Which of these do we need to retire first?

Cliche  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Which needs to go more?

3 hours ago, TigerJ said:

So, he shouldn't borrow a philosophical position on how to run a team from the most successful college coach of all time?

No you shouldn't.

college and NFL is apples to oranges in regard to championships.

In the past champions were "voted" in.

since beginning of time all the best top players go to the same 5 programs. Just like Duke in basketball.

if you can not have success getting all the top athletes in your sport every year like these top programs get then you are not a good coach. Or even average.

Patriots would win every Super Bowl into infinity if they got the top 10 drafted players every year and top 5 free agents every year like Alabama effectively does.

Edited by cba fan

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

No you shouldn't.

college and NFL is apples to oranges in regard to championships.

In the past champions were "voted" in.

since beginning of time all the best top players go to the same 5 programs. Just like Duke in basketball.

if you can not have success getting all the top athletes in your sport every year like these top programs get then you are not a good coach. Or even average.

Patriots would win every Super Bowl into infinity if they got the top 10 drafted players every year and top 5 free agents every year like Alabama effectively does.

The flip side to that is that the college coaching job is a combination of coaching and GM. The overall “program” isn’t much different from the NFL. The NFL has taken a big page from college recently in terms of “recruiting (hence the new facility). You need to create an environment that maximizes the player’s value and satisfaction. The Bills signed the most FA (I think) and NO ONE would argue that it’s a prime FA destination. It’s the infrastructure in place that allows them to attract guys that the Bengals can’t. Alabama couldn’t recruit with David Shula, Notre Dame with Bob Davies, the Bills with Modrak/Guy, UM with Brady Hoke, and now you are seeing it at USC. It isn’t that different. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Also, I’m removing “McClappy” from the poll. It isn’t used anywhere near as often as the other 2 and is kind of an “easy out” because it’s meant to be insulting. Which saying that people use (that sucks) needs to go? It is Process vs. McBeane

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This poll is the closet race ever.  I think we need a state no one wants to live in to decide it (I kid!). 

We have a couple of evenly matched candidates that no one wants to win. It’s the 2016 election all over...

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

"Chip on their shoulder"

My father has ALWAYS been the guy with a chip on his shoulder just daring you to knock it off, cuz he will kick you and your three buddies asses if you do (so the legend goes).

So, it is a good cliche, but definately over used and inappropriate for most.

Pops is 69 and lives with me now so I have heard the tales 2000 times lol. Angry SOB wanted to throw down with some young bucks over his fishing spot last weekend!

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Yeah, I'm a fan of McBeane, it's a combination of the two dudes running this team. Easier than always saying, "Beane and McDermott."

That’s what I hate about it. They have different jobs!! We don’t refer to Josh Allen and Jerry Hughes as “Hallen.” 

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, without a drought said:

I hope everyone realizes that McBeane is not a cliche. It takes a little more than something just said too often.

Might as well remove that one from the poll also.

Or just change the title to, “which of these is worse?” That will hopefully appease the grammar police. 

I don't mind trust the process because I trust the process.  I don't mind McBeane because I like having a GM & HC working together to make us a contender for the first time in 20 years.  McBeane is also good for not getting sucked into arguments over which of McDermott or Beane was directly responsible for this or that.  Was Ed Oliver McDermott's guy, or Beane's guy?  In truth, he was McBeane's.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

I don't mind trust the process because I trust the process.  I don't mind McBeane because I like having a GM & HC working together to make us a contender for the first time in 20 years.  McBeane is also good for not getting sucked into arguments over which of McDermott or Beane was directly responsible for this or that.  Was Ed Oliver McDermott's guy, or Beane's guy?  In truth, he was McBeane's.

This is where we are in 100% disagreement. The scouting staff prepares the reports. The personnel department analyzes the players and the GM picks the guy that they want. The Bills are certainly collaborative but personnel decisions are made by Beane’s team. Joe Schoen and Dan Morgan ABSOLUTELY have a bigger say in that room than McDermott. That’s always the case. They aren’t interchangeable despite their collaboration.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, without a drought said:

Who said anything about grammar?

“Grammar Police” has commonly been used around here to refer to those taking issue with something other than the topic. You took issue with “cliche” applying to McBeane. One of the definitions of “cliche” is “something that has become overly familiar or commonplace.” I would say that McBeane, especially in these parts, would meet that definition. 

On 5/7/2019 at 2:47 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

Now that we have reached peak offseason it feels like a good time for some spring cleaning. Which of these 2 gets voted off the island first? While they both need to go, let’s see which one TBD finds more annoying.

Oh yeah? Well the Cliche store called and they want to retire YOU!

I'll be using both through the rest of this season. I Trust McBeane's Process!

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

“Grammar Police” has commonly been used around here to refer to those taking issue with something other than the topic. You took issue with “cliche” applying to McBeane. One of the definitions of “cliche” is “something that has become overly familiar or commonplace.” I would say that McBeane, especially in these parts, would meet that definition. 

So grammar police is a cliche?

• Like (+1) 1