Anyone belong to a gym?

Planet Fitness. $10 a month (for only your nearest location) and you can get two months free if you visit more than 8 times a month over the course of about 10 months. 

Clean, well run, I go 6 out of 7 days a week early so it's not crowded. Best exercise decision I've made.

We (my family) actually get a full membership to the Y since my son is in daycare there. What is nice is that they have a spot that you can drop your kids off at for 2 hours where they will watch the kids while you work out. The problem was they have to be at least 2, which my son turned a few months back, so we havent been able to go. We decided to do a cycling class on sunday mornings now there which we just started, and my son and daughter had fun playing so it was a win win. Man am I out of shape though lol Been a few years since I did any type of gym activity

• Like (+1) 1

A career? I’ve thought about this quite a bit sir and I would have to say considering what’s waiting out there for me, I don’t want to sell anything, buy anything or process anything as a career. I don’t want to sell anything bought or processed or buy anything sold or processed or repair anything sold, bought or processed as a career. I don’t want to do that. My father’s in the army. He wants me to join, but I can’t work for that corporation, so what I’ve been doing lately is kick-boxing, which is a new sport…as far as career longevity, I don’t really know. I can’t figure it all out tonight, sir, so I’m just gonna hang with your daughter.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I had an exercise station once ....  
3 months later it collected dust 

d06e3e1d-329b-4fb5-b280-553d5aa9cd4e_1.1

I had one too. She was not part of the package. It’s now not being used at my wife’s cousin’s. We got a little cash, and he has too much space. 

Tennis is the only way I can trick myself into regular exercise. My sister (tall, thin, never smoked and walked miles a day) had a quadruple bypass younger than I am now. She was told to walk at least 10k steps daily. My son showed me at dinner last month my phone has been tracking that for years! I was pathetic! Often only 3-4k steps/day. I’m averaging 10k+ lately. The tennis helps a lot. 

I’ve joined and quit at least 3 gyms in the last 9 years. Do NOT sign up for anything with a year contract. Plenty of places will let you go month to month. 

Some people can like the convenience of working out at home and can do it. Some people prefer to get out of their house to work out.  I’ve done both, but prefer the latter.  Once I’m on my way out the door, I’m committed to my session. I tend to find other things to do at home and then (Oops!) it’s too late to get the work out in.  Plus there’s no wife or children pestering me for anything at the gym.  And I like to swim. My regiment is to alternate lifting with swimming and taking every 4th day off.  So it is lift-swim-lift-off-swim-lift-swim-off.  I throw in an extra day off if I’m fatigued, busy, out of town, etc.

11 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I had an exercise station once ....  
3 months later it collected dust 

d06e3e1d-329b-4fb5-b280-553d5aa9cd4e_1.1

Bummer!  You must have missed the fine print:

*Lady NOT included. 

I can imagine exercise station getting old pretty damn quick without a personal trainer to assist you on the BowFlex.

...BTW, nice addition, slipping under the radar with a well placed pic.  Smooth Ace! Real smooth.  You think that you are pretty slick...  But, I am watching you Focker:

620b58db8e042730020c24393f0be1c7.jpg

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

I had one too. She was not part of the package. It’s now not being used at my wife’s cousin’s. We got a little cash, and he has too much space. 

Tennis is the only way I can trick myself into regular exercise. My sister (tall, thin, never smoked and walked miles a day) had a quadruple bypass younger than I am now. She was told to walk at least 10k steps daily. My son showed me at dinner last month my phone has been tracking that for years! I was pathetic! Often only 3-4k steps/day. I’m averaging 10k+ lately. The tennis helps a lot. 

I’ve joined and quit at least 3 gyms in the last 9 years. Do NOT sign up for anything with a year contract. Plenty of places will let you go month to month. 

I just discovered that app as well a few weeks ago.  I was amazed how far back it went!  

Edited by Another Fan

Just now, Another Fan said:

I just discovered that app a few weeks ago.  I was amazed how far back it went!  

It’s funny how a gimmick like that can motivate you. A couple of the gyms we belonged to would require you to log in to each machine, then track how much you lifted, amount of cardio, etc. It did kind of push you to do more each time. The hard part can be finding the time. I used to run about 3 miles early before work. At first it seemed like a nuisance, and later I missed it when I couldn't get my run in.  

On 5/8/2019 at 9:59 AM, Another Fan said:

At the advice of a co worker last year I tried kickboxing out.  I tend to like it but the sessions aren’t usually at the most convenient times.  My membership is coming due and thinking about joining a gym instead.

Any members here?  How many times do you typically make it a week 

Belong to the JCC (not Jewish but its a good gym with good people that’s reasonable on-route to my office) and typically use Getzville location every workday AM.  

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Belong to the JCC (not Jewish but its a good gym with good people that’s reasonably on-route to my office) and typically use Getzville location every workday AM.  

you can't retract it in the shower, you'll stand out.

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Lol... but my parents still chose to have the infant “snip” never asked them why 

maybe James Bond has perfected the technique of holding it back...

it was getting less common for my  day, as an RH factor baby it wasn't recommended with the inherent troubles

and sorry for the context, but you will have to get used to male nudity at the gym, many men when they turn 60 stop caring any more and you better become a Jerry and not a Kramer or George

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Belong to the JCC (not Jewish but its a good gym with good people that’s reasonably on-route to my office) and typically use Getzville location every workday AM.  

That’s where I work out.  It’d be quite the commute for you though, AF. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

A career? I’ve thought about this quite a bit sir and I would have to say considering what’s waiting out there for me, I don’t want to sell anything, buy anything or process anything as a career. I don’t want to sell anything bought or processed or buy anything sold or processed or repair anything sold, bought or processed as a career. I don’t want to do that. My father’s in the army. He wants me to join, but I can’t work for that corporation, so what I’ve been doing lately is kick-boxing, which is a new sport…as far as career longevity, I don’t really know. I can’t figure it all out tonight, sir, so I’m just gonna hang with your daughter.

Aside from the fact that Llyod Dobler is just the man, how is it he's gotten no credit for accurately predicting the rise of MMA??

• Like (+1) 2

I am another home gym fan. I had various memberships over the years and they were useful. One of the gyms was 24/7 as well and that was fantastic.

Now I have kids and no ability to just take off. So I invested in a dumbbell set from 5-100 in increments of 5 lbs, a commercial bench,  and a rack. I also was gifted a pully/Smith type machine. All of this stuff was found used and relatively cheap. I've added different bars, a couple kettle weights, and other stuff.

I have found my dedication to working out to be 100 times more consistent with the home gym. My life is crazy with work and 3 little kids. When the dust settles at 9 pm and everyone is asleep, it's the best way to decompress. I'm alone, I'm watching what I want on the tv, and I am pounding out sets. The dog is there though, it's his time too.

I don't have a gym membership, but this past winter, my wife took a bunch of exercise equipment from her step dad. An elliptical machine, a treadmill and a weight bench. As well as some other exercise stuff (light weights, exercise ball etc). I litterally have a home gym in my basement. None of it has been used, and none of it will ever be used. I begged my wife not to take this crap. Getting the elliptical machine into our basement was a monumental task. Now all this junk is just rotting in our basement. I want to sell it all so bad, but my wife won't let me. It's litterally going to sit there for the next 10 years. Thing is, I'd use it. I actually enjoy exercising, but with kids and work etc, it's just not possible at the moment