My 53 man roster projection

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Personally? No. I think Roberts is making this team and will be the primary return guy but I don't think he can be that swiss army knife who can line up in the backfield, run reverses and sweeps, be a bubble screen guy out of funky formations and if pressed a conventional slot. 

I think you have McKenzie on your roster that is a package of 6 or 7 extra plays the opposing defense has to prepare for each week. 

How do they make both Roberts and McKenzie fit if everyone comes out of camp healthy? I am not sure. 

Been having this same train of thought since we signed Roberts. I'd love to see McKenzie on the roster next year, but I also just see him being the odd man out unless they keep an extra WR. 

That said, I agree and feel McKenzie to be the better WR fit in Daboll's offense over Roberts, and outside of Foster was one of the key receivers for us last year simply for the utility purposes you mentioned. Cover 1 did some great All-22 summaries where McKenzie's use in the sweep/reverse game set up and led to scores and key first downs. He even progressed as a pure WR option in the short game for Allen in the last couple of games. His biggest downside, unfortunately, was also the primary reason they picked him up mid-season last year - for the KR pieces. He just never really developed into that role last year. Who knows how much of it had to do with our ST overall last year, but his hands were infinitely better catching passes than punts, and it's hard to argue a chance for him in the KR role with Roberts now signed.

Selfishly, I'd like to see him on the roster to provide those sweep/reverse looks that help open up our offense - his speed is enough that defenses have to consistently honor it when we line up in those formations. But given our FA signings, he's looking to be the odd man out here. 

Edited by ctk232

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If they cut McKenzie it is because they don't think they need a swiss army knife not because Roberts replaces him in that role. I'd argue McKenzie is more valuable as a #4 or #5 receiver than most of the other options.

Completely agree. I think Daboll loves those jet sweeps and McKenzie runs them well. He's got a lot of value given his skill set if you can design some plays that get him the ball in space. Roberts is pretty old. I'd prefer the keep McKenzie if it's between the two.

5 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Do you think there is a chance that Andre Roberts could fill his WR role?

If there's a guy they like as a KR/PR or prime STer, they generally don't want him playing WR except in emergency

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I still think Daboll will want McKenzie on this roster. 

I'm not entirely convinced Beane gives supreme weight to who McDermott wants on the roster, much less the coaches lower down on the totem pole. Could just be my wrong notion.

In any event, if that's what Daboll does want, it's gonna come down to "OK, sure, then who you want to part with instead?" with a healthy reminder that just because we see something in preseason....

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Completely agree. I think Daboll loves those jet sweeps and McKenzie runs them well. He's got a lot of value given his skill set if you can design some plays that get him the ball in space. Roberts is pretty old. I'd prefer the keep McKenzie if it's between the two.

Roberts is pretty old.  When you look at Roberts contract though, I think they didn't offer him $3M guaranteed to let him compete with McKensie.  OTOH, perhaps that's still "chump change" for Beane.

@GunnerBill I hear you on McKensie doing a better job with the sweeps and the reverses and gadget plays last season, but they had Foster running them early in the season and it seems to me they had Foster running them more as the season went on (similar type of play at 1:30 here).  I think that's going to be a role they expect to see Foster increase.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If there's a guy they like as a KR/PR or prime STer, they generally don't want him playing WR except in emergency

I'm not entirely convinced Beane gives supreme weight to who McDermott wants on the roster, much less the coaches lower down on the totem pole. Could just be my wrong notion.

In any event, if that's what Daboll does want, it's gonna come down to "OK, sure, then who you want to part with instead?" with a healthy reminder that just because we see something in preseason....

Roberts is pretty old.  When you look at Roberts contract though, I think they didn't offer him $3M guaranteed to let him compete with McKensie.  OTOH, perhaps that's still "chump change" for Beane.

All fair points. The 3 mil will not be a determinative factor, but it'll be a factor. Although they DID use a pick and some cash on Coleman and then dump him. The guaranteed money indicates Beane believed Roberts would be one of the 53, but competition.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

So Feliciano doesnt make the team?  Bodine over him when Feliciano can play multiple positions?

I think Bodine is a gonner

I think Bodine is a low end starting caliber center. I think Feliciano is a backup G/C at best and Ford and Long are better options at G. Just my opinion.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Personally? No. I think Roberts is making this team and will be the primary return guy but I don't think he can be that swiss army knife who can line up in the backfield, run reverses and sweeps, be a bubble screen guy out of funky formations and if pressed a conventional slot. 

I think you have McKenzie on your roster that is a package of 6 or 7 extra plays the opposing defense has to prepare for each week. 

How do they make both Roberts and McKenzie fit if everyone comes out of camp healthy? I am not sure. 

I don’t know Roberts skill set well enough I guess. Any insight into why he’d be good I’m space on returns but not screens/reverses?

Edited by NoSaint

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I think Bodine is a low end starting caliber center. I think Feliciano is a backup G/C at best and Ford and Long are better options at G. Just my opinion.

You are sleeping on Feliciano bigtime.... he is a beast..Feliciano, Spain and Ford are very similar players..... 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

To me Ford is RT anyway

I think  Feliciano makes this team....we dont go through aquiring this OL talent just to piss it away.

Well, yes and no. I think Feliciano makes the team as well, but only because I think he will earn it. We acquired running backs Perry, Gore, Yeldon, Wade, and Singletary, also, and at least two of them are going to get pissed away.

Edited by Rocky Landing

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Well, yes and no. I think Feliciano makes the team as well, but only because I think he will earn it. We acquired running backs Perry, Gore, Yeldon, Wade, and Singletary, also, and at least two of them are going to get pissed away.

Im thinking Perry and Wade....but that is jmo

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Im thinking Perry and Wade....but that is jmo

Wade has a practice squad exemption so no reason not to keep him in my opinion, if he shows anything at all. You can keep the allocated players on your PS without taking up one of your allotted PS spots.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

QB Allen, Barkley

FB DiMarco

RB McCoy, Gore, Yeldon, Singletary 

WR Foster, Jones, Beasley, D. Williams, Brown

OT Dawkins, Nsekhe, Ford, Waddle

C Morse, Bodine

G Long,  Spain, Teller

TE Kroft, Knox, Croom, Fisher

DE Lawson, Murphy, Hughes. Ansah EDIT SIGNED WITH Seattle. 4th DE not currently on team

DT Oliver, J. Phillips, H. Phillips, Lotulelei

OLB Alexander, D. Johnson, Milano. Joseph

MLB Edmunds, Not on team yet

CB White, Gaines, Wallace, K. Johnson, T. Johnson

S Poyer, Hyde, Bush, M. Alexander, J. Jonhson

KR McKenzie Edit: Roberts ( thanks board I forgot about his signing)

P Bojorquez 

K Hauschka 

LS Ferguson 

Thanks for posting and updating.  Hard to do as post draft FA and 6/1 cuts will definitely come into play.  

Agree on QB/FB/RB slots.

WR ok with Roberts too.  Can see him playing some role as had good numbers for 2 years in AZ.

TE see Sweeney beating out Fisher.  They are same type of player but Sweeney better receiver.

Can't see Bodine lasting - trade for 5th-7th pick late in camp when injury happens around the league.  Long and Feliciano can play C if need be.

Feliciano beats out Teller all day given history at OAK and with our OLine coach.  Waddle v Teller is Final OLine decision.   Teller can go to PS as can Ike Boettger.  Likely imo.

D Johnson was drafted to play DE not SAM LB.  If any DE moves back I see Eli Harold doing it as experience in league playing SAM.  Mo Alexander is 6th OLB as Milano backup.  See Joseph transitioning to SAM in McDs D.  Agree someone could come in and take Stanford's job as backup MIKE.  D Johnson has PS and weight training option.

4th DE is Harold's job to win.  Expect a FA signee forthcoming.

Siran Neal makes team as 5th S and ST gunner.

Go Bills