Buffalo Bills TE Tommy Sweeney is a 70's throwback

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I wanted to be one of the guys  who puts information up early in a thread (yes, I have @YoloinOhio envy!).  I might have been the 2nd or 3rd guy in on the Sweeney thread and I grabbed the first link I found and put it up.

...THEN I looked at the video that was in the article in the link and I was a little bit stunned.  I mean...the kid had hands in this video...nice hands.  Sure, less of a body of work, but it was nicer "whoa!" video than some of the WRs drafted earlier than him.

In my rush to be early on a guy I knew NOTHING ABOUT I accidentally stumbled across what makes this kid a late round gem.

Please, TSW, if you haven't by now go and watch some video on this kid.  It will make you like him and like and appreciate our drafting room even more.

you are 100% correct. I just did this and I went from basically not caring about a 7th round pick to being fairly excited about what he may offer.

huge target! He seemed to take a hit on about 80% of his catches and hold onto the ball. intriguing for sure!

2 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Waiting to see who will be the 1st one to try and compare him to Nick O'Leary......

I heard Sweeney's grandfather once watched Jack Nicklaus win the Masters on television...

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I heard Sweeney's grandfather once watched Jack Nicklaus win the Masters on television...

does sweeney play with gloves? cause that was a big deal.  They both ran pretty similar 40 times.  Big lumbering physical guys

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

does sweeney play with gloves? cause that was a big deal.  They both ran pretty similar 40 times.  Big lumbering physical guys

Sweeney doesn't need gloves. He doesn't even need both hands...

#TheLegendOfSweeneyBegins

4 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I'd like to see Kroft, Knox and Sweeney make the roster. I don't think Croom and Fisher are all that great.

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing how the Fisher experiment works out. Obviously, he can block. 

8 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Nick O'Leary - 4.93     Tommy Sweeney - 4.83   Neither is a blazer, but Sweeney is enough faster to make a difference.  Weight is very similar - pretty average for a TE.  Sweeney has an inch on O'Leary in height.  The biggest difference in measurables between the two is probably arm length.  Sweeney has decent arm length at a little under 33 inches.  O'Leary's arms are a full 3 inches shorter

I'm going to agree they keep 4 TEs. Mostly because even after the WR signings, there are still only 4 legit NFL WRs on the roster. 

I think they will keep Kroft, Knox, Croom, and Fisher.  The first three can get open and only Kroft can block a little. That means the last spot will go to a pure blocker in Fisher. I think Sweeney will be a PS guy.

41 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Nick O'Leary - 4.93     Tommy Sweeney - 4.83   Neither is a blazer, but Sweeney is enough faster to make a difference.  Weight is very similar - pretty average for a TE.  Sweeney has an inch on O'Leary in height.  The biggest difference in measurables between the two is probably arm length.  Sweeney has decent arm length at a little under 33 inches.  O'Leary's arms are a full 3 inches shorter

Adding better athleticism gives you at least 6 more inches in catch radius measurements over O'Leary

2 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Thanks Perez Hilton.

Any idea on where Josh Allen was vacationing in April?

You and I both know he was with you in April. Stop trying to get me to bring it up on the boards, name droppa! 

I’m just saying Croom’s current girlfriend sitch better not play into the  depth chart. 

5 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I'd like to see Kroft, Knox and Sweeney make the roster. I don't think Croom and Fisher are all that great.

Knox is making the roster, you're not trading two picks for a guy and then cutting him or practice squad.

Beane and staff did their home work, he probably will be the starter mid season.

Just from his highlight reel, though I guess that was most of his catches last year:

• Hands look great.
  • But man is he a lumberer. It's a bit painful watching him try to make any kind of cut or move.
  • He also seems to get hit HARD.  He doesn't go down right away, but the first hit seems to cave him in and he sort of flails around and stumbles, usually going to ground pretty soon. Doesn't seem to deliver many blows the other way. (Again, maybe a blocking cutup would show him as a punisher - don't know, but I doubt it.)

He doesn't really feel like an NFL athlete to me. Except for those hands. Which may be enough with old rocket arm Josh. I predict practice squad.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

7 minutes ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

Just from his highlight reel, though I guess that was most of his catches last year:

• Hands look great.
  • But man is he a lumberer. It's a bit painful watching him try to make any kind of cut or move.
  • He also seems to get hit HARD.  He doesn't go down right away, but the first hit seems to cave him in and he sort of flails around and stumbles, usually going to ground pretty soon. Doesn't seem to deliver many blows the other way. (Again, maybe a blocking cutup would show him as a punisher - don't know, but I doubt it.)

He doesn't really feel like an NFL athlete to me. Except for those hands. Which may be enough with old rocket arm Josh. I predict practice squad.

I agree with this assessment, but I wonder if/hope an NFL weight room might do something to help his explosiveness.  BC primarily runs the ball so maybe he hasn't conditioned his body that way yet.  That would be great considering his hands (the full layout catch was very nice).

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Count me in....?

as far as 7th round picks go, he has a good chance to make the team.  you can't only look at numbers because bc is such a run oriented team.  on top of that, he hasn't exactly had the best qbs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1