Buffalo Bills TE Tommy Sweeney is a 70's throwback

Bills pick Tommy Sweeney gets high praise from Kiper, McShay

The tight end was taken in the 7th round

WGR_TalentImage_SalCapaccio_775x425.png?
Sal Capaccio
May 07, 2019 - 10:12 pm
Sweeney.jpg?ZLs8eQclIDmiwEX1_Ax1N7HKfiFQA6HA&itok=VacW43a9&c=2772d67a31066ebc12f82c5f1451faed

Jim Rogash/Getty Images

The last of the Buffalo Bills' eight draft picks from last month got a lot of praise this week from two prominent NFL Draft analysts.

In the most recent episode of ESPN’s “First Draft” podcast with Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, and host Chris Sprow, the trio were recapping the draft when the subject of tight ends came up.  Here’s how the exchange went:

Sprow: “Tommy Sweeney, in the 228th pick, goes to the Buffalo Bills.”

Kiper: “Todd loves him.”

Sprow: “But Todd, Mel goes, ‘he might have some of the best hands in this entire draft.’ At (pick) 228!”

Kiper: “Josh Allen is a flamethrower. He’s Randy Johnson.  That’s who I compared him to in baseball.  So, you’ve got to have a guy who is able to adjust and be able to have great hand-eye coordination, and that’s what Tommy Sweeney has.  He may lumber a bit, but his hands are as good as anybody’s in this draft.”

McShay: “Short to intermediate he’s going to be there for you.  He’s (also) going to block for you.”

Kiper: “He’s a throwback.”

McShay: “He’s one of the highest character, football-loving dude’s in the class.”

Kiper: “Yeah, in the 1970’s and 80’s he probably would have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick.”

The 6’ 5”, 260 pound Sweeney caught 99 passes for 1281 yards and 10 touchdowns in four years at Boston College.  He was the second tight end the Bills chose after also selecting Mississippi’s Dawson Knox in the fourth round.  Both players will join the rest of their fellow draft class, as well as undrafted free agents and other first-year players at the team’s rookie minicamp in Orchard Park this weekend.

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

He has good hands and can catch lasers?  Sign him up.  Sucks that he went to BC, but Milano worked out for us.  Croom sucks, but he has an angel looking over his shoulder (he’s still dating the pegulas daughter?). That shouldn’t be allowed Btw, conflict of interests 

Why all the Croom hate? I thought he looked pretty decent towards end of season. Def more of a pass catcher then blocker, but seemed like some skill we could tap into and develop there. Worst case for him, he doesn't develop, is cut, but marries into billions. Lucky ass mofo... ?

Side note: I think lots are sleeping on Tyler Kroft. Hes a 4.6 40 guy that can block. He prob starts for us this year.

Edited by badassgixxer05
  • Like (+1) 7

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

I'd like to see Kroft, Knox and Sweeney make the roster. I don't think Croom and Fisher are all that great.

If we cut Croom, he won’t be unemployed long. It also means we got a lot better at TE!

• Like (+1) 2

I wanted to be one of the guys  who puts information up early in a thread (yes, I have @YoloinOhio envy!).  I might have been the 2nd or 3rd guy in on the Sweeney thread and I grabbed the first link I found and put it up.

...THEN I looked at the video that was in the article in the link and I was a little bit stunned.  I mean...the kid had hands in this video...nice hands.  Sure, less of a body of work, but it was nicer "whoa!" video than some of the WRs drafted earlier than him.

In my rush to be early on a guy I knew NOTHING ABOUT I accidentally stumbled across what makes this kid a late round gem.

Please, TSW, if you haven't by now go and watch some video on this kid.  It will make you like him and like and appreciate our drafting room even more.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

1 hour ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Why all the Croom hate? I thought he looked pretty decent towards end of season. Def more of a pass catcher then blocker, but seemed like some skill we could tap into and develop there. Worst case for him, he doesn't develop, is cut, but marries into billions. Lucky ass mofo... ?

Side note: I think lots are sleeping on Tyler Kroft. Hes a 4.6 40 guy that can block. He prob starts for us this year.

Catching ability & ball security.