“Retired” TE Ben Watson considering Bills among other teams,****SIGNED WITH PATS

Ben Watson is, arguably, the best locker room presence in the NFL. He has been a finalist for the Walter Payton Man of the Year twice (3 guys are finalists each year in the entire league). He has one of the highest wonderlic scores a player has ever had at 48 (tied with Ryan Fitzpatrick). He’s caught 96 balls for 922 yards and 6 TDs over the last 2 years. How could anyone object to this guy coming into the locker room for a year or 2?  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1126448420481327109?s=21

@adamschefter

Former Saints’ TE Benjamin Watson, who had intended to retire, is in New England today visiting with the Patriots, per source. Watson also is considering the Chiefs, Bills and 49ers. His retirement didn’t last long.

sign him just to keep him away from the Pats. Otherwise prefer to see what Kroft, Knox, Fisher, Croom and Sweeney can do.

1 minute ago, teef said:

god i hope he signs and retires at halftime.

With a planned ceremony and the blessing of the team or in a spur of the moment hissy fit?

27 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ben Watson is, arguably, the best locker room presence in the NFL. He has been a finalist for the Walter Payton Man of the Year twice (3 guys are finalists each year in the entire league). He has one of the highest wonderlic scores a player has ever had at 48 (tied with Ryan Fitzpatrick). He’s caught 96 balls for 922 yards and 6 TDs over the last 2 years. How could anyone object to this guy coming into the locker room for a year or 2?  

Because Croom. Or something. 

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Because Croom. Or something. 

I do think that there are places he fits better like NE, KC, Rams, Saints, Browns and maybe even someone like the Texans. Watson is still productive (although not as productive as 5 years ago). He is a “can’t miss” vet presence that any team could use. From his standpoint though, I’m not sure he should go to ANY team that isn’t a Super Bowl contender at age 38 or 39 or whatever he is. 

1 hour ago, ukbuffalo said:

Just don’t know he fits in this roster. Do we cut croom and have watson mentor Knox and sweeney 

You keep the best players on the roster. Would probably be Kroft Watson Knox and Croom. Croom and Knox are the Flex TEs and Kroft and Watson are your in line TEs. Sweeney to the PS 

• Like (+1) 1

I’d certainly love to have him around our young guys. Naturally, it’s up to the FO to decide what he has left in the tank. He will be 39 in December. It’s easier for QB’s to play “at that advanced age”. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Id rather see what Knox, Croom, Sweeney, etc can do than sign a 1 year guy who's 38/39.

Makes more sense for the Pats than for us. 

I agree, but one of Beane's traits here is trying to have an established vet with every position group. Right now the longest tenured tight end is Tyler Kroft with four years under his belt. Jake Fisher is converting from tackle, Croom is in year two and Knox/Sweeney are the rookies. 

Does anyone else get the sense that they might roll with four TE's this season?

4 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I agree, but one of Beane's traits here is trying to have an established vet with every position group. Right now the longest tenured tight end is Tyler Kroft with four years under his belt. Jake Fisher is converting from tackle, Croom is in year two and Knox/Sweeney are the rookies. 

Does anyone else get the sense that they might roll with four TE's this season?

They've rolled with 4 TEs in past years so it's not unlikely, the key though is the last few guys need to play ST and think Croom and Sweeney could yet not sure about about Fisher or would want to risk Kroft or Knox.