“Retired” TE Ben Watson considering Bills among other teams,****SIGNED WITH PATS

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

Actually I erred.  That season was 4 years ago.  I forgot that he got injured and had to miss the following season.   And it was obviously an outlier and you're not really "in your prime" at at 34 when you're a TE. 

As for his production that past 2 years compared to the Bills' TE's, big deal.  At his age things are trending downward.  I'd rather see what the younger guys can do. 

I’ll agree he’s far past his prime. Still a productive guy though. Hard worker, locker room leader and gets the job done. Bound to hit a wall sooner than later but would have no problem with him as the 3rd.it gets tossed around a lot but he’s actually the type that’s great to have around a couple young guys if we have 2 rookies on the roster/PS

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Doc said:

Actually I erred.  That season was 4 years ago.  I forgot that he got injured and had to miss the following season.   And it was obviously an outlier and you're not really "in your prime" at at 34 when you're a TE. 

As for his production that past 2 years compared to the Bills' TE's, big deal.  At his age things are trending downward.  I'd rather see what the younger guys can do. 

Doc....922 yards the past 2 years.  96 catches.  Last year almost 9 yards per target.  He can only catch the balls thrown his way and he caught 77% of them the past 2 seasons. That's productive. 

A 34 yo TE can't be in his prime?  Tony Gonzalez, Jason Witten, Antonio Gates.....they would disagree with you.

The "younger guys" include 2 nonproductive veterans, 2 rookies and busted out )-lineman who the Bills think is now an NFL TE.

32 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I’ll agree he’s far past his prime. Still a productive guy though. Hard worker, locker room leader and gets the job done. Bound to hit a wall sooner than later but would have no problem with him as the 3rd.it gets tossed around a lot but he’s actually the type that’s great to have around a couple young guys if we have 2 rookies on the roster/PS

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Doc....922 yards the past 2 years.  96 catches.  Last year almost 9 yards per target.  He can only catch the balls thrown his way and he caught 77% of them the past 2 seasons. That's productive. 

A 34 yo TE can't be in his prime?  Tony Gonzalez, Jason Witten, Antonio Gates.....they would disagree with you.

The "younger guys" include 2 nonproductive veterans, 2 rookies and busted out )-lineman who the Bills think is now an NFL TE.

Veteran presence is about the only reason I'd consider adding him.  Again his last season was 400 yards and 2 TD's (that would be like saying Shady has 1,652 yards the past 2 seasons or 2,919 yards the past 3 seasons) and he's on the back-end of 38 years old.  But at this point, might as well stop adding old guys and get younger.

4 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Younger at TE is good but older at RB is better. Ahhhh man some of you guys are going to twist yourselves into a pretzel if this thing goes sideways. 

Not sure if this was aimed at me, but I was scratching my head at the addition of Gore.  And Shady was already on the roster.

51 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

More power to you dude.  You're a fan, so cool.  But at least be honest in acknowledging you'd be mocking Watson if the Bills picked him up and extolling the virtues of Sefarian-Jenkins and what he will do for you guys.

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

Veteran presence is about the only reason I'd consider adding him.  Again his last season was 400 yards and 2 TD's (that would be like saying Shady has 1,652 yards the past 2 seasons or 2,919 yards the past 3 seasons) and he's on the back-end of 38 years old.  But at this point, might as well stop adding old guys and get younger.

Which would be fine stats for shady on a cheap deal as a backup. And Watson would be a cheap deal. All about context.

hes reliable, good hands, but certainly not at his peak currently

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Which would be fine stats for shady on a cheap deal as a backup. And Watson would be a cheap deal. All about context.

hes reliable, good hands, but certainly not at his peak currently

That's the point/context.  At Watson's age, odds are he's only going to get worse.  Shady may be able to rebound with a better OL, but he's already on the roster and costs $2.5M to cut.

On 5/9/2019 at 12:11 PM, Logic said:

I'm a big old optimistic homer, but I don't understand why the Bills would have any interest in this dude.

Kroft, Knox, Croom, Sweeney, Fisher. That's plenty.

Watching Murph and Brown right now....Chris said Knox had a tough day with several dropped balls.

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

It’s been posted several times that he signed with NE. I can’t update the thread title because it got merged with another thread and only that poster can do it. It says he started the thread but it has my thread title, not sure how.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s been posted several times that he signed with NE. I can’t update the thread title because it got merged with another thread and only that poster can do it. It says he started the thread but it has my thread title, not sure how.

There you go my good man

The arguements being made here about Watson's value are actually pretty funny.  This is a desperation move by the Pats.  No way the Bills should have signed him, at any price.  

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

Watching Murph and Brown right now....Chris said Knox had a tough day with several dropped balls.

Now we are counting receptions in rookie mini camp?  Seriously?  

54 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

so much is missed after being buried in a thread but they're pretty hell bent about starting a thread so I generally just throw it in a thread, if it's seen, good, if not, oh well.

thanks for all you do in keeping the board up to date.

20 minutes ago, FLFan said:

The arguements being made here about Watson's value are actually pretty funny.  This is a desperation move by the Pats.  No way the Bills should have signed him, at any price.  

FL...to be honest both ,Brown and Murph sounded a bit irked about him not signing.You should go back and listen..it's archived on GR.

If you have a beef with the hosts..they are just a e-mail away from contact.

Regardless..Chris Brown is not a BS thrower..if he said Knof was a poor show today... that was his opinion about TODAY!

30 minutes ago, FLFan said:

...maybe he gets the 1st "TBD BUST" label......it's been awhile since the draft ..........

5 hours ago, Doc said:

That's the point/context.  At Watson's age, odds are he's only going to get worse.  Shady may be able to rebound with a better OL, but he's already on the roster and costs $2.5M to cut.

The context is there is no "McCoy" currently on the roster at TE.  Just a bunch of (younger) nobodies.  

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The context is there is no "McCoy" currently on the roster at TE.  Just a bunch of (younger) nobodies.  

Who are worth developing, not sitting at the expense of a guy who is 38 and retired, and is coming off 2 straight years of declining production.