Your greatest golf shot ever?

eball

On May 10, 2019 at 4:04 PM, ChevyVanMiller said:

I'm not sure if this qualifies, but once I was playing a round at Hickory Stick in Lewiston with three buddies and two women were playing a hole behind us.. One teed off and watched in horror as her ball headed directly toward us. The ball hit me. I immediately clasped my hands together at my groin, fell to the ground and proceeded to roll around in agony.

The woman rushed down to me, and immediately began to apologize. “Please allow me to help. I’m a physical therapist and I know I could relieve your pain if you’d allow me,” she told me

“Oh, no, I’ll be all right. I’ll be fine in a few minutes,” I replied.

It was obvious that I was in agony, lying in the fetal position, still clasping my hands together at my groin.

The female golfer/therapist, her name turned out to be Linda, urged me to let her help me, so at her persistence, I finally allowed her to help.

She gently took my hands away and laid them at my side, loosened my pants and put her hands inside. She administered tender and artful massage to my privates for several long moments and then asked, “How does that feel”?

I replied, “That feels great, but my thumb still hurts like Hell!” 

Tell the truth.  You're a Bob Kraft and your thumb hurt from being in your butt right?

One of my greatest shots ever might have been one of my worst, but the entertainment value was top notch.

I was playing a best ball tourney as part of my college buddy’s stag party.  The rule was if you didn’t hit your tee shot past the ladies tee box, you had to play the rest of the hole with your pants around your ankles.

I was teeing off and somehow hit my shot almost 100 yards in the air...almost straight above my head.  This shot defied the laws of physics!!  Anyway, there were about 10 people watching and I could hear them start to laugh and cheer.  My shot hit the ground hard and proceeded to roll, literally, about a half a foot in front of the ladies tee box.  The crowd was very disappointed.  Phew!

I had a tree between me and the green and was about 10 yards behind the tree. I carry a 1 iron in my bag to use to keep the ball low and punch out in those circumstances. I aimed a little left of the tree and took my swing, The ball hits the tree about 2 or 3 feet up and comes flying back at me faster than I could move. The ball hit me square on the chin and nearly knocked me out.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/10/2019 at 3:39 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Should have just had the rest of your gang concede a four footer as a fait accompli, and picked up for your eagle.  ?

Not a hope in hades.....  :D

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

I had a tree between me and the green and was about 10 yards behind the tree. I carry a 1 iron in my bag to use to keep the ball low and punch out in those circumstances. I aimed a little left of the tree and took my swing, The ball hits the tree about 2 or 3 feet up and comes flying back at me faster than I could move. The ball hit me square on the chin and nearly knocked me out.

I had a similar situation, and my buddy in the cart behind me said hold on, let me move out of the way. I was offended! I thought I had plenty of room to turn it around that tree. Turns out.....he was wiser on that call. I had time to think “Oh %#@*!” Before the ball whizzed past my head. I was so sure......

Once I was not so lucky. Playing in Sea Pines I’m even with my BIL as he hits an iron off the toe. It came at me like a heat seeking missle! I think the laws of physics may have been defied that day I got the giant bruise on my arm. 

3 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Sorry to laugh, I'm sure it didn't tickle. The visual in my head was pretty funny though, and I know you survived.? 

2 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Sorry to laugh, I'm sure it didn't tickle. The visual in my head was pretty funny though, and I know you survived.? 

It didn't tickle and I did survive ... I also learned how to use the toe iron after that mishap.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

It didn't tickle and I did survive ... I also learned how to use the toe iron after that mishap.

You’re out there to have a good time! Use all means at your disposal. 

I’ve played with guys who want to bet on every hole. I tell them up front I plan to cheat on any hole where it will make my day more pleasurable. That usually shuts them down. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/9/2019 at 10:27 AM, The Senator said:

Hole-in-one, 17th hole (short par 3), at Foxtail (South Course), Rohnert Park, CA (1994) - very lucky shot.

I was living down the road in Sebastopol in '94. Hit some balls at Foxtail driving range but never played the course. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, KD in CA said:

No such thing as a gimmie eagle....you gotta putt that out.

I bear no grudge then or 15 years later and wouldn’t give them one either

On 5/12/2019 at 9:56 PM, Turk71 said:

I was living down the road in Sebastopol in '94. Hit some balls at Foxtail driving range but never played the course. 

My goodness, we were practically neighbors! My good pal Dave Supple lived in Santa Rosa, owned ‘Dave’s’ on 3rd and Market.

Was playing with about 20 pals in our annual Russian River fest - best ball tourney.  They had to use one of my drives.

Guess which one? ?️♂️??

This seems to have turned into a craziest golf shots thread which is good for me since I am short on great ones.

My craziest was also my first Eagle.  I hit a good drive and a decent approach that was even with the hole but faded just off the right side of the green.  I had one of those little 7 iron bump and run type shots and a very readable line.  I thought it was makable.  I knew exactly what I wanted to do and got a little excited when I started to come forward because I had executed the first part of the swing.  I peaked something fierce and hit a scorching line drive far better than I had ever hit in all my years of baseball.  My opponent in the trap on the other side of the green ran a quick two or three steps in an effort to avoid being hit.  I was pissed but then thought "at least I hit it straight".  The ball hit the flag a foot up and dropped straight into the cup.  I raised my hands in triumph and my opponent called me a name.

The craziest shot I ever witnessed is something I still can't believe.  It was in the same league as the shot above.  It was place rounds on the last week.  We were in second but needed a dominant performance to pass the team we were playing.  It was a fun league with wildly varying handicaps.  We won the point on the first hole.  I was ok and one of the opponents (an older guy that was a lot of fun to be around) was equal with my handicap.  We had busted each others chops all week leading up to the match.  I worked with him and knew him well.  My partner was better and his partner was terrible.  

On the second hole the average opponent and myself were getting one shot each from my partner but his partner was getting two.  I hit a decent drive on the par 5 and my partner crushed one.  Decent opponent hits one equal to me and his partner barely clears a little pond and goes into a medium sized patch of woods between the mens and women's tees.  We all waited while he went into the woods to look.  He gave up and was going to take a drop behind the pond and hit #3.  My partner (who could find a golf ball in the jungles of the Congo) says wait, and finds the ball in a nanosecond (dirty look from me).  

Bad golfer punches out #2, and hits a good #3 up the middle (dirtier look from me to my partner).  Myself and other opponent screw up the fairway and eventually end up lying 4 with me in the trap on the right and him in the trap on the left.  Partner hits a good #2 and opponent hits an real good (for him) #4 ending up just 10 yards behind my partner's ball.  3 of us are lying 4 and my partner is lying 2 so we're in good shape.  Not really.  With me standing in the trap the bad opponent hits a screamer that looks to be destined to go 30 yards past the large green.  Similar to my shot above however, it is very straight (although standing to the side I couldn't tell at the time).  

This ball hit the flag 4 feet up and came back an exact 180 degrees directly at the opponent 50 yards away.  It came backwards a full 20 feet (still on the green), landed with a wicked forward spin on it and rolled directly into the cup.  I still can't believe I saw it.  My jaw dropped (I was and still am pissed at my partner for finding that ball).  The best part is when I looked up, having cursed three times already in my head and about to from my mouth, I saw the opponent in the trap across from me look me directly in the eye, smile, laugh and give me the finger.  My partner failed to chip in for Eagle to get half a point.  I didn't hit a good shot the rest of the night and we finished in 3rd.

Leagues never seemed any fun to me.  I only played in one for a single summer and there were way too many sandbaggers and it completely ruined it.  I only won one match that entire summer and even that one wound up not counting.  I won the first 4 holes of a 9 hole match.  I then won the 5th, but the guy told me a score lower than what he actually got.  I didn't bother calling him on it since it really didn't matter at that point and I didn't want to look like a dick.  On the 6th hole, the siren goes off and the day was over.  Since the match wasn't officially over, they didn't count it.

18 hours ago, The Senator said:

My goodness, we were practically neighbors! My good pal Dave Supple lived in Santa Rosa, owned ‘Dave’s’ on 3rd and Market.

Was playing with about 20 pals in our annual Russian River fest - best ball tourney.  They had to use one of my drives.

Guess which one? ?️♂️??

I was living with a girlfriend just a mile or so west of Sebastopol for a few years 93 to 96. Had a good friend in Monte Rio who lived on a steep hill on the north side of the Russian River. I got stuck there for a few days when the river flooded. A two car garage about 3 houses down from him got swept away by a river of mud one night. We heard it when it happened. The next day you could see cars sticking up out of the mud over a hundred feet down the hill.

Edited by Turk71
  • Sad 1