Long shot, Abraham Wallace

This kid is one of our UDFA, and I really like the way he gets through traffic to find the ball carrier. I think he’s a long shot to make the final roster, but I would not be surprised to see him on the practice squad, or being a special teamer.

Edited by MakeBuffaloGreatAgain
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

NFL Draft Diamonds Scouting Report: Abraham Wallace, DB, West Alabama by Brandon Davis

Name: Abraham Wallace

Height: 6’0”

Weight: 190 lbs.

Position: Nickel CB/Safety

Draft Class: 2019

College: West Alabama (2018), Texas Tech (2017), LSU (2014-2016)

Hometown: Baton Rouge, LA

Projected 40 Yd Dash: 4.48 secs.

High School: Dunham School

Games Watched: 2018 Highlights

2018 Stats (West Alabama): 12 GP, 60 Tackles, 7.5 TFL, 0.5 Sack, 1 FF, 2 INT, 1 QBH, 8 BRUP

2017 Stats (Texas Tech): 3 GP, 1 Tackle

2016 Stats (LSU): 7 GP, 1 Tackle

2015 Stats (LSU): No Stats

2014 Stats (LSU): DNP (Redshirted)

Positives: Good height & frame at DB with okay arm length. Shows good AA, decent footspeed, and competitiveness from both the Nickel CB & Safety positions. Displays good mental processing skills from the Nickel CB position &leverage to diagnose & fight through blocks to stop bubble screens &flare routes to the flats. Breaks on the ball well while in zone coverage against curls & crossing routes. Demonstrates some hand/eye coordination ability to haul in a tipped pass. Can provide run support from multiple spots,including the edge. Is quick in pursuit off the edge to stop HB Dives, and uses leverage to set the edge & stop off-tackle runs. Is alert & quick to run downhill from the Safety spot to fill gaps. Has okay wrap-up skills when tackling. Can also play as a gunner on punt coverage.

Negatives: Plays abit high in his back pedal, has stiff hips which limits his COD skills. Onlyshows marginal trail technique ability in man coverage. Can let a WR get behindhimwhile playing the Nickel CB position when defending the deep ball in man coverage. Tends to aim high near the neck/shoulders or down at a ball carrier’sfeet when tackling despite his wrap-up skills.

Summary: A participant on special teams at LSU under Ed Orgeron & at Texas Tech under then head coach Kliff Kingsbury before being a starter in 2018 at West Alabama under head coach Brett Gilliland & defensive coordinator Steve Sisa. Was used in multiple position in West Alabama’s 4-2-5 scheme. Wallace relies on mental processing, quickness, and pursuit skills to make plays in zone coverage & against the run, but plays with a high back pedal and stiff hips. Can be a liability against speed WR’s in man coverage from the Nickel CB position. Will be a good contributor on special teams while improving his man coverage & COD skills as a Nickel CB

• Like (+1) 1

in McDs D he looks like a Nickel CB to compete with Taron Johnson.  Really brings it for his size.  Agree he could be a good PS player as only 1 year playing as starter on D at any NCAA team.  

Weren't Kliff Kingsbury's defenses at TT really bad?  I know the offenses he had at TT were really good, but he had limited success, so that kind of implies that the defense was really bad.  I don't know.  But either way, he transferred to a D2 school after not starting at TT.  If he was having issues at TT and transferred to West Alabama in order to start, I would be surprised to see him succeed in the NFL.  I really don't know much about him or his reasons for transferring, so if I'm off basis feel free to correct me

31 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

Weren't Kliff Kingsbury's defenses at TT really bad?  I know the offenses he had at TT were really good, but he had limited success, so that kind of implies that the defense was really bad.  I don't know.  But either way, he transferred to a D2 school after not starting at TT.  If he was having issues at TT and transferred to West Alabama in order to start, I would be surprised to see him succeed in the NFL.  I really don't know much about him or his reasons for transferring, so if I'm off basis feel free to correct me

I honestly don't know anything about this kid...but, NFL players come from everywhere, I wouldn't discredit him or count him out because he transferred to West Alabama.

Malcolm Butler went to West Alabama...so did Tyreek Hill, Deon Lacey, Seth Roberts and Dee Virgin.

• Like (+1) 3

I have nothing against him but I am against risk.  Cutting Levi Wallace by accident because someone fills out the paperwork wrong isn't something I want to see.  They either need to have this kid change his name or tell him to just forget it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/9/2019 at 10:05 AM, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

NFL Draft Diamonds Scouting Report: Abraham Wallace, DB, West Alabama by Brandon Davis

Name: Abraham Wallace

Height: 6’0”

Weight: 190 lbs.

Position: Nickel CB/Safety

Draft Class: 2019

College: West Alabama (2018), Texas Tech (2017), LSU (2014-2016)

Hometown: Baton Rouge, LA

Projected 40 Yd Dash: 4.48 secs.

High School: Dunham School

Games Watched: 2018 Highlights

2018 Stats (West Alabama): 12 GP, 60 Tackles, 7.5 TFL, 0.5 Sack, 1 FF, 2 INT, 1 QBH, 8 BRUP

2017 Stats (Texas Tech): 3 GP, 1 Tackle

2016 Stats (LSU): 7 GP, 1 Tackle

2015 Stats (LSU): No Stats

2014 Stats (LSU): DNP (Redshirted)

Positives: Good height & frame at DB with okay arm length. Shows good AA, decent footspeed, and competitiveness from both the Nickel CB & Safety positions. Displays good mental processing skills from the Nickel CB position &leverage to diagnose & fight through blocks to stop bubble screens &flare routes to the flats. Breaks on the ball well while in zone coverage against curls & crossing routes. Demonstrates some hand/eye coordination ability to haul in a tipped pass. Can provide run support from multiple spots,including the edge. Is quick in pursuit off the edge to stop HB Dives, and uses leverage to set the edge & stop off-tackle runs. Is alert & quick to run downhill from the Safety spot to fill gaps. Has okay wrap-up skills when tackling. Can also play as a gunner on punt coverage.

Negatives: Plays abit high in his back pedal, has stiff hips which limits his COD skills. Onlyshows marginal trail technique ability in man coverage. Can let a WR get behindhimwhile playing the Nickel CB position when defending the deep ball in man coverage. Tends to aim high near the neck/shoulders or down at a ball carrier’sfeet when tackling despite his wrap-up skills.

Summary: A participant on special teams at LSU under Ed Orgeron & at Texas Tech under then head coach Kliff Kingsbury before being a starter in 2018 at West Alabama under head coach Brett Gilliland & defensive coordinator Steve Sisa. Was used in multiple position in West Alabama’s 4-2-5 scheme. Wallace relies on mental processing, quickness, and pursuit skills to make plays in zone coverage & against the run, but plays with a high back pedal and stiff hips. Can be a liability against speed WR’s in man coverage from the Nickel CB position. Will be a good contributor on special teams while improving his man coverage & COD skills as a Nickel CB

As per NFLDraftScout, he actually measure in at 5'10 1/4 and ran a 4.53 at his pro day, still within the parameters of an NFL DB, but not quite as impressive.

• 2 months later...

Abraham Wallace and this thread are getting their second chances.  Average size (a hair over 5' 10" at his pro day).  Average speed, but the Bills obviously like something about him.

Edited by TigerJ

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2019 at 10:14 AM, berg1029 said:

He  didn't start playing football until his Jr year of high school. Walked on at LSU and red shirted his freshman year. Graduated in 3 years from LSU and transferred to TT with 2 yrs of eligibility left in hopes of getting some real playing time. He went to the school in Alabama with one year of eligibility left and had a great season! I know he and his family personally and he's really something special.  He works so hard and is so humble and respectful.  He's determined and he's the kind of person that will be successful in whatever he puts his mind to because his mental strength is so strong.  He's the kid that you really want to root for because he just deserves it. He never gave up on himself, he has his priorities in check, he's not wild and crazy, his parents are amazing! He's gonna be good for the league and a great role model for many. Btw, he had 7 tackles in the last game too, so he can also play football!