In the wake of Ziggy to Seattle - What does Beane do now?

6 hours ago, TigerJ said:

He's got a couple of vacant roster spots.  Is there a veteran free agent really worth bringing on board at this point, or does he look for somebody else to fill a spot?  Is there anything out there at this point that isn't garbage?

You do know Beane is paying Murphy nearly 9 million this year.

Are you doubting that move?

Ziggy is a better quitar player anyway...

Relying on Trent Murphy is one dangerous proposition.

Lawson's game has improved, but we all doubt that he will ever be anything in terms of a pass rusher.

The organization does like Mike Love, but who the heck knows what he will become if he even makes it.

Yarborough is nothing more than a role player.

Hopefully some options break open for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

You do know Beane is paying Murphy nearly 9 million this year.

Are you doubting that move?

Ziggy is a better quitar player anyway...

If Buffalo were to fill a roster spot, it doesn't have to be an edge rusher.  And I'm pretty sure Beane also knows Trent Murphy is under con tract.

11 hours ago, TigerJ said:

He's got a couple of vacant roster spots.  Is there a veteran free agent really worth bringing on board at this point, or does he look for somebody else to fill a spot?  Is there anything out there at this point that isn't garbage?

Pretty good article outlining some possibilities here:
https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/05/buffalo-bills-lose-out-on-defensive-end-ziggy-ansah-4-options-for-team.html

Shane Ray makes me seriously nervous with that wrist.  Maybe it's fixed for-real, but 4 surgeries on the same ligament has to make ya worry.

Of the options outlined above, Nick Perry seems like the best shot, unless they really get a good medical on Ray.

4 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

We need a pro bowl calibre DE to compete effectively in the AFC East. Someone healthy and productive...not has beens and the chronically injured. 

I need a pony

Seriously .... sure that's a piece we need on our team, but what's your suggestion of how to obtain that thing?  All-pro DEs are not typically wandering the streets handing out resumes or working at Planet Fitness while waiting for That Call

Good article, Hapless.  The Bills could indeed wait it out as far as bringing in another pass rusher. The Bills could certainly do that even if they filled the remaining roster spots for training camp.  Personally, I'll be a bit surprised if the Bills fork out the bucks for Clowney, but you never know.  Perry and Ray are interesting options to me.

11 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

There will be cap casualties and camp cuts. We'll see if anyone shakes free that could help our roster. On the bright side we can bid big if a player who is worth it shakes free, or jump on a trade if a player and team are far apart. Lots of options at this point.

This! 

Trade for Jadeveon Clowney! This only makes sense if the Bills think that they are this one player away from the playoffs...are they? Probably not as teams usually make strides incrementally and at 6-10 they could go 8-8 to 10-6. Which means that while they may make the playoffs I doubt they contend for a super bowl in 2019. QB too raw, not convinced O line is going to be dominant just yet and same with receiver corps, TE, WR. 

With the offensive roster just about set, I see the need for pass rusher, stud to help stop the run. First choice Clowney, second, third choices Nick Perry or Shane Ray at DE over Murphy. The Bills could make a move for Gerald McCoy who would be expensive but make a bigger impact over star who just eats blockers.

Clowney, if he stays healthy could be the difference maker the Bills are looking for to make that jump to #1 overall defense in the NFL. Is he worth next years 1st?

11 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

i think we stand pat and kick shaq inside with oliver on passing downs. play murphy / lorax / love and the rookie d. johnson to rush the passer. we will be fine.

we need to blitz more. seems like every single time we did last year, we got a sack.

I would love to see them blitz more, but it's not McDermott's(and to a greater extent Frazier's) M.O. They will likely continue to rely on the front four to get pressure, which is why I'd like to see them go after Clowney. We were near the bottom of the league in sacks last season, and while Oliver will help, is it enough? Pass rush is the most important defensive category. If we're gonna allocate resources to a big money defensive player, I want a guy who gets sacks.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I’d say there’s three “types” of options.

1. The big Splash- Go after Clowney. I don’t think they’d use a 1st, but they’d do something around a 2nd + Lawson or something like that.

*Chance of Happening* = 10%

2. Current UFA- go after one of the flawed guys available. Michael Johnson, Shane Ray, etc. 

*Chance of Happening* = 40%

3. Wait for Cuts- between June and August there will be some decent players cut. Whether for age, cap space, or not a fit with a new coaching staff, good players get cut almost every off-season. 

*Chance of Happening* = 50%

Here's another:

Julius Peppers.

Stay in touch with him like they did with Derek Anderson...........and maybe Peppers gets tired of hangin' around the house at the end of August.

Shane Ray is the most obvious move. Still young, still a lot of upside. He has a ton of speed, a super quick first step and plays with a motor. The dude can play. If his wrist is okay, I could envision him actually replacing Jerry down the line. I think Ray would be a great fit in our scheme, and all the places he's visited, Ravens, Seattle, Raiders, all either signed or drafted edge players, so his market may be a bit dry. I'm not sure if he got in Vance Joseph's doghouse or what, but he really didn't get the same opportunities he got a few years atom when he had a bunch of sacks. Ray can get to the quarterback and adds a good amount of speed and athleticism to the defensive line room.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I need a pony

Seriously .... sure that's a piece we need on our team, but what's your suggestion of how to obtain that thing?  All-pro DEs are not typically wandering the streets handing out resumes or working at Planet Fitness while waiting for That Call

You need a pony but rocket needs a unicorn,  ponies are possible.  Maybe just some bleach to clean that green skin.

On 5/9/2019 at 9:17 AM, TigerJ said:

It is so easy to CREATE MORE roster spots this time of year. It's not an issue

On 5/9/2019 at 4:17 PM, TigerJ said:

I say stand pat and see what Shaq, Murphy & Eli have to offer. With the addition of Oliver it should open things up for left DE. 

On 5/10/2019 at 12:01 PM, GreggTX said:

We go with Murphy/Shaq at LE and Hughes/Harold at RE. Darryl Johnson on the PS. That's my guess. Next year they go all in for both DE positions.

Why both ends Hughes is one of the best in the league we can at least franchise him and if we don't like his price that he's demanding we can at least trade him.  If we can sign 36yr old RBS we can keep 31yr old DEs . Especially if Hughes has the type of yr he just had.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/9/2019 at 9:17 PM, Limeaid said:

You need a pony but rocket needs a unicorn,  ponies are possible.  Maybe just some bleach to clean that green skin.

Ha! I agree...just wishful thinking on my part. Yes, there is a rarity of good DE's. So easy to just pencil players in to the line up

Edited by Rocket94