Joe B latest to leave for Athletic

GG

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

???

I already find it to be quite well worth the money, but maybe that's just me.

It may be worth the money if you follow multiple sports and multiple teams, but they produce far less content on Bills & Sabres than the Snooze.   People may like their reporters and features more than Buffalo News, but they do not have the same level of coverage yet.   

For a Buffalo-only fan I think you get a much better bang for the buck with BN Blitz subscription than you do with The Athletic

Edited by GG
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, GG said:

It may be worth the money if you follow multiple sports and multiple teams, but they produce far less content on Bills & Sabres than the Snooze.   People may like their reporters and features more than Buffalo News, but they do not have the same level of coverage yet.   

For a Buffalo-only fan I think you get a much better bang for the buck with BN Blitz subscription than you do with The Athletic

To me it is a quality versus quantity issue.

The athletic has by far better content and better writers lead by excellent pieces by Matthew Fairburn.  I would not trade that for any of the News material.

I enjoy the different pieces by the staff and the coverage has just been great.  I will keep that everyday of the week.

3 hours ago, GG said:

Snooze reporting that Buscaglia will leave WKBW in August for The Athletic.  Will continue to provide Bills features for the TV station.

The Athletic definitely needs to ramp up their sports coverage to justify the subscription.

Is it subpar? Serious question - I'm not paying for it so wouldn't know; I've had friends say it's great.

Either way, Joe B isn't gonna boost the quality by much.

3 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Is it subpar? Serious question - I'm not paying for it so wouldn't know; I've had friends say it's great.

Either way, Joe B isn't gonna boost the quality by much.

As I said there aren't as many stories as to the News. 

They have about one new article every 2 days or so right now, compared to multiple articles per day in the News.  The flip side is that many people like Athletic reporters more, and that is worth the premium for them.   Up to you what you value more.   For me, 15 articles per month is a premium.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Is WKBW in trouble? I know they are probably 3rd in ratings but I haven't heard that.

You think younger generations are going to watch the local news? 10 years, max.

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

The athletic has by far better content and better writers lead by excellent pieces by Matthew Fairburn.  I would not trade that for any of the News material.

I enjoy the different pieces by the staff and the coverage has just been great.  I will keep that everyday of the week.

Same. There isn’t necessarily enough interesting Bills content to fill out an article every day, especially in the off-season. But when they do post an article, it’s almost always worth my time. 

3 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Thats surprise considering Joe is, I believe the director of sports for WKBW. So you would think that would be a well paying job for him, considering he came from radio.

That was my first thought. He is indeed the sports director there so The Athletic must be doing pretty well to be able to lure him away.

3 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Is WKBW in trouble? I know they are probably 3rd in ratings but I haven't heard that.

They're all in trouble. A lot of us don't like Sinclair Media Group shoving crap down our throats. I Don't know anyone under 35 that watches the news everyday like they did when i was growing up. The next generation sure won't keep them afloat.

2 hours ago, Magox said:

I actually like the Athletic, yeah they don't put out as much content but it's quality content.

Their reporting is actual reporting. Most stories are long-form in-depth journalism and they don't post "articles" quoting what was said on a radio show or press conference adding their 2-cents to try and classify that as real content.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Joe B is a personal friend of mine and I love him dearly. He made the right move here. The Athletic is the most proper local outfit these days it seems. 

I thought The Athletic was a national outlet?

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I have them both and read them both.  Sometimes I find articles I enjoy on both.

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought The Athletic was a national outlet?

I have them both and read them both.  Sometimes I find articles I enjoy on both.

I thought the Athletic is a nationwide collection of local outlets? Like a collection of affiliated local sports pages. Idk like I said I don’t subscribe but that was my understanding.

4 hours ago, GG said:

I have been 100% against paying for sports coverage but I’m now seriously considering The Athletic as they have put together a group of perhaps, the best local Bills best reports.

With Joe B, I’m considering now more than ever!

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I subscribe to the BN Blitz, The Athletic, and Cover 1. IMO, worth the subscriptions.

Wow that’s a lot of money.  IMO Athletic Buffalo is the only one worth paying $$$

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

They're all in trouble. A lot of us don't like Sinclair Media Group shoving crap down our throats. I Don't know anyone under 35 that watches the news everyday like they did when i was growing up. The next generation sure won't keep them afloat.

It's interesting, I'm 34 and my wife is 32 and we both recently started to watch the news in the mornings.  In Seattle the print media has, for all intents and purposes, died.  The Times is a shell of its former self and the PI has been out of print for 10 years now.  The suburban local papers also died.  The only digital "news" comes from retired folk and stay-at-home moms who moan and complain on Facebook and Twitter.

No one is reporting on news in say North Bend, Snohomish, or Kent aside from the TV stations.  I didn't watch local news until recently and it's actually kind of nice to get news that isn't 100% Seattle-centric.  You can learn about what's going on in our neck of the woods from actual journalists instead of serial complainers.

The internet is definitely the best source for international and national news.  I think it has filled the gap for major metros like NYC, Chicago, LA, Seattle, etc.  But if you don't live in one of those cities, you aren't getting local news on the internet.  The TV (or the paper, if it still exists) is your only option.