Joe B latest to leave for Athletic

GG

1 minute ago, sullim4 said:

It's interesting, I'm 34 and my wife is 32 and we both recently started to watch the news in the mornings.  In Seattle the print media has, for all intents and purposes, died.  The Times is a shell of its former self and the PI has been out of print for 10 years now.  The suburban local papers also died.  The only digital "news" comes from retired folk and stay-at-home moms who moan and complain on Facebook and Twitter.

No one is reporting on news in say North Bend, Snohomish, or Kent aside from the TV stations.  I didn't watch local news until recently and it's actually kind of nice to get news that isn't 100% Seattle-centric.  You can learn about what's going on in our neck of the woods from actual journalists instead of serial complainers.

The internet is definitely the best source for international and national news.  I think it has filled the gap for major metros like NYC, Chicago, LA, Seattle, etc.  But if you don't live in one of those cities, you aren't getting local news on the internet.  The TV (or the paper, if it still exists) is your only option.

I have to believe that's a bit of an outlier. We're 32 & 33 and I only know a few people around here that have cable at all. I know you can still use antenna, but I think I'm the only person I know that does that. Watching the news is definitely a very Buffalo thing though. Whenever I go home, it's a bit of a culture shock to be hanging out with people and see it on the TV.

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

Their reporting is actual reporting. Most stories are long-form in-depth journalism and they don't post "articles" quoting what was said on a radio show or press conference adding their 2-cents to try and classify that as real content.

That is a good endorsement.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Is it subpar? Serious question - I'm not paying for it so wouldn't know; I've had friends say it's great.

Either way, Joe B isn't gonna boost the quality by much.

Do you follow teams other than just the Bills and Sabres? If so then absolutely, yeah. I'm a Braves fan also so I'm getting daily content on them. There's top notch league level reporting and columns for all of the major 4, plus college football and basketball and pretty good fantasy football coverage too

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Do you follow teams other than just the Bills and Sabres? If so then absolutely, yeah. I'm a Braves fan also so I'm getting daily content on them. There's top notch league level reporting and columns for all of the major 4, plus college football and basketball and pretty good fantasy football coverage too

Thanks! I mean I am a Brewers fan so it may be for me. If they have good fantasy baseball coverage I’d be interested in that too.

1 hour ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Thanks! I mean I am a Brewers fan so it may be for me. If they have good fantasy baseball coverage I’d be interested in that too.

They do have content for both fantasy baseball and basketball as far as I know. I can't speak to the quality of it because I don't play but I know it's out there

22 minutes ago, mcdamit said:

i was hoping Wgr would hire him.  Miles better then anyone of the station.  I guess the station is content with their untalented lot 

He left WGR to go to Ch. 7.  Doubt he'd be interested in a return trip.

21 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Is WKBW in trouble? I know they are probably 3rd in ratings but I haven't heard that.

Joe B is leaving because the constraints of a broadcast sportscast doesn't give him the opportunity to play to his strengths, namely detailed, long form reporting.  Also, The Athletic is throwing some good coin around and TV salaries aren't what they used to be in the days of Irv, Rick & Tom (I am in the business, FYI)

21 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I prefer Bove anyway..Long,tall Joe is hardly on and he's clueless about the Sabres.With that being said..those sports segments are getting shorter and shorter.

Josh Reed (4) is my favorite out of all the locals.

Bove is a genuinely good guy, is ambitious, and works hard ... partied with Reed in Lauderdale at last seasons Miami game: also a great guy

17 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have them both and read them both.  Sometimes I find articles I enjoy on both.

Same here.  They are complimentary sources and well worth the price.

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I wonder what the salary is for the WKBW Sports Director, that he left there for the Athletic?

Bupkis.  That's why you have two 'adult' news anchors and a gaggle of twenty-something kids on the air anymore.    It's not a living wage for people with a mortgage...

Edited by Lurker