is a whole new tier of cornerback’s, you’re talking about top 5 in the league, I’m not sure Tre is top 5 in the league yet. 

And I’m not sure I would go as far to say we have 5 starting caliber corners.  Gaines showed capable back in 2017 when he was healthy. Taron Johnson had a terrific year, but again that’s when he was healthy. On top of not consistently being healthy, McDermott seemed to like Taron in the slot rather than on the outside. Levi Wallace had a good year but he had a very small amount of playing time and being an undrsfted free agent, you can hope for the best but ultimately should expect his game to regress with more exposure. 

And who who are you considering the fifth? Kevin Johnson? He may not even make the roster and is extremely injury prone. 

We we have one sure fire starter and then a bunch of borderline starters that provide for excellent depth.  Bringing in another starting caliber corner could really improve this defense. 

I think Tre played at dang near close to an all-pro level his rookie year, but stepped back a bit this year. 

If Johnson comes back from injury I expect him to be a top 3 nickel back in the league this year.

As for Wallace, people seem to sleep on how well he played last year. Definitely it needs to be tempered and we can't expect anything amazing, but I wouldn't be shocked if he became a solid-very good starter this year. 

Just now, whatdrought said:

Maybe if that Defense lays an egg again this year. More likely a mid-season trade candidate if they're done by Halloween.

It’s the Jags so you never know.  He’d be an incredible pick up for anything less than a premium draft pick. 

Just now, BarleyNY said:

It’s the Jags so you never know.  He’d be an incredible pick up for anything less than a premium draft pick. 

Honestly, I know he's older and he has a big cap hit, but I'd give them our 2020 second rounder right now. I think we're at a point where we can recover from that and his addition would send this defense to the top of the league very quickly. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Agreed.  I very highly doubt that he would be a cap casualty anytime soon. 

I’m not necessarily saying he would, more so saying it shouldn’t be that surprising if it did happen. 

They’re tight against the cap, actually negative right now, and they just drafted Josh Allen.  The other side is set with Ngakue and cutting Campbell would save them $12 million. 

Out of this list, I expect maybe 2 or 3 of them to actually get cut.  A lot of guys are talented players that you wouldn’t expect a team to cut, but when cap space gets tight we’ve seen crazier things happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, elijah said:

I’m not necessarily saying he would, more so saying it shouldn’t be that surprising if it did happen. 

They’re tight against the cap, actually negative right now, and they just drafted Josh Allen.  The other side is set with Ngakue and cutting Campbell would save them $12 million. 

Out of this list, I expect maybe 2 or 3 of them to actually get cut.  A lot of guys are talented players that you wouldn’t expect a team to cut, but when cap space gets tight we’ve seen crazier things happen. 

I get that older players making a lot are the usual suspects for cap savings. But I think you might be underestimating how good Calais Campbell is.  He’s been an absolute freaking stud for the last several seasons.  I think you have a good list overall, but the Jags probably are not letting Campbell go at all. If they were to, it’d be for significant draft value.  As for their cap issues, I really don’t think things are that bad for the Jags.  They only show being over the cap if you count all contracts. They have over $14M available under the rule of 51.  The draft picks will trim that down, but they won’t have to make any cap moves to accommodate them. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, elijah said:

It's quite common for teams to try to trade these contracts before outright cutting them.

36 minutes ago, elijah said:

Lavonte David or Sean Lee would be awesome additions to this defense...I'd prefer David, but Lee would  be solid too.

That would allow McDermott and Frazier to use Lorenzo Alexander in a variety of ways, and give them three LBs that are good in coverage too.

David/Lee - Edmunds - Milano would be a top-5 LB unit in the NFL.

And I might prefer Alexander at DE over anyone not named Jerry Hughes, especially on passing downs (where I'd prefer a better coverage LB).

Other than that, I'd take Sanu or Davis...we still need a big (proven) WR and a #1 TE.