In the wake of Ziggy to Seattle - What does Beane do now?

He's got a couple of vacant roster spots.  Is there a veteran free agent really worth bringing on board at this point, or does he look for somebody else to fill a spot?  Is there anything out there at this point that isn't garbage?

There will be cap casualties and camp cuts. We'll see if anyone shakes free that could help our roster. On the bright side we can bid big if a player who is worth it shakes free, or jump on a trade if a player and team are far apart. Lots of options at this point.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not sure how a 1 year deal would have worked w/ Ansah?  Was he going to be a full time starter opposite Hughes?  He would be part of a rotation and at the end of the season, there would be a distribution of sacks across several players, plus DTs.  I'm not sure any of them will get more than 10 sacks, though its possible the D as a whole will be quite successful getting to QBs

36 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

There will be cap casualties and camp cuts. We'll see if anyone shakes free that could help our roster. On the bright side we can bid big if a player who is worth it shakes free, or jump on a trade if a player and team are far apart. Lots of options at this point.

Yes there are a few stud players at positions where the Bills have need who are not contractually satisfied at the moment so things could happen.

Julio Jones and Jadeveon Clowney are the ones most discussed but there could be more.     

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Suh?

Doesn’t make a ton of sense, he’s only going to take snaps away from our younger guys the Phillips’ and Oliver. Not to mention he only shows up 3-4 games a year 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

i think we stand pat and kick shaq inside with oliver on passing downs. play murphy / lorax / love and the rookie d. johnson to rush the passer. we will be fine.

we need to blitz more. seems like every single time we did last year, we got a sack.

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

This, good post

• Like (+1) 3

Unless there is a surprise cut or trade, I don't see us adding anyone else that will get significant DE reps.

It's pretty clear Beane wanted to add another pass rusher to the mix this offseason.  But there just weren't a lot of good free agent options on the market (almost every top DE was franchised), and we didn't have enough early draft resources to address everything.  Considering we went into March with needs at four different OL positions, WR, TE, RB, DE, DT and CB... I think we can still consider the offseason a resounding success.

In my opinion, our defense was Top 5 after the bye.  The only player we lost was Kyle Williams (who wasn't quite the same player anyway), and he was replaced with Ed Oliver.  We added more depth at Cornerback, which should make our secondary even more consistent.  It would have been nice to add a fierce edge rusher, but I think we'll be OK with the same rotation from last year.  At the least, our defense should be the same as in 2018.

The key to adding wins to our 6-10 record is the improvement of Josh Allen and the offense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If he's sold on Clowney, he could make the big move, as he's shown he isn't afraid to attempt them ... otherwise, you see if anything shakes loose during camp cuts.  If not, you dance with who brung ya, and make edge rusher a TOP priority in next years FA/draft.  This team isn't a real contender yet anyway, but in a year, if everything shakes out, they could be in the mix

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

He's got a couple of vacant roster spots.  Is there a veteran free agent really worth bringing on board at this point, or does he look for somebody else to fill a spot?  Is there anything out there at this point that isn't garbage?

fold up shop.  It's over. Ziggy was the only piece that could make us a championship team.

oh well

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/available/

Here is a list of unsigned FAs.  It is very uninspiring after the first 4 names - and they don’t seem like fits for the Bills. 

a lot of decent/good players but all 30 or older. i'm really hoping trent murphy is the comeback player of the year.

wyatt teller will be our spot secret weapon on the dline. (ie.) short yardage/goaline situations. you heard it here first.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 1