The Athletic: "Ed Oliver’s longtime coach on his fit with Buffalo and those ‘crazy’ maturity questions"

Interesting interview with multiple Qs and As, but here's the most relevant one:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/962885/2019/05/06/a-j-blum-qa-ed-olivers-longtime-coach-on-his-fit-with-buffalo-and-those-crazy-maturity-questions/%3famp

The Bills have said they are going to make him a three-technique in their defense. How do you think he’ll transition to that? What are some of the challenges that come with that move?

I think it’s going to be amazing. I had been telling Ed all along after the pro day, seeing the head coach and GM at his pro day, I was like, wow, this is the real deal. I went back and did some research and I had been telling Ed all along that from a scheme standpoint of every team that’s interested in you, Buffalo is probably the best fit. When we were in high school, I called 46 games with Ed playing three-technique or 2i, basically what he’s going to be playing in Buffalo. It’s going to be amazing. It just is. You can say all you want about him playing the zero-technique in the three down that we had at Houston, but he was very active. He stunted probably 70 percent of the time. I think the thing that’s going to be awesome is you’re not going to have to stunt him as much because he’s going to be on the outside shoulder or inside shoulder of that guard, and it’s going to allow him to really use his skills in a one-on-one situation. I’m sure he’ll get his fair share of double teams, but it will be a lot less than he got at Houston.

I think it’s going to be amazing. I know he’s excited. I think it’s going to be really good. From a standpoint of what he needs to get better at, he is such a natural with his speed and explosiveness that a lot of times he defeats blocks by his get off, not so much side-stepping his blocker but by being a penetrator. When you’re a penetrator, you don’t necessarily have the use of great hand placement and block disengagement, but he’s going to be in situations, where that’s going to be one of the biggest things. Having worked with him for seven years, that’s going to be one of the biggest things he’ll have to refine as a skill, is just staying on that edge and being able to get off that block. People want to compare him to Aaron Donald, but he and Aaron Donald are two completely different players. Aaron Donald bench-pressed 550 pounds in college. That’s why he’s so good at getting off blocks. He gets that separation and he can still control and get off blocks. A guy like Ed, he’s punching a guy so fast and moving by him that he was able to get away with it. That’s going to be one of the biggest things that he’s going to have refine. Attack, lock out and then disengage. Just getting off those blocks. His feet are going to be great. His speed is going to be great. It’s just about controlling it and staying in that gap.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I honestly believe that if we make the playoffs this season, Oliver and Ford will be amongst the major contributors.

My fear of not making the playoffs this year is more about our ability to remain injury free and being victims of bad officiating. I have no doubt that this roster will be doing serious damage to all opponents in the very near future.

• Like (+1) 7

That is a good read.  In regards to the handwork, that’s going to be a big transition. His coach is saying Oliver was able to use his speed in college to his advantage over o linemen. In the pro’s Oliver will need to develop his hand technique to become a dominant player.  I believe Oliver did  225 pounds 32 times at vs Danold’s 35 times. Oliver sounds plenty strong enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

I honestly believe that if we make the playoffs this season, Oliver and Ford will be amongst the major contributors.

My fear of not making the playoffs this year is more about our ability to remain injury free and being victims of bad officiating. I have no doubt that this roster will be doing serious damage to all opponents in the very near future.

Every team gets injured, that’s why Beane built tremendous depth on this entire roster. His approach to free agency wasn’t the norm. I’m so interested in seeing what approach will be more valuable, the Jets or Bills. 

I think that if the Quarterback stays healthy we will trounce the 6.5 o/u.  

My experience is that the rookies need almost a half of a season to show their stuff.   The LB the Bears took last year (Roquan) who was so highly pitched took 7/8 games to show up.  But he did, and that is what I am looking for from EO.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

the font boss the font !!!!

I see topics of style and technique ... 

wheres the maturity questions?  

Maturity?    Prove it by staying out of trouble for the next 4 months 

It's a paid subscription website so I just posted that snippet so as not to violate CoC.

The rest of the interview talks about maturity and other stuff.

10 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

I totally get, and, for that matter agree w the injury bug. Its been a season crusher to teams before and ya never know. Bad officiating though? Thats like living in NYC and being worried about going to work bc a piano could fall on your head. It is what it is and you deal. Furthermore,  a good team is good enough where a bunk call here and there doesnt ruin the season or even crush the game. For the most part all that stuff seems to even out as things play out and the season moves along

Glad we didn't get Bell and Brown.  Jets and OKL are having maturity problems with both already.  He seemed all in when drafted and the kind of guy who is humble and will just go about doing his job.  Ford the same thing.

18 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

That is a good read.  In regards to the handwork, that’s going to be a big transition. His coach is saying Oliver was able to use his speed in college to his advantage over o linemen. In the pro’s Oliver will need to develop his hand technique to become a dominant player.  I believe Oliver did  225 pounds 32 times at vs Danold’s 35 times. Oliver sounds plenty strong enough. 

They are about the same size.  Oliver is a better athlete.  He was coming out of Highschool.  It's a 3 star athlete in Donald vs 5 star athlete in Oliver.  Donald learned great technique to win, Oliver used his great athletic ability for the most part.  If Oliver was more polished, he would have been drafted top 5.  

6 hours ago, Mat68 said:

They are about the same size.  Oliver is a better athlete.  He was coming out of Highschool.  It's a 3 star athlete in Donald vs 5 star athlete in Oliver.  Donald learned great technique to win, Oliver used his great athletic ability for the most part.  If Oliver was more polished, he would have been drafted top 5.  

Or maybe he intentionally had bad interviews and rub teams the wrong way so he would fall to Buf.  Why he fell has nothing to do with his play.  He was a 3 time All-American and dispite playing a position he wasnt suited for he was still disruptive.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

18 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

I totally get, and, for that matter agree w the injury bug. Its been a season crusher to teams before and ya never know. Bad officiating though? Thats like living in NYC and being worried about going to work bc a piano could fall on your head. It is what it is and you deal. Furthermore,  a good team is good enough where a bunk call here and there doesnt ruin the season or even crush the game. For the most part all that stuff seems to even out as things play out and the season moves along

Tell that to Sean Payton and the Saints...

Tell that KC about the phantom personal foul on Brady...

We aren't the only tin foil hat wearers out there... maybe for good reason. 

Edited by ROCBillsBeliever

40 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Tell that to Sean Payton and the Saints...

Tell that KC about the phantom personal foul on Brady...

We aren't the only tin foil hat wearers out there... maybe for good reason. 

I suppose, but personally, i wasnt thinking about it in terms of a blown call away from the superbowl. If its in terms of the season being a success or not, its hard to see bad officiating being a reason. If the Bills encountered any of the above senerios - the season would still be a success bc they got to that point, no?

2 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

I suppose, but personally, i wasnt thinking about it in terms of a blown call away from the superbowl. If its in terms of the season being a success or not, its hard to see bad officiating being a reason. If the Bills encountered any of the above senerios - the season would still be a success bc they got to that point, no?

Well, I'd say that in light of the the squad we had last year, and the QB question lingering throughout the season, our 6 and 10 record was a success. We weren't the 2 or 4 win team almost everyone predicted. 

Wherever a team lands in the standings, bad calls can still influence their W/L totals. We weren't going to make the playoffs last year; Jerry Hughes should have had more sacks and holding penalties called against OL trying to block him (for one, egregious example). Would those calls have translated into wins? Debatable. 

4 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He may have even flat out told them he really wanted to go to Buf.  Ive finally had a chance to watch more tape and Id take him over Williams.

that would be awesome for a player to ruin chances with other teams so his dream of Buffalo could come true.

• Haha (+1) 1