One way to help Josh Allen's accuracy: Fewer dropped passes

What people fail to realize or maybe choose to ignore is the impact timing, accuracy, ball placement and decision making have on drops. Its not one directional - drops only decrease completion % thus accuracy.

You throw a better football in the right places and you will have less drops. You throw the underneath or the check down instead of throwing downfield when he is not open.

Yes, better WR's can help bail out a less accurate QB. But lets stop making excuses. Prior to the draft he was considered inaccurate. After playing his first season he proved to be inaccurate. That is on him, not on the drops. He can make improvements in both accuracy and in decision making that can and should greatly help his accuracy. 

• Like (+1) 1

Those pesky “dropped passes”.  Been plaguing Josh Allen since his JV days of High School.

If I were Allen, his agent or his parents I’d think there was some conspiracy going on.

No matter if it is High School, College or the NFL.

sub 60 % completion.

I mean...what do all these WRs have against Allen?  No matter where Allen goes he just seems to have the worst luck of being stuck with WRs that cannot catch.  Or they are all out to get him.

I mean those are the only two possible reasons, right?

Josh Allen sucks Bills are doomed

30 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Those pesky “dropped passes”.  Been plaguing Josh Allen since his JV days of High School.

If I were Allen, his agent or his parents I’d think there was some conspiracy going on.

No matter if it is High School, College or the NFL.

sub 60 % completion.

I mean...what do all these WRs have against Allen?  No matter where Allen goes he just seems to have the worst luck of being stuck with WRs that cannot catch.  Or they are all out to get him.

I mean those are the only two possible reasons, right?

Josh Allen sucks Bills are doomed to another 17 yr drought.   JK

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Fewer dropped passes helps increase his completion percentage. Accuracy and completion percentage always the same.

Gotta disagree. Completion percentage equals catches. Accuracy equals ball placement. May seem like splitting hairs, but accurate ball placement is often the difference between receivers being able to make a play after the catch or not or preventing the defender from making a play or not. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

It is not just the drops-every week in the NFL now you see receivers-sometimes even RBs-make catches they have no business making-just amazing plays-one handed catches used to be unusual-not now-I don't remember even one incredible catch last year from a Bill. Josh Allen is a strong QB already-you don't win with just one player-the rest of the offense needs to step it up. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

What people fail to realize or maybe choose to ignore is the impact timing, accuracy, ball placement and decision making have on drops. Its not one directional - drops only decrease completion % thus accuracy.

You throw a better football in the right places and you will have less drops. You throw the underneath or the check down instead of throwing downfield when he is not open.

Yes, better WR's can help bail out a less accurate QB. But lets stop making excuses. Prior to the draft he was considered inaccurate. After playing his first season he proved to be inaccurate. That is on him, not on the drops. He can make improvements in both accuracy and in decision making that can and should greatly help his accuracy. 

Thats a cop out. Receivers job is to catch footballs. While I agree that there were situations where josh could have taken some off, our teams drops were largely due to bad hands.. 

• Like (+1) 4

25 minutes ago, Toesy said:

It is not just the drops-every week in the NFL now you see receivers-sometimes even RBs-make catches they have no business making-just amazing plays-one handed catches used to be unusual-not now-I don't remember even one incredible catch last year from a Bill. Josh Allen is a strong QB already-you don't win with just one player-the rest of the offense needs to step it up. 

I think a highlight reel of amazing, circus style catches from last year would be pretty short.  I can't think of a top 3.  Maybe start a thread:  The Most Amazing Catches of the 2018 Bills Season!.  Ask for nominees.  Maybe someone can come up with a couple to refresh my memory.  Crickets, I'd bet.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I don’t recall seeing any PBUs in that video, and I agree those are different from drops.  

There were definitely a couple. One against the Lions (by Slay) and one other (maybe against the Jags?) that stand out in my memory.

This just gives everyone something to talk about regarding Allen...he did make some bad throws but also threw some beautiful deep TDs to Foster and threw well in late season games...he'll be fine

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There were definitely a couple. One against the Lions (by Slay) and one other (maybe against the Jags?) that stand out in my memory.

Sorry, I meant out of the 34 that I counted as drops. 

50 minutes ago, Toesy said:

Certainly think this is true. Not plays you can expect a receiver to make every time but a catch that a receiver will make once or twice a season and if they all do that (your top 5 receivers, your top 2 backs and your top 2 tight ends) that is 18 catches over the season. Those 18 catches take Josh's completion percentage to 58%.

Worth saying that I still agree with K9 above about accuracy vs completion % - it was a point I made over and over with Tyrod (completed does not = accurate) but if we are purely focussed on trying to complete more balls which helps move the chains then those great catches make a difference.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Sorry, I meant out of the 34 that I counted as drops. 

Ah sorry Doc. Thought you meant from the video as a whole.

• Like (+1) 1

Geez... are these people like just watching last season or something????

First the PFF thread acknowledges Allen had the 2nd highest drop rate in the NFL... duuuuhhhh!

Now this article arguing it in an actual article.

Been arguing since the season ended that Allen's completion percentage was less a product of him than the talent surrounding him. 

I guess better late to the party than not showing up at all.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Allen ranked last among all starting quarterbacks last season in completion percentage at just 52.8. The league average was 64.8 percent.

This equates to roughly three more completions per game, if you've got between 25-30 attempts.  If all Josh does is improve his short game (dump offs and check downs) I see this gap closing significantly.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Gotta disagree. Completion percentage equals catches. Accuracy equals ball placement. May seem like splitting hairs, but accurate ball placement is often the difference between receivers being able to make a play after the catch or not or preventing the defender from making a play or not. 

I'm pretty sure Bangarang was being sarcastic in his comment and has the same view as you.  Can we get a sarcasm font on this board to eliminate these misunderstandings?

Accuracy is not completion percentage.  Nor is it ball placement. I have posted the  dartboard analogy more than once around here:

Image result for dartboard diagram for accuracy vs. precision

Completion percentage has nothing to do with accuracy.  You could hit 20 guys right on the numbers and if they drop 10 your completion percentage is 50%.

People use the term ball placement.  That refers to precision or ability to hit a specific target repeatedly.  Allen is reasonably accurate; his throws are in a catchable range for the most part (although he certainly had some that were not).  Go back like I did and look at each pass over his last several games and you'll see that.  He needs to be more precise with ball placement to allow receivers to make plays after the catch, and on his shorter throws.