Beane: Gore will push McCoy to be the starter

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Barring injury there is no reasonable scenario that any of the backs beat out Shady for the starting role.

I just don't understand the anti-McCoy sentiment around here. They have literally changed 4 of the 5 OL and the TE. Shady was a good teammate taking the blame for his lack of production but the line was the worst in the NFL. 

Competition is great and Shady will respond positively. He wants to make HOF and he knows he needs 2500 yards or so make it. That means at least three good seasons of production.

I suspect by week 6, they will announce Shady has signed a two year extension.

You are living in denial with your overconfidence in McCoy.

He is a scatback who has produced below average ypc over his LAST 450 CARRIES.

It's not a small sample size...........he is not as explosive as he once was and that means those moves don't create space and missed tackles like they used to.

He's also constantly nagged by minor injuries as well.

The excuses made for McCoy the past couple of seasons are reminiscent of those made for Thurman Thomas from 1993-1997.     It was always 'well if the blocking was better" and "well if he could just fully heal from that nagging injury" he'd still be that league MVP running back.

It never happened of course and he lost a full ypc off his previous production peaks from earlier in his career.

Thurman may have been as good *sometimes* as he was but he couldn't sustain it over a season.    Unless Shady hits the HGH he's not turning back his RB clock.

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You are living in denial with your overconfidence in McCoy.

He is a scatback who has produced below average ypc over his LAST 450 CARRIES.

It's not a small sample size...........he is not as explosive as he once was and that means those moves don't create space and missed tackles like they used to.

He's also constantly nagged by minor injuries as well.

The excuses made for McCoy the past couple of seasons are reminiscent of those made for Thurman Thomas from 1993-1997.     It was always 'well if the blocking was better" and "well if he could just fully heal from that nagging injury" he'd still be that league MVP running back.

It never happened of course and he lost a full ypc off his previous production peaks from earlier in his career.

Thurman may have been as good *sometimes* as he was but he couldn't sustain it over a season.    Unless Shady hits the HGH he's not turning back his RB clock.

A couple things strike me about your arguments:

"He is a scatback who has produced below average ypc over his LAST 450 CARRIES." It's an interesting choice to throw out that "450 Carry" metric, and perhaps a bit misleading. His production was cut in half last season compared to the two previous seasons. It's not a stretch for someone to suggest that it might, at least partially, be due to the Bills going from a strong(ish) O-line in '17, '16 to a total crap O-line in 2018. But, it seems like you might be suggesting that the reason for his drop in production (which you've only hinted at by using the 450 carry metric), is a function of his age (which you're also only hinting at-- "not turning back his RB clock...") which is a strange argument when you're advocating for another RB who is five years older.

This would not work for most veteran players, their attitude would assume a certain kind of tenure. However, McCoy is a good soldier. This just might work to light a big enough fire under his ass to finish his career all out. Or it could be a terrible idea, we'll find out!

12 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

This would not work for most veteran players, their attitude would assume a certain kind of tenure. However, McCoy is a good soldier. This just might work to light a big enough fire under his ass to finish his career all out. Or it could be a terrible idea, we'll find out!

Oh I definately think he feels this is his team

This is the way I see it.....I look at Singletary as that talented guy that is sitting in the pitcher's box while the starters are doing their thing......but Shady has also had issues with hamstrings over his career.......and Gore I like much more as a relief guy.

This is going to all work out.....I think Singletary is going to be a stud and his time will come.....I like having too many good player at a position then not enough

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Why?

Gore had a clearly better season than McCoy last year.

Gore has more than 4K more career rushing yards than McCoy.

His style is more conducive to keeping the offense "on schedule".

He's also more reliable having made 126 straight starts dating back to 2010 prior to missing the last two games of last season with a foot sprain.    

He's a HOF'er whether casual NFL fans(aka most Bills fans) know it or not.

Cap dollars can be rolled over.     Presumably soon some of the Bills young players will actually be good and start getting $20M per year contracts.  You can start extending first contracts after 3 years.     If Allen is a stud he will get $40M per at the end of his rookie deal.    When you start having multiple players that eat up 10% of your cap room then money not wasted before matters.

That’s a bit of a reach. Dawkins is the only player of note up for a new contract extension as he would be entering his final year. I guess you can include Milano too. Hyde, Poyer, White, Allen, and Edmunds are all under contract until 2021 or beyond. None of them will get extensions next year.

Gore is just not the player he was. Can he still be effective in a spot role? Sure, but he's not going to beat Shady out as the starter. Shady is going to bounce back behind a much improved OL. The guy to watch is Singletary. I think he is going to push Gore for the backup spot. 

Shady has trained with Gore for a few years now.  Imo, trying to do what Gore does because he has been able to thrive past 30 better than any other back in recent memory.  I think it's fair to say, yes Gore will push Shady.  Why?  Who is more accomplished?  Gore.  Who is higher on the all time rushing list? Gore.  If it's a popularity contest? Or the spot is given to seniority? Gore.  Shady has to out work him, and out produce him from now to September to be the starter.  Every team Gore goes to he starts over younger guys with more potential.  Will Buffalo be any different?

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I didn’t catch most of his games last year, but Gore’s still got it

Gore sure takes a lot of hits.  I hope with the improvements in the OL, he can do it one more season.  For Shady, it's hard to find holes when you're interior line is being pushed back 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage.  It's like they all thought they were pass blocking.  I feel last year the opposing defenses played the run and made whatever QB Bills put out there beat them, especially with the poor WRs they had last year.  This year, Allen starts as the #1, not the #3, OL line is better, WRs are better.  All that should help the Running game get on track, which will help the entire offense.  However, if I'm an opposing Defense, I am going to play the Run first and make Allen beat me with his passing.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Why?

Gore had a clearly better season than McCoy last year.

Gore has more than 4K more career rushing yards than McCoy.

His style is more conducive to keeping the offense "on schedule".

He's also more reliable having made 126 straight starts dating back to 2010 prior to missing the last two games of last season with a foot sprain.    

He's a HOF'er whether casual NFL fans(aka most Bills fans) know it or not.

gore isn't exactly a hidden secret as you want to make him out to be.  i like gore.  a lot.  he's had a great career, and i wouldn't be surprised if he's a larger part of the production the mccoy.  i have no idea if mccoy was hitting a wall last year, or it his play was a result of very bad line play.  we'll see.  on top of that, what if singletary ends up with the bulk of production?  does it really matter?  i just want the run game to move the ball and help josh out.  where the production comes from doesn't matter to me at all.  nor does it for the gm.  they're all pushing each other to be the starter, so yes...what beane said was just off season nonsense.

are you sure this isn't more about mccoy with you?  didn't you have an unusual hard on for the guy a bit back?  

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

A couple things strike me about your arguments:

"He is a scatback who has produced below average ypc over his LAST 450 CARRIES." It's an interesting choice to throw out that "450 Carry" metric, and perhaps a bit misleading. His production was cut in half last season compared to the two previous seasons. It's not a stretch for someone to suggest that it might, at least partially, be due to the Bills going from a strong(ish) O-line in '17, '16 to a total crap O-line in 2018. But, it seems like you might be suggesting that the reason for his drop in production (which you've only hinted at by using the 450 carry metric), is a function of his age (which you're also only hinting at-- "not turning back his RB clock...") which is a strange argument when you're advocating for another RB who is five years older.

He IS a scatback.    That style requires speed and quickness........which are harder to sustain at his age than the power game that is Frank Gore.   Think of heavyweight fighters.  Power is the last thing to go which is why Gore has been able to sustain with his style.

McCoy was below league average(4.2) ypc in 2017 behind what you call a "strong(ish) O-line"...........that's where the 450 carry number comes from........it's both 2017 & 2018 that he was below league average ypc.   Combined OR Separately.   Both.

Now if you are a power back your style takes a toll on defenders........which creates opportunities for ball control or bigger plays for other runners/receivers later in the game.........it's a very old and successful formula.   Go back to 2016 and look at the weights of the top 15 rushers.   All big backs EXCEPT McCoy.   It's still the style the league prefers, especially as LB's get smaller and quicker.   I've always tacked a yard per carry over their production onto powerful RB's.    

McCoy doesn't exact a toll on defenses though.   

He's also a terrible pass blocker where Gore is an exceptional one so having Shady on the field on 3rd down means you gotta' give it to him OR get your QB hit........which is why it's not been a lock that he'd be on the field on 3rd downs since he came to Buffalo.

McCoy also can't do short yardage or goal line.........plays that, incidentally, LOWER a players ypc which makes McCoy's low ypc without them even more glaring.

I am hoping for a bounce back year from Shady like everyone else.   Hoping he hit the James Harrison juice this offseason.    I also don't expect Frank Gore to produce forever.    But like I said people are giving McCoy a pass for the past TWO SEASONS like it doesn't matter that he's also WELL past the expiration date for his style of game as it is.   

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, teef said:

gore isn't exactly a hidden secret as you want to make him out to be.  i like gore.  a lot.  he's had a great career, and i wouldn't be surprised if he's a larger part of the production the mccoy.  i have no idea if mccoy was hitting a wall last year, or it his play was a result of very bad line play.  we'll see.  on top of that, what if singletary ends up with the bulk of production?  does it really matter?  i just want the run game to move the ball and help josh out.  where the production comes from doesn't matter to me at all.  nor does it for the gm.  they're all pushing each other to be the starter, so yes...what beane said was just off season nonsense.

are you sure this isn't more about mccoy with you?  didn't you have an unusual hard on for the guy a bit back?  

Trying my best not to imagine what an unusual hard on looks like...

5 minutes ago, teef said:

You said it was "nonsense" which implies there was a massive disparity between what McCoy and Gore bring to the table.

There's not.    In fact beside the raw numbers Gore is actually excellent at a lot of what Shady is traditionally poor at.......blitz pickup, not taking TFL's, short yardage and goal line conversion.........things traditionally seen as good for helping out a young QB along. 

Your response was a rapid back pedal from what you originally said...........that was the point of my response to you so mission accomplished.

I do hope that McCoy bounces back.........he needs to be used properly..........and I'd hope that Singletary turns into the every down back by 2020 if not at some point this year.   Just not sure he is THAT good.   I had him as RB1 in a poor RB class.    Hopefully the Bills prove me wrong with the pick and he turns into a Kareem Hunt or Alvin Kamara type producer.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You said it was "nonsense" which implies there was a massive disparity between what McCoy and Gore bring to the table.

There's not.    In fact beside the raw numbers Gore is actually excellent at a lot of what Shady is traditionally poor at.......blitz pickup, not taking TFL's, short yardage and goal line conversion.........things traditionally seen as good for helping out a young QB along. 

Your response was a rapid back pedal from what you originally said...........that was the point of my response to you so mission accomplished.

I do hope that McCoy bounces back.........he needs to be used properly..........and I'd hope that Singletary turns into the every down back by 2020 if not at some point this year.   Just not sure he is THAT good.   I had him as RB1 in a poor RB class.    Hopefully the Bills prove me wrong with the pick and he turns into a Kareem Hunt or Alvin Kamara type producer.

no.  this is you doing you.  there's really not much of an argument to be had.  it was nonsense off season talk.  who cares.  you're going to turn this into a badolbilz thing, aren't you?  you know...where you carry on a strange crusade that no one really cares about.  you'll twist words, exaggerate truths, and often, straight up lie to prove a point?  yeah...i'm good with that.