Matt Miller: 2020 draft set to have a "historic group" at WR, RB

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Four or five years? Seriously?

Tell me who the last franchise was with the same regime that won in their fourth year after three straight mediocre seasons?

You don't get 5 years in this league with 4 straight mediocre years. Just doesn't happen. 

Anything less than 9 wins is disappointing IMO. 

Anything less than 9 wins is disappointing, period.

I get it. These guys do seem to have a plan. Unless that plan yields wins in year 3, it's time to start seriously questioning whether they know what they're doing.

I'm not even predicting failure. I'm not playing the what-if game. I just notice some really low expectations creeping around the board. Plans are great. Wins are better.

On 5/10/2019 at 1:22 PM, Thurman#1 said:

I'd agree. He said he was going to tear down the Rex team and that the process was going to take time. Why would he say it would take 4-5 years when there certainly was a chance it would only take three, not a great chance, but a chance.

It's not speculation that they told the Pegulas the cap situation was a disaster and promised to get it in great shape by the 2019 season. Which meant a rebuild. Nor is it speculation that they like this regime. They hired McDermott and it was about a week later that they loved him so much they put him in charge over Whaley who at that point looked like the one guy that they really trusted and liked. They absolutely do love this brain trust. Not that that means that if the team falls apart it would all be OK. But the Pegulas understand rebuilds.

And yeah, the first two seasons of that rebuild have not shown inspiring football, particularly against good teams. That's what rebuilds look like for the first two years.

And agreed, if they don't show progress this year I'd agree that the hot seat is a good possibility. But it won't require playoffs and winning a game against NE. It'll require observable progress.

What a crock of *****.:lol:

You excuse makers could get some traction if you stopped exaggerating the cap situation.

Even with all the dead money Beane created they had average spending money in UFA in 2018 and huge cap room in 2019.

Beane hasn't been particularly effective with the cap........his Lotulelei contract is one of the worst in team history.........he threw $3M away on a one week tryout of Corey Coleman.......he just was fortunate to have inherited a team that had a lot of expiring contracts and chose not to retain an All Pro like Gilmore or a guy like Woods who put up 1200 yards receiving last year etc..    He's instead spent most of his money on middling FA's hoping to create some kind of synergy between that and McDermott's coaching.  

Unfortunately it didn't work last season........he was 0-9 in FA and this year he's got 17 new additions with similar pedigrees.........hopefully it works out better.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/7/2019 at 11:28 AM, BisonMan said:

"Bills fail to draft WR in 2019, upsetting fans" - typical headline

McBeane are smaaaart.

Trust the process.......

I personally would have loved for them to trade up for DK at around pick 58 to 59. I would have loved for them to take a chance on him as a Mike Evan's type deep threat even with the health concerns as at that pick you can take a chance. But I don't think any fan can really be that upset with their decision to draft Knox and Single in the 3rd round. Both were players of need even if some didn't feel the value was there. 

For one the team not drafting a WR means that they like what they have on the roster behind Brown and Beasley. They likely think that there is a good chance Foster and or Zay can develop into a reliable WR. I remember NY Giants fans in the 2007 off-season were bitching how the team didn’t sign any notable free agents. I forgot which pundit said it but he said that if a team has some cap space and doesn’t make any major acquisitions it probably means they like what they have on the roster. 

That was my interpretation of the Bills draft. They signed Brown and Beasley (so it is not like they are just rolling over the same core that didn’t produce) and they like Zay and Foster behind them. In 2020 if they need some more help they can go to the draft or find another player via trade or free agency. 

On 5/10/2019 at 12:38 PM, ScottLaw said:

100%

A win against the Patriots would be a start. McDermotts been absolutely dominated by BB to this point.

We were a team expected to win 3 games last year by many analysts, yet we kept it close with a journeyman QB on MNF... and the other game was our rookie QB’s first game in NE...if you were anticipating anything other than 2 losses to the super bowl champs, perhaps your expectations were a little unrealistic.