Tampa’s JPP might be done for the year.

If so the Bucs will be in need for another DE. They are also hard pressed against the salary cap so finding a suitable replacement only makes it more difficult. Add in Gerald McCoy and what they are going to do with him leads me to think that there could be a great opportunity for the Bills to utilize. 

Seeing that the Bills are still far under the salary cap they could absorb McCoy’s salary (13+M) if they wanted to. That in itself would be appealing to the Bucs. Seeing that the Bills declined the 5th year option on Shaq Lawson only makes me believe that they are prepared to just let him walk after this year. If so then I say cash him out now, especially if we can land Ziggy. 

Here’s a proposal that I would be willing to offer Tampa if I were the Bills. Lawson and our  2020 6th rd pick for McCoy and their 2020 2nd rd pick. My pitch would be that:

a. They got something for McCoy which they didn’t do during the draft and they shed his contract so they can sign their rookies and have a bit of salary cap relief.

b. They get a young decent replacement for JPP at a very reasonable money amount for this year. They won’t be able to find as much talent as Lawson’s for that low of money.

Now that we got Oliver we can use Ed’s speed in different packages all along the DL while still being solid up the middle. If we can add Ziggy that would put us over the top imo.

if the bucs need a tight end they can sign ziggy.  But man jpp should just buy a cabin in the middle of nowhere and never go outside but a house would probably fall on him like in the wizard of oz.

Just now, badassgixxer05 said:

Sounds like hes not missing anymore body parts this time around ?

well what if they remove a disc?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

if the bucs need a tight end they can sign ziggy.  But man jpp should just buy a cabin in the middle of nowhere and never go outside but a house would probably fall on him like in the wizard of oz.

well what if they remove a disc?

He will at least get a replacement. Can't say the same about the phalanges..

After drafting Ed Oliver why would we spend big money and assets on an older FA DT?  Our need is at DE right now.  Either make a move for Ziggy, or roll with what we have and save the $ for next offseason or extending current players.  JMO.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Playing with fireworks again, was he?

Car crash.  Thought to have fractured neck.

If he's out, it would count as a "non-football-injury", so I believe Bucs would not be responsible to pay his salary.  They don't have amortized signing bonus on the books for him.

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

After drafting Ed Oliver why would we spend big money on an older FA DT?  Our need is at DE right now.  Either make a move for Ziggy, or roll with what we have and save the $ for next offseason or extending current players.  JMO.

I would think that getting good compensation for a player that we may just let walk after the season would be motivation but also having depth and versatility along the DL would be a victory as well. I forgot to add this link in the initial post.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2019/05/07/what-now-bucs-seek-answers-after-learning-jason-pierre-paul-may-miss-season/

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Car crash.  Thought to have fractured neck.

If he's out, it would count as a "non-football-injury", so I believe Bucs would not be responsible to pay his salary.  They don't have amortized signing bonus on the books for him.

It looks like 7.5 million of this salary became fully guaranteed in March so they probably would owe that.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It looks like 7.5 million of this salary became fully guaranteed in March so they probably would owe that.

Depends.  From the article @Tipster19 linked:

" Pierre-Paul will go on the Non-Football Injury (NFI) list. Depending on the language in the contract, they may not have to honor the guarantee and it’s the club’s decision whether to pay the rest of the contract. If they decide not to, it would provide more money under the salary cap. "

• Thank you (+1) 1

Not that McCoy isn't good, but Buffalo did just draft a guy to play the same position, a guy that experts believe could be one of the most disruptive 3 tech DTs in the league.  Buffalo doesn't need to do anything today or tomorrow.  If they sign Ziggy Ansah in a couple weeks, I would explore trading Shaq Lawson for 2020 draft picks.  

56 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

If so the Bucs will be in need for another DE. They are also hard pressed against the salary cap so finding a suitable replacement only makes it more difficult. Add in Gerald McCoy and what they are going to do with him leads me to think that there could be a great opportunity for the Bills to utilize. 

Seeing that the Bills are still far under the salary cap they could absorb McCoy’s salary (13+M) if they wanted to. That in itself would be appealing to the Bucs. Seeing that the Bills declined the 5th year option on Shaq Lawson only makes me believe that they are prepared to just let him walk after this year. If so then I say cash him out now, especially if we can land Ziggy. 

Here’s a proposal that I would be willing to offer Tampa if I were the Bills. Lawson and our  2020 6th rd pick for McCoy and their 2020 2nd rd pick. My pitch would be that:

a. They got something for McCoy which they didn’t do during the draft and they shed his contract so they can sign their rookies and have a bit of salary cap relief.

b. They get a young decent replacement for JPP at a very reasonable money amount for this year. They won’t be able to find as much talent as Lawson’s for that low of money.

Now that we got Oliver we can use Ed’s speed in different packages all along the DL while still being solid up the middle. If we can add Ziggy that would put us over the top imo.

You just drafted Ed Oliver, Mate. Why do you need McCoy? That said the trade is quite good if the 2020 second rounder is there. But I had made the same mistake a while ago when I suggested a 3rd round pick for McCoy's contract. The point is, TB does not HAVE to pay him. They can just cut him. And nobody will ever give a 2nd rounder for Lawson. And we also need a DE - that is why we are trying for Ansah. You are depleting the limited personnel we have at the position by offering Lawson. That is likely because you are assuming Lawson and McCoy are interchangeable - they are not - one is a DT another a DE. That said, we can trade Lawson if we get Ansah - but I doubt TB will give up anything better than a 4th for that. Lawson has not entirely set the league on fire.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

You just drafted Ed Oliver, Mate. Why do you need McCoy? That said the trade is quite good if the 2020 second rounder is there. But I had made the same mistake a while ago when I suggested a 3rd round pick for McCoy's contract. The point is, TB does not HAVE to pay him. They can just cut him. And nobody will ever give a 2nd rounder for Lawson. And we also need a DE - that is why we are trying for Ansah. You are depleting the limited personnel we have at the position by offering Lawson. That is likely because you are assuming Lawson and McCoy are interchangeable - they are not - one is a DT another a DE. That said, we can trade Lawson if we get Ansah - but I doubt TB will give up anything better than a 4th for that. Lawson has not entirely set the league on fire.

Thanks for your input. True, Tampa can just waive McCoy and not have to pay him and they won’t receive any compensation. The reasoning behind my thought is that if JPP doesn’t come back this year than they have a big need at DE that is going to be hard to fill with a good replacement at affordable dollars. There might be a little extortion going on with this kind of thinking. Tampa also gets to shed McCoy’s contract while still receiving some sort of compensation. Saving face as a franchise doesn’t hurt either, instead of just riding themselves a former 1st rder who still has some gas in the tank.

Your point about trading Shaq before we know if we can land Ansah is more than valid and accurate. I guess patience really is a virtue.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

I would think that getting good compensation for a player that we may just let walk after the season would be motivation but also having depth and versatility along the DL would be a victory as well. I forgot to add this link in the initial post.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2019/05/07/what-now-bucs-seek-answers-after-learning-jason-pierre-paul-may-miss-season/

With all due respect, I think you’re overestimating Shaq Lawson’s trade value.  Again, JMO, but he’s probably better suited to play 3-4 DE than 4-3 DE given that he’s just not a good pass rusher.  And he would be an undersized 3-4 DE.

I can’t imagine the Bucs shipping McCoy and a 2020 2nd for Lawson and a 2020 6th.  It just doesn’t make sense to me, but I appreciate the thoughtful thread.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

With all due respect, I think you’re overestimating Shaq Lawson’s grade value.  Again, JMO, but he’s probably better suited to play 3-4 DE than 4-3 DE given that he’s just not a good pass rusher.  And he would be an undersized 3-4 DE.

I can’t imagine the Bucs shipping McCoy and a 2020 2nd for Lawson and a 2020 6th.  It just doesn’t make sense to me, but I appreciate the thoughtful thread.

Well, Tampa does play a 3-4 and former Jets’ coach Todd Bowles is the DC. I guess if the exposure of Shaq playing the Jets twice a year impressed Bowles then maybe something could be worked out but if not then nothing will becomes of it at all. Thanks for your input, I would hate to see us let the #19 pick overall just walk after this year and receive nothing for him. I believe that Shaq is good as gone after his year so I do hope that we sign Ansah and find some compensation for Lawson.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

Here’s a proposal that I would be willing to offer Tampa if I were the Bills. Lawson and our  2020 6th rd pick for McCoy and their 2020 2nd rd pick.

This is laughably bad for Tampa.

• Like (+1) 2