Beane: Gore will push McCoy to be the starter

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They are still millions under the cap this year and next. What difference does salary make? 

#1. Easy when it's not your money.

#2. Singletary is Shady except 21 years old and not 31.

#3. TJ Yeldon is also quite capable at a fraction of the costs.

#4. You don't pay a backup top 10 money.

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Even though I feel Gore would've faired better behind that line because of his within the tackle running style, he still would've had a tough go of it. I think both him and Shady will thrive with the new and improved O line. 

OK, as someone who spent way too much time watching the run game and trying to figure out what blocking the Bills were attempting to achieve:

1) on the one hand, there was seldom a lane McCoy could run through

2) on the other hand, after the first couple games when it became clear there weren't lanes where he could follow a blocker and there weren't likely to be lanes where he could follow a blocker, Shady did a sh** ton of dancing about where, had he hit the hole harder, he could arguably have gotten more yards

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, as someone who spent way too much time watching the run game and trying to figure out what blocking the Bills were attempting to achieve:

1) on the one hand, there was seldom a lane McCoy could run through

2) on the other hand, after the first couple games when it became clear there weren't lanes where he could follow a blocker and there weren't likely to be lanes where he could follow a blocker, Shady did a sh** ton of dancing about where, had he hit the hole harder, he could arguably have gotten more yards

He didn't maximize yardage, but it's hard to teach a back who's been around as long as Shady new tricks. Not only is it not his game, he's really ineffective as a downhill runner. He has virtually no strength at the point of attack. What concerned me the most wasn't that Shady didn't produce; the line was garbage and there were no lanes. I was more troubled by the fact that he didn't seem to have the same burst or quickness. I've seen his schtick in the past and there were obviously negative plays even when things were going well. He never looked so sluggish. It's POSSIBLE that everything slowed down as he got used to the fact that there was nowhere to go. That's the hope. I don't know how much Gore has left in the tank either TBH. I actually think RB was a need NOW. I just hope I'm wrong about Singletary because we may need him to produce.

McCoy is one of my all time favorite RB's to watch, so I'd love to see the burst re-emerge. That would be ideal.

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Different backs do different things better.

We will have Singletary and one of them stud RBs that are suppose to be in next years draft.

Is there one who just runs straight ahead and crosses the line of scrimmage.  We need one who does that real good.

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Whoa.  What?  Does McCoy need to be pushed to be the STARTER?  Shady not gonna like these comments...

While poor line play had significant impact, McCoy can’t argue that his last season left him as a lock to go uncontested for the starting role this year.

51 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Actually there isn't a case for that at all. Ivory smashed into the back of guards repeatedly for little to no gain. While that looks like he is running hard and giving great effort, it still doesn't produce any results. Shady was never that type of back in his career and it is folly to expect him to be any different.  

Beane and McDermott (still keeping my promise) have shown through their actions just the opposite - cutting Ivory and completely rebuilding the line. Gore is a great back to have around for Allen. Yeldon should help in the pass game.  I think Singletary was a waste of a pick but he is young and may provide some elusiveness that Gore and Yeldon won't.  I would have chosen TE and WR in third round instead of RB. But going with Singletary now gives the organization a year to evaluate him prior to the 2020 draft.

I still disagree on some of this.  Truthfully, deciding who had the better season in McCoy vs Ivory is like splitting hairs, neither did a great job and a big part of that had to do with the OL.  I think Ivory just did a slightly better job getting positive yards, albeit not many, than Shady who would lose yards and sometimes as much as 4 to 5 yards because he was dancing too much and it put the team in even longer situations more than we should have been.

But, they did not just cut Ivory...they replaced Ivory with a better version of Ivory in Gore.  Had they cut Ivory and just drafted a shifty RB, sure I would buy some of this more.  But they didn't, they brought in someone who was excellent at getting positive yards last year in a bad situation.

Im personally of the mindset that McCoy will bounce back and will start week 1.  BUT:  Gore was on a terrible offense with a terrible OL himself, and yet he averages a whopping 1.4 yards more per carry than McCoy.  Its foolish to ignore that.  If Gore is coming and hitting the holes better and consistently getting 4 plus yards on his carries and McCoy is still dancing too much, its not out of the question they tap Gore ahead of McCoy.

But like I said, I still personally believe Shady will bounce back with this better OL and better passing game around him too.  I am just saying its also no guarantee that happens and not of the question that Gore could surprise and over take him if he is gaining yards more consistently.  

PS:  You are wrong on Devin, he is a legit RB prospect.  Does not mean he is some lock to be a stud, but it was not a wasted pick and he has some serious upside.  I very much liked the pick and think he is going to be one who may turn some heads this preseason and camp.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

23 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It's not pink. It's rose. And it's delicious. 

For the record, blue cheese

It was described at the time as pink. I thought it was amusing.  The Veuve Rose is the only champagne my wife will touch, unless it’s in a mimosa. It can indeed be delicious. 

59 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

When you draft a running back in the 3rd round, the expectation is that he's going to be the long term starter. If Singletary is not that, it was a poor allocation of resources.

And who is to say that is not?   Just because he doesnt start the season?  With the exception of Yeldon our rb's were OLD with Shady starting to look a lot like a cap casulty the next year and Gore on a 1 year deal?

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Whoa.  What?  Does McCoy need to be pushed to be the STARTER?  Shady not gonna like these comments...

That’s what I was just thinking , 

( IMO ) I don’t believe Sheddy worries about losing his job to Gore or TJ , , if anything the addition of a rookie might give him/Sheddy an extra motivation because he knows that this could be his potential replacement moving forward , 

and yes I agree with you about Sheddy not liking these comments , Ithink that with the rebuild OL and with a better passing game Shaddy will have a great year 

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

And who is to say that is not?   Just because he doesnt start the season?  With the exception of Yeldon our rb's were OLD with Shady starting to look a lot like a cap casulty the next year and Gore on a 1 year deal?

I'm not stating declaratively that Singetary is not the answer(though I have my doubts). I just don't think a fresh 21 year old 3rd round pick should be viewed as someone you stash away. You're likely to get the most production out of a back very early in their career, so I'd like to see him emerge as either the starter or the clear cut number 2 behind Shady or Gore.

It's sort of odd that Parinno extrapolates that Shady would be gone if Gore beats him out for the #1 role. Would he cause problems in the locker room? The implication that he's gone if he's not the starter is interesting. Not sure why he couldn't play a role as a 3rd down back other than ego.

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm not stating declaratively that Singetary is not the answer(though I have my doubts). I just don't think a fresh 21 year old 3rd round pick should be viewed as someone you stash away. You're likely to get the most production out of a back very early in their career, so I'd like to see him emerge as either the starter or the clear cut number 2 behind Shady or Gore.

It's sort of odd that Parinno extrapolates that Shady would be gone if Gore beats him out for the #1 role. Would he cause problems in the locker room? The implication that he's gone if he's not the starter is interesting. Not sure why he couldn't play a role as a 3rd down back other than ego.

I am not positive that Shady is gone under any circumstances this year.....my concern is injury.....older backs get nicked up

If that happens.....I will feel very good about this pick...and it doesnt mean we cant draft another one next year as well

6 hours ago, teef said:

this feels like nonsense.

Why?

Gore had a clearly better season than McCoy last year.

Gore has more than 4K more career rushing yards than McCoy.

His style is more conducive to keeping the offense "on schedule".

He's also more reliable having made 126 straight starts dating back to 2010 prior to missing the last two games of last season with a foot sprain.    

He's a HOF'er whether casual NFL fans(aka most Bills fans) know it or not.

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They are still millions under the cap this year and next. What difference does salary make? 

Cap dollars can be rolled over.     Presumably soon some of the Bills young players will actually be good and start getting $20M per year contracts.  You can start extending first contracts after 3 years.     If Allen is a stud he will get $40M per at the end of his rookie deal.    When you start having multiple players that eat up 10% of your cap room then money not wasted before matters.