Your greatest golf shot ever?

eball

9 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Downhill par 3 at my local course.  It's listed as 114 yds but it's severely downhill to a green you can only see half of that has a ridge running through the middle of it.  Thick grass and a swale in front of the green, drops off sharply off the back with very little fringe and rough before hand, trees and OB beyond the slope off the back.  If you hit the ridge the ball will bounce over, if you hit it short you won't get a bounce up, if you hit it long at all it carries or bounces over and usually goes OB.  Anyway, it's dinky little hole but the green is difficult enough that it's hard to hit a shot with enough spin to stop but also not fly over the back.  It usually ends up as a choked down 56 degree wedge for me and it still rolls at least into the fringe at least half the time.  So I hit my first ball a little too hard and it sails into the trees OB.  Tee up another ball and land it on the correct side of the ridge and watch it roll down into the hole.  My best par of all time.

We had one like that at the local course in CT I used to play.  ~110 yards but tee was 60-70 feet above the pin so judging distance was always a challenge and there was trouble everywhere except right in the middle of the narrow green.

A few holes later on the same course was a similar set up with an elevated tee and 180 over water but with a huge, flat green so usually much less trouble.

17 hours ago, eball said:

Mine came yesterday.  Playing the 480-yard Par 5 18th at a local course I hit a nice drive down the right side of the fairway that left me about 210 yards from the flag.  You could only see the top half of the flagstick because of the elevation change on the hole, but I hit my 2-hybrid and it looked pretty good.

As our foursome drove up to the green we only saw three balls...figured mine must have gone over.  One of my companions said "check the hole" and I scoffed.  Then came the most amazing feeling I've ever had on a golf course, as I walked up and peeked into the hole to see my ball.  A double eagle 2!  The rarest of birds.

Sorry for the LAMP but I'm still giddy.  The odds of making a double eagle are roughly 1M-to-one, compared with the roughly 13,000-to-one odds of making a hole-in-one.

Congrats!

I hit a 5 wood up a pretty big hill in a boys district golf championship tournament at Elma Meadows when I was 13, couldn't see the green but the shot looked good. Got to the top and we couldn't find my ball. I was looking in the heavier grass off the back of the green when one of the guys found it in the hole. My first eagle. 

I eagled the 1rst hole in the boys championship at Bethlehem Management Club in Hamburg when I was 13 or 14, a 380 yd par 4 from the whites. I ended up taking 2nd in the tournament. Days after the fact another kid told me the winner who wasn't in my group cheated on the last hole. He lost his ball in the deep rough and then dropped one further up near the edge of the fairway without even taking a penalty. I lost by one stroke. The word got around that he cheated. I was already over it though and didn't file any protest or grievance. The club is now called Brierwood.

My best shot as an adult was when I drove the green on a 320 yd dogleg left in Park City Utah by hitting a huge drive over a tall stand of trees just missing the water to the left front of the green, ending about 8 to 10 feet from the pin. I sank the put for an eagle 2 and shot a 1 over 37 for nine that day.

I've hardly played in the last 25 years, only once every couple years when I see my brother.  I still hit it pretty straight when I do but not nearly as far. I like to swing a club in the yard once in a while. Used to love playing golf, maybe I will get my clubs out and hit some balls. 

• Like (+1) 1

I got an ace on a 140 yard uphill par 3. I hit what looked like a ***** shot line drive off the tee that drove hard into the hill and it looked like my ball would have gone way past the hole as it skipped to the green. Because of the invisible green, we could not see the actual hole. Went up and everyone sees their ball but time. One guy jokes that I should check the hole. Sure enough. Probably hit the stick hard and dropped in.  Bummer I didn’t get to see it go in. 

It was not my “best” shot but it was my best result. 

And for you avid golfers, I never play golf. Maybe once a year now and at my max before kids, not more than 3 times. Total luck. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

Great topic and congrats!!

I have a few that jump out but one hole really sticks out because it was back-to-back. It was the 2nd hole at Tan Tara, a 531 yard par 5. Ironically, my birthday is 5/31. Anyways, I hit my tee shot down there just over 300 yards leaving me about 225 from the hole. I hit a hybrid in that bounced up, hit the stick and landed about 2 inches from the hole for a tap in eagle. 

Ive never had a double eagle or a hole-in-one. I’ve holed out a couple of times and have pitched/chipped in a bunch. I also hit a 70 foot putt last year which was pretty wild. With that being said though that par 5 has stuck with me the most and it was probably 15-17 years ago. 

I have played in a group with an ace once and that was the coolest thing that I’ve experienced while playing. 

Got 2:

• 156 yard par 3, 2nd shot pitch from about 40 yards, out of the rough and over a trap - hit flag stick and dropped in
  • 95 yard hole on an executive course, tee shot to within 8 inches of the cup

This one's not a particular shot, just something I always got a kick out of.  Back when I was in college, one summer I set a personal goal of birdieing (is that how you would spell it?) every hole on the course.  I played a ton that year.  I'd go out early in the morning and walk 36 holes 3 times a week.  Anyway, I wound up missing out on that goal by a single hole.  So what did I do in my very first round the following year?  Birdied that hole.

That same year, I was out by myself late in the day.  My mother played in a women's league one day a week, and I'd go with her and then speed around the whole course while it was mostly empty.  It started to rain around maybe the 12th hole.  For whatever reason, I always liked playing in the rain.  I liked the extra challenge of keeping clubs, gloves, and hands dry between shots.  A couple more hole in, I birdied the 17th hole to pull to -1 for the day, something completely unheard of for me.  On the 18th, I sent my drive right down the middle.  Then the lightning siren went off.  It was late enough and very clear that the storm was going to be there for the night, so I never got to finish that last hole.  That would have been the only time in my life I broke par.

And then there was the time I passed out at the bar after drinking a single beer...

as one gets very good in this game you have to rely on your group to watch your shot, especially as the sun is in your eyes in the fall on most shots

when you can rip it with a 2 iron from the fairway you are hitting it further than you can personally rely on for tracking

My one and only HOLE IN ONE :)

It was 4th of July and I went back home to visit friends and family and did not have my clubs with me. My friend and his family had a tradition playing this little 9 hole par 3 course every 4th and getting drunk so I tagged along but didn't play.  They play it twice for 18 holes.  I showed up after they started first few holes so that's why I didn't play.  But ended up playing the second 9 and just played out his moms club bag as she had mens clubs anyway.  

Second hole hit a 112 yard hole in on with a PW.  None of us knew it actually, was a great shot but we didn't really pay attention to the end of it as we were all just having a good time.  Then when we got to the green we couldn't see my ball and I was only one who hit the green.  As we got closer and there was no ball we started getting excited and sure enough it was in the bottom of the cup baby!   

Crap part was the golf course had just used their last polaroid earlier in the day so they couldn't take my picture and put it on the wall hahahaha...bastards.  But I still have the ball and score card in a frame.  Came within 6 inches of a 2nd hole in one on a 109 yard par 3 like 4 holes later lol.  

I’ve holed out from like 85 yards before, unfortunately for par ??‍♂️.... Had an incredible long, twisty birdie putt that stands out a couple years ago but those are just luck. Unfortunately don’t have any aces or great eagle stories but I have made a lot of really awesome recovery shots and difficult shots around the green that did exactly what I envisioned them doing and looked like a pro doing it. On vacation this week in Hilton head and had one of those the other day. Good drive, then threw a dart with my 60 deg over a bunker with a little backspin then sunk the 8 ft birdie putt. For me anytime I can actually put a hole like that together, I’m happy. 

I crushed a drive on a par 5 at the course we belonged to (and played quite a bit). Hit it perfectly, probably had a little wind, firm fairways with a great roll. A mere mortal needs to lie up on the next shot due to a lake protecting the green. As I stood over that ball I thought.....”I think I can make that green from here.” Sure enough, I hit another perfect shot leaving me a 10-15 footer for eagle. I missed it of course, but I got a rare birdie on that hole. Here’s the worst part.....I never again layed up on the hole. I went for it every single time. And it went in the lake.....every single time. 

On a related note, it hurts me when I watch Tin Cup. 

Edited by Augie

3 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

For sale:  Previously enjoyed golf balls.  Newly washed.  Contact Diver Dan, 555-4567.

I was just returning them to their home. I buy used Bridgestone balls like 80 at a time on the internet. I can afford to get too emotional attached to any one golf ball, it’s usually a brief relationship! 

My sister dated a guy who would take his scuba gear to one of the nicer country clubs in WNY so he could gather balls while going mostly unnoticed. Very eneterprising guy! 

I'm not sure if this qualifies, but once I was playing a round at Hickory Stick in Lewiston with three buddies and two women were playing a hole behind us.. One teed off and watched in horror as her ball headed directly toward us. The ball hit me. I immediately clasped my hands together at my groin, fell to the ground and proceeded to roll around in agony.

The woman rushed down to me, and immediately began to apologize. “Please allow me to help. I’m a physical therapist and I know I could relieve your pain if you’d allow me,” she told me

“Oh, no, I’ll be all right. I’ll be fine in a few minutes,” I replied.

It was obvious that I was in agony, lying in the fetal position, still clasping my hands together at my groin.

The female golfer/therapist, her name turned out to be Linda, urged me to let her help me, so at her persistence, I finally allowed her to help.

She gently took my hands away and laid them at my side, loosened my pants and put her hands inside. She administered tender and artful massage to my privates for several long moments and then asked, “How does that feel”?

I replied, “That feels great, but my thumb still hurts like Hell!” 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

we were stuck behind a pair of old hags who wouldn't let us play through, for about 5 holes

when they were far enough out on the fairway my uncle called the shot and teed off and got the last bounce to hit one of the old hags in the calf, down she went and they let us play through

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I was just returning them to their home. I buy used Bridgestone balls like 80 at a time on the internet. I can afford to get too emotional attached to any one golf ball, it’s usually a brief relationship! 

My sister dated a guy who would take his scuba gear to one of the nicer country clubs in WNY so he could gather balls while going mostly unnoticed. Very eneterprising guy! 

I had over 200 practice balls in a shag bag when I was a 13 or 14 yr old kid. We would swim in the lake at night and there were so many balls you didn't need to see. It was about 8 to 10 feet deep in front of the green and we would just hold our breath and fill up mesh bags. I think it was the 11th hole at what is now Brierwood. The practice hole there was about 150 yds so I would hit 200 7 iron shots, go pick em up off the green, then move closer and hit 200 8 iron shots etc. 

For the rest of my life I was deadly from 150 yds in. 

I first started playing at Cazenovia and my friends and I would scour the creek for balls to replace the ones we lost. We were 10 to 13 yrs old. My dad got me a junior golf membership at Bethlehem (Brierwood) when I was good enough to not embarrass him and hack up the course. He made sure I was well versed in golf etiquette and fair play as well. Never told him about my diving for golf balls though.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I'm not sure if this qualifies, but once I was playing a round at Hickory Stick in Lewiston with three buddies and two women were playing a hole behind us.. One teed off and watched in horror as her ball headed directly toward us. The ball hit me. I immediately clasped my hands together at my groin, fell to the ground and proceeded to roll around in agony.

The woman rushed down to me, and immediately began to apologize. “Please allow me to help. I’m a physical therapist and I know I could relieve your pain if you’d allow me,” she told me

“Oh, no, I’ll be all right. I’ll be fine in a few minutes,” I replied.

It was obvious that I was in agony, lying in the fetal position, still clasping my hands together at my groin.

The female golfer/therapist, her name turned out to be Linda, urged me to let her help me, so at her persistence, I finally allowed her to help.

She gently took my hands away and laid them at my side, loosened my pants and put her hands inside. She administered tender and artful massage to my privates for several long moments and then asked, “How does that feel”?

I replied, “That feels great, but my thumb still hurts like Hell!” 

How very.......”Krafty” of you! 

• Haha (+1) 2

On 5/9/2019 at 10:37 AM, eball said:

Mine came yesterday.  Playing the 480-yard Par 5 18th at a local course I hit a nice drive down the right side of the fairway that left me about 210 yards from the flag.  You could only see the top half of the flagstick because of the elevation change on the hole, but I hit my 2-hybrid and it looked pretty good.

As our foursome drove up to the green we only saw three balls...figured mine must have gone over.  One of my companions said "check the hole" and I scoffed.  Then came the most amazing feeling I've ever had on a golf course, as I walked up and peeked into the hole to see my ball.  A double eagle 2!  The rarest of birds.

Sorry for the LAMP but I'm still giddy.  The odds of making a double eagle are roughly 1M-to-one, compared with the roughly 13,000-to-one odds of making a hole-in-one.

Congrats, that's amazing.Good way to end the round. How long do I get to collect my drink?

Had a hole-in-one in 2003 but that was a good miss. Was way more proud a week later when I birdied the #1 handicap at the same course, a 440 yard dogleg left par 4. 2 good shots and a good putt.