Bills hire two new scouts, including son of Alonzo Highsmith

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I thought @The Senator said "the fabulous Mulbah" was the one going to the XFL.   I'm glad they were able to retain him and I am sure @TroutDog is at full mast over this!:thumbsup:

I figured Szabo must've got canned.  Probably was one of Beane's co-conspirators on the Bills 2017 draft class.:flirt:

Shouldn't they be thanking us for jumping ahead to draft Zay & Dawkins?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GG said:

Shouldn't they be thanking us for jumping ahead to draft Zay & Dawkins?

Excerpt from Panther personnel meeting in February 2017:

"Just a thought here Dave......but you know you can never have TOO MANY good QB's.......what say we bring in Trubisky, Watson and Mahomes for visits JUST IN CASE one of them slips to our fourth round pick?  I mean we can't draft 30 players anyway, amirite?  Who's with me?  Ok, Mike see's it.  Anyone else? Nobody?  Really?  C'mon."

52 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, and the pay isn’t great.  But you’re grinding hoping to get promoted. God it would be awesome to have a dad with NFL connections.

Yeah i read about those quality control coaches working of 100 hour weeks for like 20K a year and i wonder why anyone would do it...I guess the answer is its sort of like a roght of passage that you have to go through to get to the high paying jobs...guess it weeds out people who dont truly love football...nobody is working those hours for crap pay otherwise

2 hours ago, eball said:

Why the hell would a guy who is a pro scout in the NFL leave to take a job with the XFL?  If it's just money it seems pretty short-sighted.

Perhaps more responsibilities also...might help him land a better job once he shows he already did that work somewhere

Edited by matter2003

59 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Excerpt from Panther personnel meeting in February 2017:

"Just a thought here Dave......but you know you can never have TOO MANY good QB's.......what say we bring in Trubisky, Watson and Mahomes for visits JUST IN CASE one of them slips to our fourth round pick?  I mean we can't draft 30 players anyway, amirite?  Who's with me?  Ok, Mike see's it.  Anyone else? Nobody?  Really?  C'mon."

Response: "Nah Brandon, chill, while everyone else loses their ***** and reaches for these kids like Mahomes, Watson, Trubisky, Mayfield, Allen and Darnold I am gonna wait it out. There is a freshman at Duke who has teabagged Peyton Manning and can throw it like 6 yards downfield I have got me eye on.... just you watch....."

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Response: "Nah Brandon, chill, while everyone else loses their ***** and reaches for these kids like Mahomes, Watson, Trubisky, Mayfield, Allen and Darnold I am gonna wait it out. There is a freshman at Duke who has teabagged Peyton Manning and can throw it like 6 yards downfield I have got me eye on.... just you watch....."

The tea-bagging aspect is what put Gettlenutz into full blown love.   It's one thing all the greats can do.    You didn't want to pass out drunk at one of Kelly's post-game parties back in the day.    T-bagged or Talley-whacked.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I had forgotten that Miami pillaged Marvin Allen for their assistant GM leaving that Senior National Scout position vacant.

Miami had a better draft than expected and the Rosen pickup was not too shabby with their current needs and depth at QB.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Get a look at the PC.  It looks like it could use a little updating.....  It might take 5&1/4 floppies.....

Hope House saved those mocks to the floppies ...

• Haha (+1) 1

One thing that made the Bills a powerhouse in the late 80’s and into the 90’s was Bill Polish was able to convince Ralph Wilson that scouting was of the upmost importance. The Bills actually had the largest college and pro scouting staff in the NFL backin those days which allowed them to scout Kutztown State, Benedictine, North Dakota State, Alabama A&M amongst other small college outposts.

Seems as if they are getting back to that. Good news indeed.

No salary cap on scouts! Get the best money can buy! 

Having said that, I heard today (NFL Radio?) that the Cheaters* haven’t drafted a Pro Bowler in 5 years.....so I guess it helps a bit to have the best QB and (one of) the best HC’s of all time. 

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

One thing that made the Bills a powerhouse in the late 80’s and into the 90’s was Bill Polish was able to convince Ralph Wilson that scouting was of the upmost importance. The Bills actually had the largest college and pro scouting staff in the NFL backin those days which allowed them to scout Kutztown State, Benedictine, North Dakota State, Alabama A&M amongst other small college outposts.

Seems as if they are getting back to that. Good news indeed.

The Bills system under Polian birthed Dave Gettleman(Bills scout 87'-93').........who taught Brandon Beane everything he knew about GM'ing.

Unfortunately none of the long list of guys Polian raised up and helped advance to GM positions won any SB's in that capacity and Polian himself was 1 for 6 despite having Jim Kelly AND Peyton Manning.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills system under Polian birthed Dave Gettleman(Bills scout 87'-93').........who taught Brandon Beane everything he knew about GM'ing.

Unfortunately none of the long list of guys Polian raised up and helped advance to GM positions won any SB's in that capacity and Polian himself was 1 for 6 despite having Jim Kelly AND Peyton Manning.

So your saying that Polian was the Ringo Star of NFL general managers.

10 minutes ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

So your saying that Polian was the Ringo Star of NFL general managers.

Well.......yes.......Polian would definitely remind you that he was still a Beatle at every opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So, you are saying having less scouts is a better thing?

Thanks for playing. You win the idiotic post of the week award.

13 hours ago, Augie said:

No salary cap on scouts! Get the best money can buy! 

Having said that, I heard today (NFL Radio?) that the Cheaters* haven’t drafted a Pro Bowler in 5 years.....so I guess it helps a bit to have the best QB and (one of) the best HC’s of all time. 

NE does not want a lot of stars, just role players who can execute Bill's game plan.

Even when they have picked up veteran star players in the past, those guys shut up and tow the line even if they only get a bit role in a game.

Part of the reason IMO Beane said they don't buy into the #1 wide receiver concept.

Edited by WideNine

12 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

So, you are saying having less scouts is a better thing?

Thanks for playing. You win the idiotic post of the week award.

I'm saying it would hardly be a surprise if an outer branch of the Polian tree would have a similar approach.

But in reality the Bills don't have a large staff of player personnel...........they have a fairly standard sized 18 man group...........teams like the Browns and Eagles have numbers in the 20's. 

Whether more people in the personnel department helps or clouds the evaluation I don't know........ but it's not a clear case of the Bills fielding unusual numbers in their scouting department as you claim they are.

Rex having the largest coaching staff in NFL history certainly didn't lead to a smarter, more prepared team on gameday.    Sometimes too many chefs spoil the stew.