Buffalo Bills TE Tommy Sweeney is a 70's throwback

4 minutes ago, GG said:

Catching ability & ball security.

Sure we can use improvement, but didn't remember yelling and throwing things at screen everytime he was on field like i did with Clay the last few years.. lol. Front office did some good things though. Went out and signed some guys that will compete, and the best guys will play. Go Bills!

Sweeney reminds a little of Nick O'Leary.  O'Leary couldn't run very fast and didn't have great form in blocking, but he still found a way to snag his share of passes, and would make a valiant attempt at blocking.  I think Sweeney has the potential to be better than O'Leary.  He's not "athletic" per se, but he's faster than O'Leary.  He's bigger and, I think somewhat faster, and a much better blocker.  I think Knox sticks on potential, but Sweeney might be a TE Buffalo can rely on right now.  I think it's shaping up to be a really good competition.  Croom has improved considerably since he first signed on with the Bills, and is continuing to work at getting stronger and improving his blocking.  Fisher is the real unknown.  You expect he's going to be a great blocker, but I suspect Buffalo would like more from him.  How much can Fisher factor in as a pass catcher?  That might be a key to his making the team.

2 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Sure we can use improvement, but didn't remember yelling and throwing things at screen everytime he was on field like i did with Clay the last few years.. lol. Front office did some good things though. Went out and signed some guys that will compete, and the best guys will play. Go Bills!

Expectations were much higher for Clay, while Croom was a side piece.   Clay is a much better TE, but was hurt and overpaid.   There's a reason Beane went so heavy to restock the position.  At this point, Croom is on the outside looking in.   We knew his blocking was going to be weak coming in from WR, but it should be concerning that his catching is also suspect.

• Like (+1) 1

I loved what I saw from that Combine video, he used his hands to catch and didn’t let the ball get in on him. I don’t know how good Fisher’s hands are but I would think that these 2 are the same type of TEs. If so I would think Fisher would be the odd man out because I expect the Bills to keep 4 TEs this year. Btw, I like Croom for what he is, he’s a pass catching TE and I think that he does a good job of that.

1 hour ago, CNYfan said:

Croom is a good player.  He gets open down the field.  

He is a great receiving TE but if he doesn’t block I can’t see him making this team next year. Training camp and pre season will be fun to watch at the TE position.

28 minutes ago, HOUSE said:
I see little difference here

Image result for rob gronkowski

Related image

Maybe last years Gronk, when he ran like a Hippo...

Sweeney looks very clunky when he runs- likely not the best athlete. Gronk, in his prime, was a smooth sunofabench. 

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Tight end room looking a little crowded these days. Isn’t Croom dating a Pegula?

This could become an awkward situation pretty quickly. 

Thanks Perez Hilton.

Any idea on where Josh Allen was vacationing in April?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

I think we're looking at Kroft, Croom and a battle between Sweeney and Dawson for the roster spot. Loser goes to the PS. I can see Fisher getting cut.

I think there is little chance Knox makes it to the PS.  Someone would probably pick him up.  

I think we drop Dimarco and keep 4 TE's.  Fisher and Sweeney battling for the last spot but Fisher loses pretty clearly.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

If we cut Croom, he won’t be unemployed long. It also means we got a lot better at TE!

I'm okay with keeping4 TEs. I'd cut the FB, though McDermott seems to favor the fella.

3 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I think there is little chance Knox makes it to the PS.  Someone would probably pick him up.  

I think we drop Dimarco and keep 4 TE's.  Fisher and Sweeney battling for the last spot but Fisher loses pretty clearly.

Ahh, answered the other page. What this guy says^^^

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Side note: I think lots are sleeping on Tyler Kroft. Hes a 4.6 40 guy that can block. He prob starts for us this year.

And he's like the tallest guy on the football field. And he caught the quietest 7 td's in the league a couple of years ago. I think Kroft could really open some eyes this year if he stays healthy. 

I also like Sweeney and his fun uncle from the 80's look.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I don’t know what to make of Knox.  Looks like an overgrown WR. Incredible athelete for a tight end bigger dude. Can’t find anything about his blocking though 

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I don’t know what to make of Knox.  Looks like an overgrown WR. Incredible athelete for a tight end bigger dude. Can’t find anything about his blocking though 

I've heard good things about his blocking (I'll try to find reference) which was surprising to me since he was a former QB.  I think both of these TEs were good pick ups.  It was a very good year for TEs so hopefully we found 2 good ones.

2 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Why all the Croom hate? I thought he looked pretty decent towards end of season. Def more of a pass catcher then blocker, but seemed like some skill we could tap into and develop there. Worst case for him, he doesn't develop, is cut, but marries into billions. Lucky ass mofo... ?

Side note: I think lots are sleeping on Tyler Kroft. Hes a 4.6 40 guy that can block. He prob starts for us this year.

Kroft and Knox seem very similar 

Just now, YattaOkasan said:

I've heard good things about his blocking (I'll try to find reference) which was surprising to me since he was a former QB.  I think both of these TEs were good pick ups.  It was a very good year for TEs so hopefully we found 2 good ones.

Great! They really did upgrade tight end. Won’t miss Clay