Seahawks sign Ansah

40 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

i want a sack inflated system.  how do i get that?

Tom Brady had some intel on that, but he "accidentally" threw his phone in a toilet... it's a travesty. 

7 minutes ago, scribo said:

Anyone remember how pissed this board got when Shaq pretty much was useless his whole first year, due to a... wait for it... wait for it... shoulder injury? And you all wanted Ansah on a 1-year? Those who did either have really short memories, are newbz to the board, or a straight up trolls. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Completely different situation. 

Ziggy isnt our first round draft picks , he is essentially depth and an added piece to a lacking DE rotation. What's the downside? Cap space that they have plenty of and maybe they wait a month or so for him to play? 

The upside outweighs the downside big time. 

Not a huge deal but would've been nice to have this guy and hopefully it wasn't a case of them being conservative with all that cap space. 

You're right about the context being different, but the face of it (i.e. Bills fans complaining about a DE with an injured shoulder that we spent resources on), I would argue, is the same. 

I mean, I'm just saying that we shouldn't complain about not getting Ansah because we've been through a similar situation before with a player we invested in. Ansah may not be the answer, here or in Seattle. Time will tell, though. 

9 hours ago, Logic said:

Bills did nothing but sign mediocre free agents,  other than the center there was really nothing to get excited about.  You win games in this league because of match ups and having guys who can make huge plays.  I don't see any of that and their draft was not much better other than first round pick, i thought with our record we really need to sign 2-3 big time players.  The DE Murphy who Beane signed last season is a classic example of the types of players Beane is bringing to Buffalo.  Guys who come here because they don't have many other options.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Answer to what? 

Ziggy is a good pass rusher who typically doesn't stay healthy, but while he's healthy he is productive. 

Again, if it's about money I would've paid him a little more than what Seattle paid him simply because we have loads of cap and if nothing else the guy will help a lot where this team lacks in rushing the passer. 

Doubt it was about $$. My educated guess is they maybe found out more about his bum shoulder and decided to pass. Which I agree with

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm sure it played a part.

Guess they didn't think the risk was worth it.... but again the downside is simply cap space which they have plenty of. That's literally the only downside. 

They do have plenty of cap, but cap rolls over too. He knew how much he was willing to risk on the shoulder and stood by it imo. Stay flexible, maybe grab some camp/cap casualties.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

29 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Bills did nothing but sign mediocre free agents,  other than the center there was really nothing to get excited about.  You win games in this league because of match ups and having guys who can make huge plays.  I don't see any of that and their draft was not much better other than first round pick, i thought with our record we really need to sign 2-3 big time players.  The DE Murphy who Beane signed last season is a classic example of the types of players Beane is bringing to Buffalo.  Guys who come here because they don't have many other options.  

I totally agree. Beane has not demonstrated he can close the deal on any type of player beyond mediocre without over paying.

I am a Murphy fan and I believe he can get you 8-10 sacks when healthy. With that being said I will still be excited as I am always at the beginning of the season. Waiting to see the rookies.

Edited by VADC Bills

I love how judicious Beane is.  Beane and Overdorf will not overpay.  They already got burned with Murphy's contract.  Ansah might miss the first month of season.  That is not a risk I want to take.  August is a long time away.  I'm sure Beane has a plan B after Ansah

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Some of those mediocre guys are better than the bad players they'll replace.

The others are good depth guys.  

Overall, we're going to field a better squad this year than last.   And we're still looking at roughly $80 million in cap space in 2020.   Watching Beane work,  I've always thought 2020 was the year he'd field the team he really wants.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The risk is cap space. 

When you have around $30 million in June then there really is no risk. 

He's way too conservative in FA spending, IMO.

That's great if we have $30 million in June.   We can carry that over next year.  There will be cuts, and possibly trades.  $30 million gives us lots of buying power.

And who would you have signed?  Beane did a great job of filling our roster with quality player.  He signed 19 players!  Trust the process

• Like (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

The biggest spenders in free agency usually aren't the most successful teams.

32 minutes ago, VADC Bills said:

I totally agree. Beane has not demonstrated he can close the deal on any type of player beyond mediocre without over paying.

I am a Murphy fan and I believe he can get you 8-10 sacks when healthy. With that being said I will still be excited as I am always at the beginning of the season. Waiting to see the rookies.

Uh, that's because everyone else is over paying. He wants to build the team the right way, which is NOT in free agency. Once our team is more set and we are missing one or two pieces that would put us over the top, that's when you'll see some big names in free agency. We are nowhere near that point.

I actually think the cap room we can carry over is better than signing Ziggy.

I've never really like Ziggy and now he is 33, can't play till maybe October, and will be in a whole new system.  There are multiple players on this roster right now that will contribute what Ziggy does this year.

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

You must be a ball at parties.