Amari Cooper Extension

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Dak is a tough old decision for Dallas. It really is. He has all the intangibles.... does he have the tangibles is the question? 

The only way I'd pay Dak that kind of money is if there was no other option.  What's the upcoming QB FA class looking like?

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

There won't be anyone as good as Dak. 

That's still a hell of a lot of money.  Elliott makes that offense go far more than Prescott does.

Edited by Gugny

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

That's still a hell of a lot of money.  Elliott makes that offense go far more than Prescott does.

I totally agree. It is. But the likely alternative is get worse at Quarterback because the Cowboys are going to be too good to be in position to draft one at the top of the draft. Derek Carr got that sort of money. Kurt Cousins got that kind of money. That is what capable NFL QBs are making. Dak is a capable NFL QB. He is a brilliant leader, good in the clutch, and a calm, calculated decision maker. He doesn't have the most talent but he wins. 

And that is why it is such a tough decision. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Much better clutch player than Tyrod. 

Meh, I guess.  He's a mediocre passer running a very low wattage offensive scheme behind a dominant defense. He protects the ball but doesn't score much.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Meh, I guess.  He's a mediocre passer running a very low wattage offensive scheme behind a dominant defense. He protects the ball but doesn't score much.

He has his limitations as a passer. No doubt. And he is more a game manager than a game winner I agree... but he is better in the clutch and a really good leader who his guys clearly rally round. I think more Alex Smith than Tyrod Taylor but I think the decision whether to pay him or not is a very, very tough one.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

A dominant defense?  Dallas?

They were good in some aspects, but that's pretty serious hyperbole.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

He has his limitations as a passer. No doubt. And he is more a game manager than a game winner I agree... but he is better in the clutch and a really good leader who his guys clearly rally round. I think more Alex Smith than Tyrod Taylor but I think the decision whether to pay him or not is a very, very tough one.

I agree.  Jerry isn't going to back up the truck for an Amari Cooper now only to see another 22 TD season, 22 ranked offense with Prescott next year.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

A dominant defense?  Dallas?

They were good in some aspects, but that's pretty serious hyperbole.

Seriously, they were 6th and 7th in points and yards allowed.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I agree.  Jerry isn't going to back up the truck for an Amari Cooper now only to see another 22 TD season, 22 ranked offense with Prescott next year.

Seriously, they were 6th and 7th in points and yards allowed.

If ranking 6th/7th qualifies as "dominant", then someone redefined the word and didn't tell me. Being in the top quartile is good, maybe even great.  Dominant is definitely hyperbole.

I would expect a dominant defense to be better than 27th in 3rd down conversion rate allowed, 16th in sacks, and 16th in takeaways. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

If ranking 6th/7th qualifies as "dominant", then someone redefined the word and didn't tell me. Being in the top quartile is good, maybe even great.  Dominant is definitely hyperbole.

I would expect a dominant defense to be better than 27th in 3rd down conversion rate allowed, 16th in sacks, and 16th in takeaways. 

Sacks are cool.  No one had more than the Chiefs and their Defense sucked.  They forced a lot of turnovers too.  Still their defense was bad.

Takeaways?  Team like Miami had lots.  Defense sucked.

Teams couldn't stop the points.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's a large Tyrod Taylor

Similar play styles but I do think that Dak is a bit better of a playmaker on third down. But both Dak and Tyrod are very conservative, make plays with their legs, reach low levels of turnovers, and both don't work that great out of the pocket. Tyrod however was only solid on third down while Dak is really good. 

In regards to Cooper I think most teams would have just let him play out the season and then franchise him if he had another good year. However with Dak also requiring an extension it makes that sort of safe play it out option less likely. In the end I think Jerry is more likely to lock in his QB and then reserve the franchise tag for Cooper. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think you see him get something like 5 years 140-something.

About 60 guaranteed and a good bit of that signing bonus. Can escape without future guaranteed dollars after 2 years, dead money much better after 3 and the final 2 end up ok value by the time you get to them and another round of guys has signed new deals 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Sacks are cool.  No one had more than the Chiefs and their Defense sucked.  They forced a lot of turnovers too.  Still their defense was bad.

Takeaways?  Team like Miami had lots.  Defense sucked.

Teams couldn't stop the points.

I agree that none of the teams you mentioned had dominating defenses either.