Anyone belong to a gym?

At the advice of a co worker last year I tried kickboxing out.  I tend to like it but the sessions aren’t usually at the most convenient times.  My membership is coming due and thinking about joining a gym instead.

Any members here?  How many times do you typically make it a week 

If you have any space at all, I would suggest home workouts.  They will give you a much better workout than you would get at a gym on your own, much cheaper, and saves loads of time.

Beachbody has a good app, with workouts for everyone.  You can get a great workout in like 25 minutes/day.  I believe they have a trial period as well.

And no, Im not a 'coach' or anything like that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I just gave mine up because I never went. Waste of $$$ for me. I have several friends who are, or have, done Crossfit. Seems simple enough and the effort (time) doesn't appear to be that great. I hear Crossfit gyms are expensive though, but the results seem pretty darn good. 

Go 6 days a week. Get the $20/month it costs me back on showers alone. Just needs to be part of your daily routine. Just a word of advice, if you're not a morning person, don't make your workout time before work. Might last for a few weeks but you'll never make it long term, especially when the cold weather hits. Evander Hollyfield used to say it's tough to go jogging at 6:00 AM when you're wearing silk pajamas. Before retiring I was usually lucky enough to have managers that let me come in early, leave late, and take a 2 hour lunch when I went to the gym. Fringe benefit of this is people see you there when they come in and when they leave...no one notices the length of your lunch.

Especially for folks wrangling having small kids, it’s quite difficult to break away to the gym at convenient times, to say nothing of trying to trade off caregiving with your spouse—so I’ve converted part of our unfinished basement to a home gym (good used equipment can always be found for decent prices from your neighbors/communities at large), complete with tiled foam flooring that was cheap at Walmart. Added a tv to the wall, and voila, it’s a refuge anytime of day or night without the worry of leaving the house. If you have the space available, would highly recommend this route. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

If you have any space at all, I would suggest home workouts.  They will give you a much better workout than you would get at a gym on your own, much cheaper, and saves loads of time.

I am a national YMCA member so can go to one when traveling. I try to go 5 times a week for an hour each visit whether at home or traveling. I work intensely for that hour...not there to socialize. I can understand the convenience of having equipment at home. When I go to the Y there are no distractions. Well, besides fit girls in shorts & spandex but I digress.

I disgree with this part of your post because the equipment, sauna, pool at the Y is more varied than what I could afford to purchase. In addition, they maintain their equipment

1 minute ago, Mr Info said:

I am a national YMCA member so can go to one when traveling. I try to go 5 times a week for an hour each visit whether at home or traveling. I work intensely for that hour...not there to socialize. I can understand the convenience of having equipment at home. When I go to the Y there are no distractions. Well, besides fit girls in shorts & spandex but I digress.

I disgree with this part of your post because the equipment, sauna, pool at the Y is more varied than what I could afford to purchase. In addition, they maintain their equipment

Well yeah.  If I want to swim, I cant in our basement.  I also do not own a sauna, but don't really desire that.

I understand if a club offers something you feel like you need/want.  Some people just like to go.  For me, I just want a workout.  

Home workouts with a 'follow the leader' type of deal with a trainer using mostly gravity and body weight.... set to a timer to work quickly and efficiently, are much better than a beginner or even someone who is moderately versed on gym equipment.... doing "chest day" and spending 25 minutes on an elliptical.  Most of the workouts are based on Core-Strength, and that is something most amateur gym-goers do not develop.

The most important ingredient is DIET anyways.  The exercise part is just showing up and actuating your muscles.  Jumping down into the basement and flipping on a 25-30 min video to me breaks down the whole barrier of driving to and from a place, trying to analyze when it is 'crowded', etc.  Especially with spouses who work full time and 2 very young kids.  Just cant carve out 1-2 hours a day.  

I have a basement gym.  Had it set up when it was unfinished... but had the basement finished with a half-open gym room with a pullup bar, mounted TV in the corner, adjustable dumbbells (with the dial), adjustable bench, and semi-professional lockable flooring.  Have a shelf with all sorts of other items like weighted gloves, resistance bands, DVDs, etc...  That, and going for a job gives me everything I could ever need. 

• Like (+1) 1

i got 3-4 times a week.  no less than 3.  the gym i go to now has evolved into a planet fitness, which i don't love but works.  it's right in between my home and work, and for 10 bucks a month it's hard to complain about.

there's a couple of things with gyms.  you really have to make it convenient to get to.  the harder it is, the less you'll go, (unless you're really dedicated).  i'm not someone who can workout at home, mostly due to equipment, but also i find myself more motivated to move around when i'm out of my house.  if you do mostly cardio, i think the home workout can be pulled off, but i do weights mostly, and i need a gym.

my wife does orange theory, but the schedule is such a pain in the ass.  it's such specific times that it's hard to live life around it sometimes.  with a gym, you can just walk in when the time is there.  i tend to go around 7 in the morning on weekends, and a couple of later afternoons.  as nohuddle mentioned, kids make it tougher, but the gym has to become a habit.  if i don't go for a week, i feel sluggish and gross.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, teef said:

i got 3-4 times a week.  no less than 3.  the gym i go to now has evolved into a planet fitness, which i don't love but works.  it's right in between my home and work, and for 10 bucks a month it's hard to complain about.

there's a couple of things with gyms.  you really have to make it convenient to get to.  the harder it is, the less you'll go, (unless you're really dedicated).  i'm not someone who can workout at home, mostly due to equipment, but also i find myself more motivated to move around when i'm out of my house.  if you do mostly cardio, i think the home workout can be pulled off, but i do weights mostly, and i need a gym.

my wife does orange theory, but the schedule is such a pain in the ass.  it's such specific times that it's hard to live life around it sometimes.  with a gym, you can just walk in when the time is there.  i tend to go around 7 in the morning on weekends, and a couple of later afternoons.  as nohuddle mentioned, kids make it tougher, but the gym has to become a habit.  if i don't go for a week, i feel sluggish and gross.  

so,  is it safe to say   Its a cake walk?   

:ph34r:

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

so,  is it safe to say   Its a cake walk?   

:ph34r:

it's the cakiest of walks out there.

30 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

this is the key too.  i'm in and out in an hour/hour fifteen.  i don't want to talk or deal with anyone.  i don't even give myself for than 30 secs to a minute between sets.  some people just sit around on their phones or talking to others.  it stretches the process out, but for some people, i guess that's the appeal.

we've thought about using the Y for family activities.  They're actually building the biggest or second biggest Y in the country not too far away from me.  my wife is all over that, but i don't think i want anything to do with it.

i think everyone has the right idea when it comes to diet.  the older you get, the more important it is.  things in moderation, no eating after 8, tons of water, limit the drinking, etc.  at this point, i just want to look good with my clothes off.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

at this point, i just want to look good with my clothes off.

You should start a new thread and post weekly pictures of your progress.  Maybe add a "Would Ya?" Poll at the top.

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You should start a new thread and post weekly pictures of your progress.  Maybe add a "Would Ya?" Poll at the top.

is it wrong that i love this idea?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1