Outland Trophy Winner Ed Oliver

According to Wikipedia, “The Outland Trophy is awarded to the best college football interior lineman in the United States as adjudged by the Football Writers Association of America.”

Ed Oliver won this award while still a teenager a few days before his 20th birthday.  How big is this award? It does not only include defensive linemen but also offensive linemen. Two longtime Buffalo Bills, both now on the Wall of Fame, have won the Outland Trophy. It doesn’t have the hype and glamour of the Heisman but can be considered the highest achievement for those who play in the “trenches”.

How many greats have won this award?  Here’s more than a few going back a ways, that stand out to me.

Alex Karras- member of the NFL 1960’s All Decade Team and later a TV actor

Merlin Olsen- NFL Hall of Fame who also became a TV actor

Bobby Bell- NFL Hall of Fame as a KC linebacker

Tommy Nobis-1960’s All Decade Team who played guard on offense and linebacker in college

Ron Yary- NFL Hall of Fame, Drafted first overall in 1968 NFL Draft.

Randy White- NFL Hall of Fame who followed great Bob Lilly

Lee Roy Selmon- NFL Hall of Fame and Pro Football Weekly’s  All Time 3-4 Defensive Team

Jim Ritcher- Bills great who played here in Buffalo for over 14 years

Bruce Smith- NFL Hall of Fame and All Time Sack Leader and in the argument for GBOAT

Orlando Pace- NFL Hall of Famer and first offensive lineman picked first (1997) since Yary in 1968

Joe Thomas- 7 time first team pro bowler and sure Hall of Famer

Ndamukong Ngwa Suh-one of the best defensive tackles in the game

Aaron Donald- recognized as the best defensive tackle currently playing

I realize that not all Outland Trophy winners are Hall of Famers, but getting this award is special.

Without wanting to pressurize the young fella, I think we need to recognize the rare talent here, who seems to have the potential to be an All-Time Bills Great.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, joevan said:

According to Wikipedia, “The Outland Trophy is awarded to the best college football interior lineman in the United States as adjudged by the Football Writers Association of America.”

Ed Oliver won this award while still a teenager a few days before his 20th birthday.  How big is this award? It does not only include defensive linemen but also offensive linemen. Two longtime Buffalo Bills, both now on the Wall of Fame, have won the Outland Trophy. It doesn’t have the hype and glamour of the Heisman but can be considered the highest achievement for those who play in the “trenches”.

How many greats have won this award?  Here’s more than a few going back a ways, that stand out to me.

Alex Karras- member of the NFL 1960’s All Decade Team and later a TV actor

Merlin Olsen- NFL Hall of Fame who also became a TV actor

Bobby Bell- NFL Hall of Fame as a KC linebacker

Tommy Nobis-1960’s All Decade Team who played guard on offense and linebacker in college

Ron Yary- NFL Hall of Fame, Drafted first overall in 1968 NFL Draft.

Randy White- NFL Hall of Fame who followed great Bob Lilly

Lee Roy Selmon- NFL Hall of Fame and Pro Football Weekly’s  All Time 3-4 Defensive Team

Jim Ritcher- Bills great who played here in Buffalo for over 14 years

Bruce Smith- NFL Hall of Fame and All Time Sack Leader and in the argument for GBOAT

Orlando Pace- NFL Hall of Famer and first offensive lineman picked first (1997) since Yary in 1968

Joe Thomas- 7 time first team pro bowler and sure Hall of Famer

Ndamukong Ngwa Suh-one of the best defensive tackles in the game

Aaron Donald- recognized as the best defensive tackle currently playing

I realize that not all Outland Trophy winners are Hall of Famers, but getting this award is special.

Without wanting to pressurize the young fella, I think we need to recognize the rare talent here, who seems to have the potential to be an All-Time Bills Great.

That’s good company. Even if he weren’t to make the Hall of Fame, having a career like the non-Hall of Famers would still be great. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just to put Ed Oliver’s 4.19 short-shuttle time into perspective, here’s some other notable results:

4.18 – Antonio Brown

4.19 -- Ed Oliver
4.19 – DeSean Jackson
4.24 – Saquon Barkley
4.24 – Le’Veon Bell
4.25 – Julio Jones
4.39 – Aaron Donald

4.40 -- Devin Singletary

Cat like quickness for a 290 lb man.  Over 110 lbs heavier than Desean Jackson and Antonio Brown. Incredible.
Here is a comparison with Donald, they are about the same ht wgt and arm length.
  40-yard dash 3-cone Short shuttle Vertical Broad Bench
Donald 4.68s 7.11s 4.39s 32″ 116″ 35 reps
Oliver 4.73s 7.15s 4.19s 36″ 120″ 32 reps

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Just to put Ed Oliver’s 4.19 short-shuttle time into perspective, here’s some other notable results:

4.18 – Antonio Brown

4.19 -- Ed Oliver
4.19 – DeSean Jackson
4.24 – Saquon Barkley
4.24 – Le’Veon Bell
4.25 – Julio Jones
4.39 – Aaron Donald

4.40 -- Devin Singletary

Cat like quickness for a 290 lb man.  Over 110 lbs heavier than Desean Jackson and Antonio Brown. Incredible.

I've seen these stats several times now and it still blows me away how crazy that number is.  Freakish......

• Like (+1) 4

He's an athletic freak, which is clearly something that Beane looks for in the first round (3/3).  Greatest athletic ability = highest ceiling. 

Oliver was the perfect pick at the perfect time.  He probably won't replace Kyle Williams in the locker room, but I think what he does on the field will help us get over the loss.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

And by the way, and you didn't hear it from me....

Marv Levy used to always "challenge Jim Ritcher to get bigger or end his career.

There would be a weigh in at the start of camp/OTA's whatever.

They would allow you to wear a baseball hat at the weigh in.

Jim's wife used to sew weights into the baseball hat to get Jim a few extra pounds.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Turk71 said:

4.18 – Antonio Brown

4.19 -- Ed Oliver
4.19 – DeSean Jackson
4.24 – Saquon Barkley
4.24 – Le’Veon Bell
4.25 – Julio Jones
4.39 – Aaron Donald

4.40 -- Devin Singletary

Here is a comparison with Donald, they are about the same ht wgt and arm length.
  40-yard dash 3-cone Short shuttle Vertical Broad Bench
Donald 4.68s 7.11s 4.39s 32″ 116″ 35 reps
Oliver 4.73s 7.15s 4.19s 36″ 120″ 32 reps

A true freak of nature who may not yet be through filling out his frame based on age. 

On 5/7/2019 at 10:29 AM, sherpa said:

Jim Ritcher was simply not big enough to have the impact to make the HOF, but he certainly made the best of what physical stature he had.

played one SB at 238 LBs

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:51 PM, dubs said:

I honestly think he’s going to be awesome. Could be wrong but just a gut feeling I have here, Bruce Smith level career. 

nobody in the game right now is at the bruce smith level.....so its possible but doubtful.