My 53 man roster projection

I doubt Duke Williams makes the team. I doubt we go with only 2 QB's. I doubt Bodine or Fisher make the team.

It's also strange to include players that are not even on the roster yet, like Ansah. There is no indication, as of right now, that he will be signed.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I doubt Duke Williams makes the team. I doubt we go with only 2 QB's. I doubt Bodine or Fisher make the team.

It's also strange to include players that are not even on the roster yet, like Ansah. There is no indication, as of right now, that he will be signed.

Why is it strange?  Happens every year. Guys get cut during camp and sign elsewhere. The punter was a Patriot this time last year and J. Phillips was a Dolphin. If not Ansah then they will add another front 7 player. Could be an OLB and play Lorax exclusively at DE. 

The backup MLB spot is wide open and I don't think anyone on the roster currently is a capable back-up. But as others have pointed it is impossible to have quality depth everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

No way Bodine makes this team, Feliciano and Long have C experience and could fill in there if needed.

He was capable last year. Arguably second best OL. He was far better than Groy. 

And he would be in final year of his deal meaning if he left as FA next year it would be a net loss in free agents for comp picks.

Laughable ideas I know. Again I would try to trade him. Actually surprised he wasn't moved ahead of the draft with the signings you mentioned. Perhaps they just hold on to him until camp injuries start to occur league wide. 

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He was capable last year. Arguably second best OL. He was far better than Groy. 

And he would be in final year of his deal meaning if he left as FA next year it would be a net loss in free agents for comp picks.

Laughable ideas I know. Again I would try to trade him. Actually surprised he wasn't moved ahead of the draft with the signings you mentioned. Perhaps they just hold on to him until camp injuries start to occur league wide. 

Bodine will be an insurance policy for camp.  He will start out as the 2nd team Center.

Long and Feliciano will battle with him (they will use him as a Litmus Test) to grade the other 2.

In all probability if Morse,  Long and Feliciano are healthy going into the 4th preseason game Bodine is out.

A more than fair chance Beane could get a pick for him in late in the summer.

As crazy as it sounds Ducasse could be used the same way with the same results.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Do you think there is a chance that Andre Roberts could fill his WR role?

Personally? No. I think Roberts is making this team and will be the primary return guy but I don't think he can be that swiss army knife who can line up in the backfield, run reverses and sweeps, be a bubble screen guy out of funky formations and if pressed a conventional slot. 

I think you have McKenzie on your roster that is a package of 6 or 7 extra plays the opposing defense has to prepare for each week. 

How do they make both Roberts and McKenzie fit if everyone comes out of camp healthy? I am not sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Personally? No. I think Roberts is making this team and will be the primary return guy but I don't think he can be that swiss army knife who can line up in the backfield, run reverses and sweeps, be a bubble screen guy out of funky formations and if pressed a conventional slot. 

I think you have McKenzie on your roster that is a package of 6 or 7 extra plays the opposing defense has to prepare for each week. 

How do they make both Roberts and McKenzie fit if everyone comes out of camp healthy? I am not sure. 

He has done that before with pretty good results.  He has gone on record wanting a WR role this year with the Bills.

Of course his primary reason of being here is PR/KR.

I'm interested in seeing if he is used in some of those 6 or 7 plays during camp.

47 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Bodine will be an insurance policy for camp.  He will start out as the 2nd team Center.

Long and Feliciano will battle with him (they will use him as a Litmus Test) to grade the other 2.

In all probability if Morse,  Long and Feliciano are healthy going into the 4th preseason game Bodine is out.

A more than fair chance Beane could get a pick for him in late in the summer.

As crazy as it sounds Ducasse could be used the same way with the same results.

I agree with the trade scenario.  Let them battle it out and then trade the losers to a team that suffers an injury or need help.

The Bills also have insurance in case the injury bug hits so no need to move on Ducasse or Bodine until the cut is required.  Only one cut helps the Bills manage the roster in this regard.

13 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

He has done that before with pretty good results.  He has gone on record wanting a WR role this year with the Bills.

Of course his primary reason of being here is PR/KR.

I'm interested in seeing if he is used in some of those 6 or 7 plays during camp.

He has as many rushing attempts in a 9 year career as McKenzie had in 8 games with the Bills last year. He has had success earlier in his career as a receiver.... more of a conventional guy who can play outside and inside. Receiver wise the guy he is most similar to of what we have is actually Zay Jones (but faster). 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He has as many rushing attempts in a 9 year career as McKenzie had in 8 games with the Bills last year. He has had success earlier in his career as a receiver.... more of a conventional guy who can play outside and inside. Receiver wise the guy he is most similar to of what we have is actually Zay Jones (but faster). 

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching McKenzie last year.  I just think his worth in taking up a roster spot went down a lot

after Roberts signed.  But we will see what happens in camp.  That's why camp is there.  LOL

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching McKenzie last year.  I just think his worth in taking up a roster spot went down a lot

after Roberts signed.  But we will see what happens in camp.  That's why camp is there.  LOL

If they cut McKenzie it is because they don't think they need a swiss army knife not because Roberts replaces him in that role. I'd argue McKenzie is more valuable as a #4 or #5 receiver than most of the other options.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If they cut McKenzie it is because they don't think they need a swiss army knife not because Roberts replaces him in that role. I'd argue McKenzie is more valuable as a #4 or #5 receiver than most of the other options.

Interesting.  I seen it from totally the other way around.  I'll keep your opinion about his usefulness in mind during camp.

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

A few initial thoughts. I think they will keep DiMarco  (I wouldn't but McD will). Anderson will retire and they will go with just two QBs.  If I'm wrong about Anderson and they keep three QBs then a backup interior OL will be cut. I also don't believe the backup middle LB is on the team now unless they move Lorax to that spot and keep an additional DE. I also think McKenzie makes the team as the KR. I don't know of any other good options for returners. Singletary? Fisher and Sweeney are a toss up. Also I'm predicting Ansah will be signed. I'm going with Teller now for some youth and development. I can see him not making it in favor of Feliciano. Or if Ford starts at RG then either Long or Bodine will be gone. The backup safeties are a toss up but I went with a combination of youth Johnson and exp Alexander. Plus Alexander will be a key ST guy.

QB Allen, Barkley

FB DiMarco

RB McCoy, Gore, Yeldon, Singletary 

WR Foster, Jones, Beasley, D. Williams, Brown

OT Dawkins, Nsekhe, Ford, Waddle

C Morse, Bodine

G Long,  Spain, Teller

TE Kroft, Knox, Croom, Fisher

DE Lawson, Murphy, Hughes. Ansah

DT Oliver, J. Phillips, H. Phillips, Lotulelei

OLB Alexander, D. Johnson, Milano. Joseph

MLB Edmunds, Not on team yet

CB White, Gaines, Wallace, K. Johnson, T. Johnson

S Poyer, Hyde, Bush, M. Alexander, J. Jonhson

KR McKenzie Edit: Roberts ( thanks board I forgot about his signing)

P Bojorquez 

K Hauschka 

LS Ferguson

With the changes after initial responses, that's not a half-bad initial guess, though plenty of room to dispute.  We'll just need to see how things shake out on OL.  I would expect them to keep a guy who can play G and C over Bodine as a backup center, and I'm pretty tired of watching film where DLmen pick Bodine up and hurl him backwards towards our QB like a pie being thrown at the mayor during a small-town carnival dunk-tank.  Bodine is a better center than Groy (and I shudder to say that) but he can't play guard, and usually the backup they keep can play both.  I think they'll play Ford at guard, myself.

For reference, here's what the 53 man actually was in 2018, which is probably a decent template for the numbers the Bills want to keep at each position.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2018/09/01/buffalo-bills-roster-cuts-tracker-2018-53-man-roster-mccarron-trade/1177060002/

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I could be wrong, way wrong, but I think they really want Foster running those reverses and sweeps.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I still think Daboll will want McKenzie on this roster. 

I hope so— loved his energy. But, between Roberts as KR, and Beasley in the slot, what would his role be? Beyond KR, is McKenzie useful on ST?

11 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I hope so— loved his energy. But, between Roberts as KR, and Beasley in the slot, what would his role be? Beyond KR, is McKenzie useful on ST?

I think he will have to be to stick. But I think his role is that swiss army knife. He can run that package of gimmick plays....