Matt Miller: 2020 draft set to have a "historic group" at WR, RB

2 hours ago, billspro said:

The preparation of this front office is unique. The wins will come and they will be sustained.

I think it's also great that they are taking care of the trenches and TE first.

Your skill players all look better with good blocking. It generally doesn't work the other way around. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

You're missing the difference between what will happen and what you think should happen.  In the event they go 8-8 or 9-7, neither will be fired.  I think they shouldn't but reasonable minds can disagree. Your opinion on what you think should happen is an outlier, and certainly not representative of what will likely happen. 

You're right.  I'm talking about what should happen, not necessarily what will happen.  I don't think anyone here knows for sure what the Pegulas will do, and of course there are a ton of variables other than the record that can and will determine how safe McDermott is.  I can foresee circumstances in which the team goes 8-8 and he's entirely safe and I can foresee circumstances where 9-7 lands him in the hot seat.  Getting badly outcoached by Belichick two more times would be a huge concern, no matter what the record is (short of winning 12 or 13 games, of course).  I don't think my opinion is really much of an outlier, but I don't particularly care one way or the other.?    

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is crazy but you could have drafted a receiver this year and you could draft one next year!!! ?

and these things are so fluid.  2017 was supposedly a bad qb class and 2018 was a great one.  Well possibly the 2 best qbs were in the 2017 class. 

Sure you could

but.....in this draft it seemed that the strong positions were DL and TE?   We heard that a lot?

and who did we take.....we even doubled down on TE's

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Yeah, unfortunately, folks are already lowering the bar for this year, saying they would be OK with 8-8 or 9-7--in other words, the same as under Rex--and that McDermott is pretty much guaranteed another year unless they go 2-14.  

I could not disagree more.  I think this year they need to (1) make the playoffs, and (2) win at least one game vs. NE or their seats are going to be extremely warm.  I do think Beane is on a longer leash than McDermott.   

The only way the seats get warm is if the team totally collapses and Allen takes a step back. McDermott just needs to be anti rex and he gets the full 5 years.

4 hours ago, Logic said:

The Bills ALREADY have Ian McKenzie (former 5th round pick, has gadget versatility, and who the staff clearly likes) and Duke Williams (CFL's leading WR last year) vying for that spot. What are the odds that a 4th or 5th round WR would have beaten out these two guys? Last year, the Bills drafted two WRs just because they needed them: Ray Ray McCloud and Austin Proehl. How did that work out? 

I would say the odds of a 4th/5th RD receiver beating out Duke Williams and McKitrick would be great if they were good.

Proehl and Ray Ray were just bad picks; period. The regime has yet to prove they can properly assess or develop receivers. They've done many things well, but the receiver position has not been one. I love Beasley so I'm pretty confident he'll work out. Foster looks like a guy who will be a vertical threat AT THE LEAST. Other than that, who knows?

Overall, it's great that they have a plan, but I think the plan needs to include winning football games starting now. That will be the ultimate measure of their success.

Edited by LSHMEAB

Buffalo has to draft D'andre Swift next year.  It's too perfect.  The fastest running back in the draft is named "Swift."  It would be like drafting a receiver name "Catch"  or of an offensive guard named Dozer.

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I just like the analogy that a receiving core should be like a basketball team.  We have the other guys but we really need a c/ PF type.  Young qbs need a big guy to just throw the ball up to.  

I guess Duke Williams isn’t getting a chance to compete for a job? We also have a 6’6” tight end and drafted a 6’4” target for Allen. I guess they don’t count either? It’s like you haven’t watched Gronk destroy this team for years. The patriots didn’t have a tall wide receiver, just guys that can create separation and space. The chiefs are built on speed not height. Bring in guys that can get open so our Qb doesn’t need to make a perfect pass every time, that’s how you really help him. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I guess Duke Williams isn’t getting a chance to compete for a job? We also have a 6’6” tight end and drafted a 6’4” target for Allen. I guess they don’t count either? It’s like you haven’t watched Gronk destroy this team for years. The patriots didn’t have a tall wide receiver, just guys that can create separation and space. The chiefs are built on speed not height. Bring in guys that can get open so our Qb doesn’t need to make a perfect pass every time, that’s how you really help him. 

Every team has a myriad of guys on the level of Duke Williams or David Sills.   Bottom line is that it's a matchup league and the Bills have a bottom 1/3 of the NFL WR and TE corps.   No defense is losing any sleep over the prospect of having to match up with Cole Beasley and John Brown.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Every team has a myriad of guys on the level of Duke Williams or David Sills.   Bottom line is that it's a matchup league and the Bills have a bottom 1/3 of the NFL WR and TE corps.   No defense is losing any sleep over the prospect of having to match up with Cole Beasley and John Brown.

Or we could show some patience and draft a guy next year and not have to spend $20 million. I get fans are antsy but it’s not the best option for sustained success IMO. Build through the draft. 

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I would say the odds of a 4th/5th RD receiver beating out Duke Williams and McKitrick would be great if they were good.

Proehl and Ray Ray were just bad picks; period. The regime has yet to prove they can properly assess or develop receivers. They've done many things well, but the receiver position has not been one. I love Beasley so I'm pretty confident he'll work out. Foster looks like a guy who will be a vertical threat AT THE LEAST. Other than that, who knows?

Overall, it's great that they have a plan, but I think the plan needs to include winning football games starting now. That will be the ultimate measure of their success.

I’m pretty sure that winning games now is part of the plan haha. They added a ton of talent this offseason. They redid almost half the team. For some of the fans here to criticize about them not grabbing a 5th new wide receiver this offseason is a bit absurd. They had a tall order going in to the offseason and with what resources and players they had available to them, they did quite well. If we have a run game again and Allen improves only slightly coupled with an improved defense, why couldn’t they make the playoffs or be right there? We saw a much less talented team make it two years ago. 

Would much rather grab a receiver in round 1 next year and have him on a rookie contract than give up our 1st round pick for a $20 million receiver. They’rebuilding for long term success...doesn’t mean they need to have a top 5 passing attack right away. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Both of the coaches for WR position were not impressive and each were let go.  I think that reflects in the draft process for coaches' opinion is often asked on prospective candidates.  We know it was true with Zay Jones whose college coach became Bills WR coach with Coach McD dumping a good WR coach in process.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Four guys I won't stop talking about for the next 12 months:

Ceedee Lamb-WR Oklahoma 6'2 189

Trey Adams-LT Washington 6'7 327

Yatur Gross Matos-DE Penn State 6'5 261

Kenny Willekes-DE Michigan State 6'4 260

When we didn't draft a wr in the first 2 rounds my attention immediately shifted to CeeDee Lamb.

CeeDee Lamb has the body control to be our Deandre Hopkins

if we are in the 20s in the 2020 draft I could see Beane making an expensive move to get in position to draft this transcendent talent. The move will coincide with Bills spending to cap as they try to swing for the fences while we still have josh on a value contract...My guess..

Edited by buffalover4life

13 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Or we could show some patience and draft a guy next year and not have to spend $20 million. I get fans are antsy but it’s not the best option for sustained success IMO. Build through the draft. 

Nothing to do with being "antsy" or even not fielding a SB competitor for 20 years.

It's about what's best for Allen.

The blueprint for elevating the level of young QB's has been to stock the roster with top level receivers and see what that QB has got without having to make excuses.

The thing the Bills organization can least afford is for Allen to have another awful passing season this year.

And talented or not breaking in a rookie WR1 in 2020 is not ideal for a team that probably HAS to be a contender or else........and little consolation if Allen is coming off a 54% completion % and more interceptions than TD's in 2019 again.  

At that point there will be a lot of questions about  "the process" and McBeane year 4 and Allen's career become reclamation projects.

Ultimately what you are talking about is slow building a roster...........the math on that doesn't work anymore.

Rookie contracts only run 4 years now before big $ decisions and/or free agency have to happen. 

Thus,  the roster balance that fans inherently crave is ultimately not sustainable...........you take care of what's most important.....at this stage of their QB development  maximum QB support is the blueprint.

You make due elsewhere.    

With a young QB there really isn't time to patiently stack talent like the late 80's Bills or even like Marv and Jauron who drafted players like Donte Whitner and Aaron Maybin knowing that they would have them for 6 years.

You gotta' prop up your young QB to find out if he's franchise or not.........in the process you get him to the point where he doesn't need "as much" talent around him by year 5 and when the roster dynamic starts changing dramatically.

If you slow play it and make excuses then before you know it you end up with a Ryan Tannehill situation where you may even be compelled to extend him and pass on other QB's in the draft while not knowing what he can do.

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, Logic said:

Foster
Brown 
Beasley
Jones

With those 4 guys likely being locked in at WR and with the Bills set to carry no more than 6 WRs maximum, one of whom will likely be return man Andre Roberts, and with useful players like Ian McKenzie and Duke Williams also vying for playing time....it's crazy to me that people are so put out about the Bills not drafting a WR5. They did, however, go out and get two UDFA WRs in Easley and Sills who, had they been drafted in the 5th round, would have received universal praise from Bills fans.

I get wanting the Bills to draft a WR. I also get why they DIDN'T draft a WR, and I think anyone that got too bent out of shape about it is/was being silly. You can't just take a guy at a position just because you need one, and say value be damned. If you go by the "Best player available" strategy, which Beane has told us again and again he does, you begin to see that the best player left on the board each time the Bills picked was NOT a wide receiver. Go back and look at the Singletary pick and the WRs available at that time. Who should they have picked? Ditto the Knox pick. You could argue that they should've taken a guy in the 5th or 6th round, but at that point the odds that said player would have a substantial impact are low any way. And again, they got what many believed to be 5th/6th round caliber talent at WR via undrafted free agency in Sills and Easley.

Brown and Beasley were great pickups.   Much better than draft picks and rookies.  

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nothing to do with being "antsy" or even not fielding a SB competitor for 20 years.

It's about what's best for Allen.

The blueprint for elevating the level of young QB's has been to stock the roster with top level receivers and see what that QB has got without having to make excuses.

The thing the Bills organization can least afford is for Allen to have another awful passing season this year.

And talented or not breaking in a rookie WR1 in 2020 is not ideal for a team that probably HAS to be a contender or else........and little consolation if Allen is coming off a 54% completion % and more interceptions than TD's in 2019 again.  

At that point there will be a lot of questions about  "the process" and McBeane year 4 and Allen's career become reclamation projects.

Ultimately what you are talking about is slow building a roster...........the math on that doesn't work anymore.

Rookie contracts only run 4 years now before big $ decisions and/or free agency have to happen. 

Thus,  the roster balance that fans inherently crave is ultimately not sustainable...........you take care of what's most important.....at this stage of their QB development  maximum QB support is the blueprint.

You make due elsewhere.    

With a young QB there really isn't time to patiently stack talent like the late 80's Bills or even like Marv and Jauron who drafted players like Donte Whitner and Aaron Maybin knowing that they would have them for 6 years.

You gotta' prop up your young QB to find out if he's franchise or not.........in the process you get him to the point where he doesn't need "as much" talent around him by year 5 and when the roster dynamic starts changing dramatically.

If you slow play it and make excuses then before you know it you end up with a Ryan Tannehill situation where you may even be compelled to extend him and pass on other QB's in the draft while not knowing what he can do.

I understand the situation. However, you must have the opportunity to trade and it has to be the right player at the right cost. I would not trade our 1st round pick next year for cooper when there is a potentially great class of wide receivers/weapons coming out next year. That could be a player you pair with Allen for the next decade. Cooper will have already been on his 3rd team if we make a deal. That’s raising a lot of red flags. 

I understand the need to have more talent around Allen but it has to be the right player at the right cost. Antonio Brown was the right cost but the wrong player. AJ Green is a free agent next season. If we were to trade for a top guy, he could be the target. Bengals are a rebuilding team and we are loading up for a run. He could cost less because he is 30 and on the last year of his deal. Availability is a question mark but for a rebuilding bengals team, a draft pick may be more important to them. He’s a more appropriate target IMO but patience is necessary. There’s months before they play a game and teams haven’t been able to evaluate all of their new pieces yet. 

Edited by Buffalo30