Beane: Gore will push McCoy to be the starter

24 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Most rbs say they need a bunch of carries to get into a rhythm.  I mean depth is not a bad problem but no back is going to thrive switching in and out.  

I think this is going to work itself out

Our starting running backs are very old......and older they are the more they start to take on injuries....I am not hoping for injuries of course but I expect that at some point this next season we are going to be saying "well that ninja beane he was so smart he grabbed one of the top RB's int his last draft and so we are still fine"

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I think this is going to work itself out

Our starting running backs are very old......and older they are the more they start to take on injuries....I am not hoping for injuries of course but I expect that at some point this next season we are going to be saying "well that ninja beane he was so smart he grabbed one of the top RB's int his last draft and so we are still fine"

...didn't we get caught short last year?....injuries to Murphy and Jones...Shady's occasional hammy (NOT buying production fall off was SOLELY OL woes either) to where even the Ford kid got some work...Gore is an ageless beast....all in on pushing Shady for his 9 mil.....with Singletary lurking in da bushes.....

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Even though I feel Gore would've faired better behind that line because of his within the tackle running style, he still would've had a tough go of it. I think both him and Shady will thrive with the new and improved O line. 

I think 'thrive' is a bit of a reach, but I would expect our running game to improve from last season, not sure by how much though.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

The question

Why is Singletary added to a already crowded backfield.....

answer because more is better....I would rather have too many good backs then not enough

When you draft a running back in the 3rd round, the expectation is that he's going to be the long term starter. If Singletary is not that, it was a poor allocation of resources.

• Like (+1) 1

There is a case to be made that last year Ivory was more effective than McCoy because he hit the hole faster and harder while McCoy did a lot of dancing.  Gore (assuming he doesn't lose a step at his age) was also quite a bit better at that last year than McCoy.  As we can all agree, a big part of the problem was the OL and the upgrades there alone are a good reason to believe McCoy can have a bounce back season.  

But its not out of the question that if Gore is hitting the hole clean and getting through it and McCoy has still got happy feet behind the line and losing yards or gaining to few and leaving missed opportunities on tape that Gore could win the week 1 starting role.  

I still think McCoy is the favorite to be the week 1 starter though.  The bigger wildcard is Devin.  I have a feeling he is going to get a lot of time against 2's and 3's and will have a strong preseason because of it, putting pressure to get him more reps in the first unit.  If Devin starts fast, its going to be hard to keep him off the field, and with McCoy, Gore, and now Yeldon ahead of him to start camp, it won't surprise me to see one of them cut/traded to make room for Devin in the rotation.  

Barring injury there is no reasonable scenario that any of the backs beat out Shady for the starting role.

I just don't understand the anti-McCoy sentiment around here. They have literally changed 4 of the 5 OL and the TE. Shady was a good teammate taking the blame for his lack of production but the line was the worst in the NFL. 

Competition is great and Shady will respond positively. He wants to make HOF and he knows he needs 2500 yards or so make it. That means at least three good seasons of production.

I suspect by week 6, they will announce Shady has signed a two year extension.

I think Gore and Singletary will end up 1A and 1B. Yeldon will be last on the depth chart. I don't see Shady sticking around, I know my opinion pisses people off and I'm sorry about that, but the writing is on the wall. Shady is making way too much for what he does. Gore, Singletary and Yeldon is a effing nice stable of horses and cost less than Shady combined.

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There is a case to be made that last year Ivory was more effective than McCoy because he hit the hole faster and harder while McCoy did a lot of dancing.  Gore (assuming he doesn't lose a step at his age) was also quite a bit better at that last year than McCoy.  As we can all agree, a big part of the problem was the OL and the upgrades there alone are a good reason to believe McCoy can have a bounce back season.  

But its not out of the question that if Gore is hitting the hole clean and getting through it and McCoy has still got happy feet behind the line and losing yards or gaining to few and leaving missed opportunities on tape that Gore could win the week 1 starting role.  

I still think McCoy is the favorite to be the week 1 starter though.  The bigger wildcard is Devin.  I have a feeling he is going to get a lot of time against 2's and 3's and will have a strong preseason because of it, putting pressure to get him more reps in the first unit.  If Devin starts fast, its going to be hard to keep him off the field, and with McCoy, Gore, and now Yeldon ahead of him to start camp, it won't surprise me to see one of them cut/traded to make room for Devin in the rotation.  

Actually there isn't a case for that at all. Ivory smashed into the back of guards repeatedly for little to no gain. While that looks like he is running hard and giving great effort, it still doesn't produce any results. Shady was never that type of back in his career and it is folly to expect him to be any different.  

Beane and McDermott (still keeping my promise) have shown through their actions just the opposite - cutting Ivory and completely rebuilding the line. Gore is a great back to have around for Allen. Yeldon should help in the pass game.  I think Singletary was a waste of a pick but he is young and may provide some elusiveness that Gore and Yeldon won't.  I would have chosen TE and WR in third round instead of RB. But going with Singletary now gives the organization a year to evaluate him prior to the 2020 draft.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I think Gore and Singletary will end up 1A and 1B. Yeldon will be last on the depth chart. I don't see Shady sticking around, I know my opinion pisses people off and I'm sorry about that, but the writing is on the wall. Shady is making way too much for what he does. Gore, Singletary and Yeldon is a effing nice stable of horses and cost less than Shady combined.

They are still millions under the cap this year and next. What difference does salary make?